Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a nutshell i'm thinking of buying a used hyundai tib with 2.0l 4 cylinder engine as a daily driver. It has 260K km on it and according to the owner it's been kept in a really nice shape and all. Any things I should look out for when buying and having this a daily driver? Any beginner/intermediate mods? Anything is helpful, thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you’re looking for something to mod. Buy something else. If you just want a daily driver, just keep up with maintenance and you should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you’re looking for something to mod. Buy something else. If you just want a daily driver, just keep up with maintenance and you should be fine.
Im not lookin for heavy mods, since its my daily driver and im a student. I just want to slowly get into the car mod hobby and have a little fun.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It’s not a hobby with the tib, the aftermarket is dead. You might be able to find an intake and cheap eBay exhaust but if you want anything other than that, you’re going to have a hard time. Parts are getting harder and harder to find. If you want to be able to learn and get into the hobby by just buying a part and installing it, honestly pick a different car. If you get the tib, you’ll spend all of your time looking for parts and hoping something comes up used here, or somewhere else. And browsing forums, and Facebook, and other sites for months hoping to find the part that you want, isn’t how you learn and get into the hobby. You need to get out there and mod, not just stare at a computer hoping that you can get out there and mod one day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There are a few satisfying little mods to be fair. If it's a manual the slave cylinder valve removal, stiffer/poly filled motor mounts, and a short throw shifter make a world of difference, or at least it does for the v6. Plus, for cars of this age maintenance can feel just as satisfying as mods. My kyb struts made a world of difference compared to the fifteen year old stock struts.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're looking to make a beastly muscle car, not the car for you. If you're looking for a fairly reliable car where a few hours of work every once in a while will feel rewarding, go for it! The parts that exist are cheap, and to be honest I don't think a heavily moddable platform is that important if you've never worked on a car before. Buy a cheap little tibby, get some practice on basic maintenance and simple I/H/E type mods, and if you enjoy it worry about finding a good project car down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a few satisfying little mods to be fair. If it's a manual the slave cylinder valve removal, stiffer/poly filled motor mounts, and a short throw shifter make a world of difference, or at least it does for the v6. Plus, for cars of this age maintenance can feel just as satisfying as mods. My kyb struts made a world of difference compared to the fifteen year old stock struts.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're looking to make a beastly muscle car, not the car for you. If you're looking for a fairly reliable car where a few hours of work every once in a while will feel rewarding, go for it! The parts that exist are cheap, and to be honest I don't think a heavily moddable platform is that important if you've never worked on a car before. Buy a cheap little tibby, get some practice on basic maintenance and simple I/H/E type mods, and if you enjoy it worry about finding a good project car down the road.
This is exactly what i was trying to mean.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
check around the wheel well arches for rust/ debris build up. check the front fenders jus before the door/ after the wheel, and the rear lower portion of the rear bumpers. water likes to build up in those areas because of the sun roof drainage. if the car does not have a sun roof, you should be ok. Check bootom of the doors, and around the side skirts for rust areas. The wheel well areas are some of the worst. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts