Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to niteshade my headlights today to match my tails. I taped off the corners, so that I could put 2 coats on them and then one on the entire thing, so that the corners would have 3 total. Well when I sprayed the Niteshade on, and let it dry, it cracked, and now it looks like ****. Seriously... it looks terrible. I'll post a picture if necessary. Any ideas on what caused this? Or better yet, a solution?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
When you say that you sprayed the whole thing, do you mean that you painted the "squishy" strip at the top too? Where did the cracking occur?

·
I
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cracking occurred on the actual headlight. Here's a picture.

And I didn't spray any squishy stuff. xD

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
It looks as if the area wasn't roughed up before painting, thus not allowing the nite shade to properly adhere to the lens.

BTW I'm not saying that in a negative way.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
my 03s did that umm clean them off then get like 2000 git and hit them real quick it will work alot better

also whos foot is that lol

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Good luck removing this sh!t!!!!! I did this i had to scrub with brillo for hours until it finally came off, not easy. I will NEVER nightshade headlights again!!!

·
Dave: NT Admin
2,768 Posts
There is a clearcoat of some sort on the headlights that is probably preventing it from making good adhesion. I believe FFF (who is a professional at this stuff) had similar issues and had to do a bit of sanding to get everything to adhere. So basically it isn't the exact same process as the tails.

·
Read Only
984 Posts
if its the VHT stuff, my brother did it on his tail lights, and when he got pulled over and had to take it off, he just used that goof off stuff, and within seconds he got it cleaned off...

·
I
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good Off? lolol

And that was a friend of mine that was helping me that took the picture. I seriously sanded those damn things for an hour before I put the NiteShade on. I'll look into the "Good Off" and remove it, then I'll start all over. I used 250 grit first, then 3M 2000 grit. I hear that Goo Gone also gets this stuff off pretty easily. As far as illegal goes, I'm not worried about it.

·
Read Only
984 Posts
nooo...goof off...you know...the stuff that smells really strong and has a red cap, and is in a yellow can thing...i think its called goof off

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ive been considering doing this until I get my F/L's. I really don't want them very dark though just a slight tint. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I suggest after you sand your headlights down you go to Advanced Auto Parts and pick up a headlight lens restorer kit to put them back the way they were.. don't nightshade it again.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
U sprayed to heavy a coat on the first coat.. with this stuff u literally need to make super quick light passes for the first few
He is correct. I used about a good 10-12 coats on my tail lights. I'd use about 5 or 6 "light coats" first. It doesn't matter how many coats you put on it if you do them right you won't have issues with the light shining through them. Remember to always wet sand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts