Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so yesterday after my class i got back to my car and immediately noticed what i thought was a scratch but upon further inspection it turned out to be a crack. its only about a foot long and its not deep but its still their. My parents told me to take it to the dealer and get it fixed, would that be under warantee. i dont know if someone hit me cuz theirs no other damage. the weather has been really cold around here so is it possible that that could have caused this. I just want some input on wut i should do. thanx.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
No way they will cover it.

That's what insurance is for. Your warranty covers defects of the car... not other people who don't know how to drive, park, or pull out of an adjacent parking space.

And it's not really cold here. Our temps are just starting to come back to Normal... we're just used to a ridiculously mild winter so far. So no way they are going to buy the cold causing the crack story. It's not what you want to hear, but likely how things will work out for ya. Good luck though!

· Registered
1,900 Posts
You pay insurance premiums. In return, the insurance company covers the expenses if damage is incurred to your vehicle. Of course, the more claims you make, the higher your premiums will be... because insurance companies aren't exactly in the business of giving away free money. When you establish yourself as more of a liability that constantly requires their money to fix your car, they compensate by making you pay more to keep your insurance... helping offset the costs put into your repairs.

If you pay $2,000/year in insurance premiums, then you go 10 years w/o an accident, claim, whatever... they've collected $20,000 of your money and didn't have to shell out anything to you. They LIKE you... and reward you w/lower and lower premiums (1st year $2000 - no accidents, now 2nd year only $1500 - no accidents, so 3rd year only $1400, etc.)

But if you pay $2,000/year for the 1st year, but get in an accident that cost $4,000 to repair, now they are down $2,000 (minus your deductible - which is an amount you pay out of pocket on a claim before the insurance company picks up the rest of the bill). So they raise your premium to compensate. You need the insurance still though cause, heaven forbid, you total your $20,000 car the next year... now you'd have to shell out $20,000 instead of only the deductible (usually $500-$1000) and having insurance pay the other $19,000.

So if the damage is relatively cheap, it's pointless to put in a claim w/insurance because you'll end up paying out of pocket anyway (in the form of the deductible) and probably pay most of the bill yourself. You have to find out the price of a new bumper and paint job. If it's more than say $1500 worth of work... then you might consider making a claim to insurance. Otherwise... better get back to flippin burgers (j/k). Or in your case, it sounds like your parents pay your insurance, so you have zero risk of losing money.

· Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya my parents take care of the insurance which is cool, i offered to pay it but they told me to focus on college. ill talk to them and see how much it will cost. the crack really isnt that bad i mean id rather it not be their but theirs nuthin i could do i just hate the fact that some1 possibly hit me and didnt care.

· Registered
1,770 Posts
estimate for cracked bumper + 1 broken foglight repair was about $840.... so take off about 200... yep they want like 150 for the foglight and extra for something related, and you've got about a $640 crack... that is front bumper cover replacement and paint to match etc... sucks doesn't it!

· Registered
446 Posts
If it's a crack that does not appear to have been caused by an accident, you definitely should be able to get it replaced under warranty. Especially if it was a weather-related crack. Bumper to bumper warranty is 60k miles I do believe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.