Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,
Ive had my Tib since just after it came out. I have the standard 05 4 Cyl Manual. 1 Owner being myself. Granted she needs some love.. paint etc and other small things, but its just not in the budget.

Recently ive started to have cooling issues. Oddly this happened about a week after inspection and the place topped off my coolant levels. I have read through the other topics and found things that I used for troubleshooting, but didnt quite find what I needed.

When my car comes to temp, it remains at temp.. no leaking, no issues other than my previously fixed AC blows warm and my heat blows outside temps. When I rev to 2k RPM and 3k RPM temp rises and comes back down to about 240 F, which has been normal for her for the past decade. 4 years ago I replaced the temp sensor (the one on the engine next to the upper radiator hose) as it went and caused as I saw mentioned before a crack in the upper casing of my radiator which I replaced.

This all started a few days ago I was driving and the temp just jumped from just before the half way mark to capped, I pulled over to idle and it dropped down.. Drove again, heated back up and stopped, dropped to normal again. Made it home and I had coolant spraying from somewhere.. it was 1 am, I couldnt find the leak at the time.

I ran some tests the next day and got an error on my ODB reader P0117 (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Circuit Low) and left it at that. I went back out today, and it no longer gave me that error, but the same problems were occuring. My radiator is topped off after the spray issue and my reservoir is just over full. (I think the sensor is the same one I replaced 4 years ago just needing to be replaced.) But I did find a drip leak when the engine temp hit 260 F (and when my AC was on.. part of the testing and process of elimination) It looks like it was a little short hose that goes from engine to just under the the heat shield on the front of the engine.. (I couldnt find a schematic for the name of it) But it was dripping out from it looks to be from there. If anyone has any other ideas, Id rather try to fix this myself due to being broke as a joke, but if I need to take it to a mechanic, I do at least have one I mostly trust.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey so overheating can happen in a few ways...

First thing I’d check is your thermostat, if it’s sticking or have a seal broke on it causing it to cool expensively or not cool enough, I’d recommend taking that out and testing it... to do so remove the thermostat, give it a quick look at make sure it looks good and isn’t stuck open from a broken seal... then put it in hot water and bring it to a boil, it should open when the water gets to near a boil... it it opens run it under cold water and It should close very quickly...

Second thing is you may have a air lock... honestly this is what it sounds like to me. To flush any air from your system, again make sure your car is cold, open the radiator cap and fill it to the top, then with the cap still open start your car... the temp should start rising, give it a rev to about 3000 rpm every 45 seconds or so, once it is fully warmed up rev it a few more times and see if the coolant level drops... also turn your heater on full blast and top up your coolant if it drops even a little.

if these two things don’t help I honestly don’t know what else it could be, there’s just those two things to look for, only other things that could happen would be ALOT of dirt or buildup in your cooling system or a bad water pump... but abad water pump WILL almost always leak... I hope this helps, please let me know if any of these things work

1 - 2 of 2 Posts