Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a complete DIY on the 2-Seat Conversion. There are few DIYs on this topic, however most are incomplete, or missing pictures. Due to this I figured I would make my own thorough DIY on the subject. I will not be going over how to remove the rear seats so that will be a prerequisite to this tutorial.

https://www.newtiburon.com/forums/diy-interior/177173-rear-seat-removal.html

--NOTE: Before this I had no experience working with wood, carpeting, or MDF. This tutorial can be completed by beginners with patience and perseverance--

Tools Required:
-Jigsaw (I used the cheapest Ryobi at home depot)
-Sandpaper
-3M Super 77 Fabric/multipurpose adhesive
-box cutter
-tape measurer
-Cordless drill
-Screws (4 long wood screws, 22 small metal screws)
-90 degree brackets (I used 11 brackets)

Materials required:
-MDF board (Size can range depending on your particular needs. I purchased a 5 foot x 3 foot, 3/4 inch thick piece of MDF and was able to cut all of my pieces from this. I bought more than needed just to be safe. Instead of 3/4 inch you may use 1/2 inch thickness, however I did not want to risk the MDF breaking if something heavy were to put to much stress on it.)
-Sub-box carpetting (Purchased from a local car audio store)
-Cardboard to cut out the template

Step 1: Measure the area you will be covering!

This step can be very meticulous. BUUUUTTTT I did it for you. I have the measurements for the cardboard posted in the second picture. Please note these are rough measurements used to make a template for the MDF. After cutting the MDF to this size, additional shaving/sanding/cutting will be needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step 2: Making the wood template

You will be making 6 pieces. The bigger top board, the thin long middle board that will go along the front as support, the two smaller boards that go on either side of the thin long board, and lastly 2 tiny boards to use to anchor the top board down (shown in pictures)

Trace your cardboard cutout of the top piece onto the MDF. Once you have finished tracing, cut out the MDF using the jigsaw. After this, check to make sure the MDF piece fits into the space covering the rear seat area. The board will should be able to slide under the hump between the rear seats and trunk area. (It may take a few more sessions of cutting and rechecking to ensure you have a perfect fit. After the top piece of MDF is complete, set it in the rear seat area and use something to hold it up (I used a water bottle on each side, you must do this part in order to measure the height of the 3 front pieces that support the top piece. The middle long piece of mdf I measured out to be 4x33 inches. Unfortunately I cut the 2 smaller pieces that go on both sides of the 4x33 piece uneven and measured improperly so one side is actually longer than the other, so for these 2 pieces you must do your own measurements.

After measuring the front pieces to your liking, cut them out on the MDF and test fit. After cutting the three front pieces, cut out 2 smaller pieces of MDF (I used a 3 inch x 5 inch piece) These two pieces will be used to support the top board. Now this part get kind of tricky and will require you to get into a somewhat tight space. Place the Big top MDF cutout over the rear seat area, supported by something that will hold it up in front. After it is supported look inside the metal area under the Big cutout and you will see that on either side are these two square looking hooks used for the rear seats. This is what the two smaller pieces will be connected to. You will need to measure the distance between the hook and the MDF. you will then need to use the jigsaw to cut out a line in the 2 small pieces for the hook to slide onto (As shown in pictures, it is not easy to explain but easy to show)

Picture 2: Because the interior black trim on the sides of the car are not straight, you will have to cut at somewhat of an arch. However as long as you draw it out of the MDF the cut should be easy to make with the jigsaw (highly recommended that you have a second person to help hold the wood while you cut)

Picture 5: This is the front piece that goes on either side of the long board in front. You will need to cut two of these out (as stated mine were measured incorrectly and thus are not the same size on either side but I made it work.

Picture 6: This is the piece that will be connect to the little hook and supporting the top board. you will need to cut out two (again I used 3x5 inch pieces)

Picture 7: shows one of the small supporting pieces attached to the hook and supporting the top board

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step 2 1/2: Final shaving, cutting, sanding

I spent many, many times going back and forth to re-sand or re-cut to get the perfect fit for everything. For those of you better with woodworking it may be a little easier. After you have checked the fit of everything and it looks neat, you are ready to carpet!

Step 3: Carpeting (easier if you have someone to help hold the carpet straight)

Lay the carpet flat on the ground (Make sure you do not glue the wrong side as you will regret this). Ensure you leave enough carpet around the edges of each piece to fold over. Follow the same procedure for each piece. Spray the section of carpet and piece of MDF that will be joined together with 3M SUPER 77 ADHESIVE. Lay the piece of MDF on the carpet ensuring the carpet remains flat. After the piece has been laid on the glued carpet, make some relief cuts along the edges of the carpet using the BOX CUTTER (this will ensure the carpet looks clean when you fold the edges). Spray the sides of the carpet and MDF and fold it over. After this has been completed for each piece you may go to step 4!

Picture 8, 9, and 10 show the appearance of the carpeted pieces.

NOTICE: Their are wires from the fuel pump that will need to go under the long front piece of MDF. Take SANDPAPER or a wood shaver and sand a small section of the long middle 4x33 inch piece. Seen in picture 11. I suggest you do this before carpeting. I did not notice until the carpet was already on and it made the job a little messier.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Step 4: Putting it all together

This is where you will need the smaller metal screws, longer wood screws, and 90 degree metal brackets. Start this process with everything taken out leaving just the rear seat metal exposed. Take the front 3 pieces (1 long piece and 2 smaller side pieces) and mount them to the car using the metal screws and brackets. For the middle piece I used 3 brackets + 6 screws. For each of the smaller side pieces I used 2 brackets + 4 screws. (Picture 12)

(Because these are metal brackets you will be able to bend them to whatever angle you need and they will retain their strength. For the side pieces you may need to bend the brackets quite a lot to get them flush.)

After this, get out of the car, screw the 2 small 3x5 inch supporting pieces onto the larger piece of MDF. Make sure you know where these need to be positioned. These are the pieces that are supposed to rest on the hooks for the rear seats so you want to make sure they are in the right place before screwing them down using the brackets. When you've ensured they are properly placed on the larger board, you may use the brackets and screws to put it together. For each of these small pieces I used 2 brackets and 4 screws. (Picture 13)

Finally, put the top board on. (Try not to be to forceful, if you tear these screws from the MDF during install the whole board may be ruined. I suggest lifting up the trunk carpet to make it easier to install the large top piece of MDF. Line up the 2 supports on the underside of the board with the hooks, and set it down on top of the 3 front pieces. (at this point the front pieces may not be flush or straight with the top board, you can pull them out some, this will cause the bracket to bend giving you a better angle. When everything looks good, take your 4 long wood screws and screw them through the top of the MDF into the front pieces. I used 1 long wood screw on each of the end pieces to secure them to the top piece of MDF. Then I used 2 Long wood screws on both ends of the long 4x33 middle piece, securing that to the top piece of MDF. After everything was complete I used a black sharpy to color in the screw heads so they were not noticeable. If for any reason you need to remove the top MDF Board in the future (changing rear speakers, wiring a sound system, fuel pump) all you need to do is unscrew those 4 top screws and the whole thing should lift out.

And VOILA!

That completes the tutorial, if anyone needs clarification I will edit or request an edit to change anything.

I have put a 50 pound side table on top of it, driven for 3 hours and NO WORRIES! On top of that and the clean look there is even less road noise than when the rear seats were in. Definitely a worthy modification to perform, but please note I am not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your vehicle!

Picture 14 is the final result I posted on my social media page. Thank you for reading this tutorial and happy modding!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
Sorry, we're really late reviewing submissions.

Overall looks good.

A couple suggestions.......

Can you number the pictures, either on the picture or top/bottom in the text area to make it easier to follow.

Do you have approximate dimensions for the 2 front lower pieces?
I will assume they are the same size, just mirrored when covered?

Double check the whole thing, then, when done, PM me so I can move it into interior.

Review this....https://www.newtiburon.com/forums/diy-submission/221700-must-read-submitting-diy.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! I cant believe I never saw this. I will try to fix the pictures but am not really sure how to number them. As for the two unmeasured pieces, I did not measure them because they are different sizes. The middle support board wasnt put directly in the middle so I ended up making them different sizes. So whoever follows this DIY would need to make sure that board is directly in the middle so they can have two equal pieces. I was going to fast and did not ensure that piece was centered and just did it by eye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts