Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is an odd one...tried searching, but didn't really come up with much....

I've had my I4 tibby for 4 years now....I am seriously contemplating getting a turbo installed for next summer...my question is this:

On an entry level intercooled system (Alpine or custom) with a stock clutch etc, what car would this compare to? I've heard horsepower and torque numbers, BUT I was hoping someone could compare that to a car on the market today. Such as: Neon SRT4, Cobalt SS, Mustang GT, Eclipse GT?

I haven't been in too many fast cars...The only ones in fact were a 99 Mustang GT and a Golf VR6...both had amazing pickup and torque...How would a turbo'd tibby compare? 8-10psi?

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
pretty good you could hang with v8s.....And another very big thing all the boosted tibs have are they are sLEEEEEPERSSSS

·
Registered
656 Posts
SRT4-NO
Cobalt SS-Yes
Mustang GT-maybe older but not new 06's
Eclipse GT-again older ones but not new ones

Alpine Entry Level with minor upgrades (exhaust, wires)= similar to Eclipse GST or Talon Tsi

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
chris929 said:
SRT4-NO
Cobalt SS-Yes
Mustang GT-maybe older but not new 06's
Eclipse GT-again older ones but not new ones

Alpine Entry Level with minor upgrades (exhaust, wires)= similar to Eclipse GST or Talon Tsi
a cobalt ss is faster then a new eclipse gt.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
New Eclipse is a Pee Eye Double G!!

An Entry Level Kit running at 8-9psi will smoke an 3rd Gen Eclipse GT as well as a Stock 1st and 2nd Gen. You have to remember the Entry Level Kit is installed on a stock compression engine. At 9psi you will be at around 200WHP with a much lighter car.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
2006 Eclipse = Slow(er). 263 HP means crap when you're approaching 4000lbs with driver and a tank of fuel. The GTs will still run around the 15 sec mark at the track though, so they do haul their weight around decently....don't get too cocky.

Anyhow. Look to be quicker than RX-8s as well. Older Mustang GT's will be a good race - New ones are faster... Cobalt Supercharged SS's run around the 15 second mark as well. SRT-4s are still out of your league, unfortunately...

Just get the kit, and be glad you did! I'm surprised you lasted this long without getting one! Buying a turbocharged car is one thing, but owning an N/A ride, and then converting it, wel...that just feels incredible.

-BRR

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input guys...I was waiting for Ryan to finish his custom kit, but I'm looking at the Alpine now...I don't have the cash to go balls out, thats why I wanted to know how good an entry level kit is and how it compares to other cars on the road...I'm not going to race at the track, I just want a nice pull...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
chris929 said:
2006 Eclipse GT=263 hp
2006 Cobalt SS (supercharged)=205 hp

yeah gotta look at weight u should know that u drive a pig also a tiburon. yeah newest eclipse run like 15 or 14.9 cobalt SS run 14.6

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
TibZ said:
Saw the sale....Thinking about the intercooled system....This is probably the best bang for the buck
Don't think....boost!

-BRR

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was hoping to bump this thread....

Took a supercharged cobalt out on the weekend...VERY nice...

07 Eclipse GT is fast, but heavy as hell...

If a turbo'd Tibby can match the Cobalt on the entry level Alpine kit, then I'm saving my money :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Lets put it this way,I can stay close to a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP S/C v6.He had me by about less than a half a car length @7psi.Thats all I want to run until intercooled
thats bad ***...:3_lurk: so do you have the head spacer? or are you still on stock compression bro?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have alpines setup with a custom FMIC, and at 15psi I pull away on my friends 06 STi (only from a rolling start)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have alpines setup with a custom FMIC, and at 15psi I pull away on my friends 06 STi (only from a rolling start)
And that right there ladies and gentlemen, is why boosted Tibs (and Elantras...lol...) are so worth the money!!!

-BRR

·
Registered
473 Posts
enough said....the 2.0l is a monster....this just pumps me up even more on purchasing the alpine kit....I LOVE this time of year tax return....finally getin' some boost baby:3_zoefzoe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts