Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a coolant leak coming from this what seems to be coolant line but i cannot seem to find it on any of the diagrams. Any ideas? You can see the the thats torn at an angle.
Automotive lighting Trunk Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
The backlighting makes it hard to see.
Radiator return line (about 2 1/4" OD)
Interior heater core (about 1" OD)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The backlighting makes it hard to see.
Radiator return line (about 2 1/4" OD)
Interior heater core (about 1" OD)
I'm running it to a mechanic in the morning and will try to get a better picture of it. Are both of those easy repairs? I prefer to do my own work but if it's too annoying I'll just have a shop do it.

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Either should be easy. Get the hose, extra clamps and have some coolant nearby.
Do with the engine "cold".

You could also follow the hose to where it goes.

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
BTW, either hose will lose coolant fast enough, I would NOT drive it other than a better parking/work space in your driveway.

·
Registered
2003 Tiburon 2.0L 5-Speed
40 Posts
That's the drain tube for your evaporator core. It's supposed the be angle cut like that and should drip clean water(condensation from air) when your A/C is running.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's leaking coolant somehow and I'm not sure why.
If you're sure it's coolant my guess would be the heater core. It's in the same area as the evap core and coolant could conceivably find it's way into the drain tube. You could bypass the heater core temporarily with some hose barbs and tubing, and if the leak stops you know it's the heater core.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're sure it's coolant my guess would be the heater core. It's in the same area as the evap core and coolant could conceivably find it's way into the drain tube. You could bypass the heater core temporarily with some hose barbs and tubing, and if the leak stops you know it's the heater core.
When I was researching the heater core it says it would possibly leak onto the passenger floorboard and there's no smell, wetness, or anything on the floor board. I'll research that bypass and give that a shot to see what happens. Would I notice any sort of dripping from the car of that's the leak?

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I was researching the heater core it says it would possibly leak onto the passenger floorboard and there's no smell, wetness, or anything on the floor board. I'll research that bypass and give that a shot to see what happens. Would I notice any sort of dripping from the car of that's the leak?
I'm honestly not sure, I've never been that far into the dash to see where a leak like that would go. It's pretty tightly packed in there so I imagine it could go into several different areas depending on exactly where the leak is and what is below it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I refilled the reservoir again and this time had the AC off ran the car about 10 minutes and nothing came from the evap hose. So it's either 1 the leak is somewhere else or 2 it's evaporating due to over 100° F weather. Guess im going digging. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
Agreed, that's the AC condensate drain (good picture BTW).
It should NOT drip green, but will drip with AC or defrost on.

Passengers side coolant leak could be interior heater core or waterpump which is between engine and right front wheel.

When engine is cold, check radiator level, top off if needed, then check and top off the overflow tank.

·
Administrator
9,166 Posts
There is a weep hole just behing the A/C condenser that coolant will leak from when the seal on the water pump fails. It is not easy to see unless you know what you are looking for.
The waterpump is just above the crank pulley, if the internal seal is bad, yes, it will come out the weep hole but drip out the timing belt cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a coolant leak coming from this what seems to be coolant line but i cannot seem to find it on any of the diagrams. Any ideas? You can see the the thats torn at an angle. View attachment 138345
The waterpump is just above the crank pulley, if the internal seal is bad, yes, it will come out the weep hole but drip out the timing belt cover.
I never saw a leak anywhere but the weep hole. Originally thought it was coming from the head gasket just above the A/C unit but was able to isolate it by using a coolant dye and a black light...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts