Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if anyone has seen the Powdercoating gun sears is selling but its only $150. and doesnt require an air supply.

since my engine is all apart i wanted to powdercaot as much as possible and didnt want to take a bunch of dumb stuff to a powdercoater and have them powdercoat everything and hten later on i decide i wanted this this color or doesnt look right or what ever so i got this gun and figured i would powdercoat peice by peice as i put it back together and be able to tell what colors would look better or what not. its a good thing to because i was goin to be doin most of the stuff in red and black but since my car is silver i changed my mind and am now doing most in super mirror black and silver vein (black with silver all threw it). with an occasional red candy here and there. or blue candy not sure yet. but anywho for 150 bux and 1lb of color from columbiacoatings.com for 12 bux wich by the way had it shipped here with in 3 days i must say it does the job rather well. i mean for smooth colors like the mirror black i wasnt able to get them to lay completely smooth, there is some orange peel but if ur into the textured colors like wrinkles or viens it does a great job! here is a pic of my manifolds in super mirror black, they dont look anything like they do in the pic to much glear or somthin

notice i shaved off those 2 little ears sticking out for the engine cover to bolt to, no one will probly ever notice there gone but they would def notice them there with nothing being bolted to them!

my injectors are black so they should go good with the mani but unsure on how im goin to do the fuel rails, those might have to get polished to go with the polished vortech and piping

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
thats pretty sweet dude , expect my engine parts to be coming in the mail next week :)
this is a service free for all forum members right ?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Is it easier than painting ? or on the same skill level ?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
definately easier, the powder is pos charged and the piece is grounded and it just goes to the peice i dont even know if it will run, ill post up a pic of my lower mani with the fuel rails on. hte fuel rails i did in a sivler vein with a red candy over top, looks really trick

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
if you baked them in the same oven that you cook your everyday food with, that oven is now no longer safe for regular food..you know that right? thats why i never bought this, because the fumes will contaminate the oven

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya but u can pick up a used oven cheap, i got an oven for free and put it in my garage to do this.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
so it didn't go on smooth?

does anyone here know how a shop does it?
is there a difference in quality?
theres alot of prep work involved to getting it to go on smooth. im not sure about powdercoating which is probably prepped the exact same way but for regular automotive paint (or spray paint)

1. sanding
2. more sanding
3. 3 or 4 thick coat of fill-in primer with enough time to cure
4. finer sanding
5. tape off and paint

p.s. i'm making it sound alot easier than it really is.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no all i did was sand blast it hit it with a lil grinding wheel with say 36 grit if i needed to grind, like on the intake mani i grinded what i could just to smooth it up a tad. and put a coat on and bake for about 10 min then pull out and put a real heavy coat on and stick it back in the oven, only hting needed for prep work is degreesing it, sand blasting, pre heat (burns off whatever) and run a tac rag over it to get any lil dirt off, i made the mistake of wiping with some prep sol(cleaner) on a paper towl and it left lint behind and hwen i powdered it i could tell but i just put a few more coats on, this stuff is very forgiving, my engine is almost complete i think i have a post in member profile with the valve covers and intake mani on, ill update it tonight with a pic of the engine in the car.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
If you are going to powdercoat, I would HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest a sandblaster. Sanding just doesnt get it as good, and you need to get all the little crevaces. I know my **** when it comes to powder coating, I worked at one of the biggest powder coating manufacturers for a year.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i wouldnt mind using a sandblaster if the process wasnt so messy. ill try 36-80 grit paper and a sanding stone for my valve covers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts