1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You will need:

Philips screw driver
10mm socket and rachet
large set of sockets (removing steering wheel)
3 screws
Torex heads (think thats how its spelt)

Ok, as promised the DIY Dash removal.

First off, lets get rid of anything that could be in your way. Remove the Stereo HU and all those fun parts (open the ash tray and Pull) dis connect everything and get it out of your way, i have not taken pics of this as it is very easy.

Unscrew your deck, unclip and remove. and remove. Push all the wires for this area back and out of the way. At this point i recomend disconecting you r as tray light and cig lighter as well, although not nessisary.

Lets also remove the center console (the console between the seats) again very simple. remove you shifter knob, the boot will fall down and that is a good thing. Using a screw driver pop the base plate off. now you will see 2 screws that need to be removed.

remove these two screws. i would recommend sorting your screws as you remove them as there will be alot of them.

now, if you look at the base of the center console there are 2 screws on each side (one just infront of the sliding bars and one just below the center console box, remove these.

Now if you look at where the ebay rests when released you will see a rectangular plate, pop this out and pop the little metal suport out, pull your ebrake all the way back and remove the center console. sorry i don't have picks for this but its really quite easy.

3 more things to remove and you can start on the dash. notw for the glove box, there are 6 screws and a light.

1) Glove box - 6 screws located here

3 on the bottom

once opened, 3 on the top

2) gauge cluster - pull the hood off, un-screw the 4 scres on the side and unclip from behind.

3) Steering wheel - heres the fun one. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! using the torex screw heads there are 2 bolts holding the steering wheel air bag in place loosen these and pull gently, you will notice 2 wires coming from the center, the left most one (black) is your horn, disconect. now gently pry between the second clip and the airbag modual (this is alittle tricky and feel free to PM me with ANY questions, better safe then sorry) once this is off remove the air back, remove the center bolt (i used a steering wheel puller) but a rachet should work.
with this off you can remove the steering wheel. Under the steering collumb casing there are 3 screws remove these and the top and bottome casing can be removed. Disconnect the wiper swith and the head light switch. (harness can be pulled off from the bottom of the switch, there are 2 screws on each of these and they can be removed.

OK , thats all done, get a drink or 6 (makes it more fun) now we get to the "hard" part.

Get you 10 mm socket and rachet, starting on the driver side.
remove these 2

now there is one behind where the cluster was
remove this as

remove the caseing with the fuse box cover, this is two screws and then just pull, i left mine attached by my feer ( later realized how mush of a pain in the *** this became)

there are two more screws on the driverside that are now exposed.
Here

and Here

7 more to go.

now lets sit in the passenger seat. remove these two bolts

and

these are located behind where the glove box was.

looking up here

you will see your passenger side air bad help on to the car by 2 bolts, you guessed it, unscrew them!

ok, two more to go

Take these off and thats it. now comes the pulling, and pulling and pulling, you will need two people for this.

Take your time as you start to remove the dash there is a sensor that needs to be unpluged on the top passenger side and the dimmer switch needs to be disconected as well.

I sudjest the owner of the car takes the driver side as it is the most tricky. sarting on the passenger side give a pull and you should hear a snap sound, that is because the das is still help on by 3 clips along the glass. THERE IS NO WAY TO UNDO THESE THAT I COULD FIND. you have to pull and pull till its loose, then remove. When you have it out you can replace the clips with new screws

Hope this is helpfull and if there is any clarity need pm me and i will adjust this DIY. Thanks all.

Here is what you are left with

then after back together

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: The complete dash removal

sorry i didn't get more of the steering wheel removal, but i took these putting it back together and the wheel only went on yesterday.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts

Moving to the DIY section.

Great info!

·
Pete: The Man
4,366 Posts

Awww...you beat me to it Gamz...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: DIY: Complete Dash Removal

im having troubles getting the "hood" overtop the cluster off...any suggestions? Ive removed the two screws up top so is there a certain way it should be pulled off?

·
Registered
226 Posts

where the clear piece meets the hood there is little room to get your fingers in. Just put your fingers in that gap with your thumbs on top of the hood and pull. Don't be scared, it doesnt take too much pressure. The top clips will release and then the bottoms are self explanitory. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

it might actually be easier to grab the bottom but either way just give it hell and youll hear the **** behind it cracking but dont worry bout that after like 4 or 5 times you wont even hear that anymore

honestly though if you are having trouble getting that off i wouldnt even try the entire dash LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts

I bought my 2007 Tiburon smashed up and now I want to change the dash. Does anyone have any ideas whether a dash from the 2004 Tiburon will fit? Unfortunately my Hyundai Dealers
here in Winnipeg don't know anything and I don't wanna guess and end up having it not fit. If anyone could find out that would be awesome!

·
Registered
192 Posts

I'm not clearly sure if every lil detail is the same but for the most part everything is and will fit wit no prob.

·
Registered
4 Posts

i just wanna know how did u paint the vents and glove box like that can u send me a diy for the vents,glovebox plez????????

·
Banned
11 Posts

i just wanna know how did u paint the vents and glove box like that can u send me a diy for the vents,glovebox plez????????
to remove the vent you will need to completely remove the dash. they have scree holding them from the inside, good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is going to help a lot! Question is; how long will this normally take? (I'm working 6 days a week and only have a couple times a year when I get two days off in a single week back to back)

·
Registered
44 Posts
after a couple of months of looking for a decent dash i was able to find one i was wondering is there any other advice and or issues u had by any chance just wanna make sure there are no other things also how long did this took you because i only have two full days LMK thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
counting the beer breaks i took it took cause it was 90 degrees outside when i did this it took me about 4 - 5 hours but if u have someone to help u out ill say in 2 hours ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts