41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
They'd lose compresion and spooling heat

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
So far nobody trusts these cams..they're overpriced and they're useless for boosted applications. Sweet..calling crower tomorrow.
Its not that we dont trust the cams. Its that they are mostly a unknown. Would you pay $600-$700 for something that might not work? Cams are a tricky subject and those that work well are made for a specific setups.

I asked about f/i cams long ago and we arrived at the same conclusion. There's really little feedback to go with. It will either work, or you'll be stuck with a expensive paperweight. This is the sad thing about owning a car with little aftermarket.

Crowers have more than enough at they're favor in the n/a department, but this is F/I.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
and yup, I bought a set that had apparently been floating around here some years back. With the cam card. 114 degree lobe centers = F.I. all other specs the same

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
let us know the results :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If you would look in to cam thread you will notice that colt cams is not a news to the site.

One member bought them and did comparison dyno of colt vs crower (both tests were done on low compression engine, but colt showed 5-8 hp more through the whole powerband.

These are the specks for cams that were done for tib
TRI FLOW cams for 2.7 delta

Primary intake Valve
218 duration
.365 lift

Secondary Intake
210 duration
.355 lift

Exhaust
218 duration
.365 lift

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Ah, i guess we mostly failed at reading :O

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
If you would look in to cam thread you will notice that colt cams is not a news to the site.

One member bought them and did comparison dyno of colt vs crower (both tests were done on low compression engine, but colt showed 5-8 hp more through the whole powerband.

These are the specks for cams that were done for tib
TRI FLOW cams for 2.7 delta

Primary intake Valve
218 duration
.365 lift

Secondary Intake
210 duration
.355 lift

Exhaust
218 duration
.365 lift

Can they handle 15-20 psi?

If so choosing which set of cams to go with is going to be very annoyingly difficult..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It seems that you are in luck, as i saved his PM :)

NOW keep in mind that he has low compression pistons and Stage 5 (motoria) manifold (ebay $**** that resulted in no mid power... more restrictive then stock) - so power diferance might be bigger at top since restricted engine could not use full potential of high lift that tryflow has. Never the less you can see difference between the two ...i would use tryflow only if you staying N/A - it does not cost anything to turn up boost a bit to make up difference.

DYNO:
Green= Crower 349 lift
Blue= TRI FLOW

cold start:
[ame]http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/djhabit15/?action=view&current=camclip2.flv[/ame]
[ame]http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t231/djhabit15/?action=view&current=camclip.flv[/ame]

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Thats just the thing, gains in a n/a car wont necesarily also show gains in a f/i car.

·
Banned
1,360 Posts
people that dont even hit 20 psi of boost and are asking for troubles with cams?,people,if you are f/i keep the stock cams and be happy until you starts making serious power and i mean 500 pius hp.now tell me that you gonna make a good turbo combination,because with a bad turbo combination even the best cams will not make their work,

·
Banned
1,360 Posts
Turbo..gunning 300 until I get internals, after that it's going to be 500+
you should forget about the cams until you pass the 500 mark that for me nobody have pass before,leave your cams alone and live a happy life,modify something like cams before even test the stock ones with the turbo is a naive modification.im on 25 psi and stock cams,boost is free so i will increase the boost until something tell me there is no more power,then i will do something like cams or head.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
you should forget about the cams until you pass the 500 mark that for me nobody have pass before,leave your cams alone and live a happy life,modify something like cams before even test the stock ones with the turbo is a naive modification.im on 25 psi and stock cams,boost is free so i will increase the boost until something tell me there is no more power,then i will do something like cams or head.
Well, the main reason I wanted cams was to have more of an aggressive powerband..

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
and yup, I bought a set that had apparently been floating around here some years back. With the cam card. 114 degree lobe centers = F.I. all other specs the same
Hey duffer! I can't wait to see what you can do with my paper weights. Glad to know I never installed them- I never had the intention of going turbo.

Promo- I'm not going to say what to do with your money. All I know is that if you have the patience and ability to try cams that have yet to be truly appreciated and pushed, then I say you go for it. You've made it plain that you have high aspirations, so I think it's time to nut up or shut up.

don't upset Tallahassee

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Blanco says stay stock,
Duffer's going to install F/I cams,
shamansshark says do whatever you want because you'll still fail with F/I..

Zion has no ****ing clue what to do about cams...

This is such an easy decision...

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.