Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 GT and I drove to work the other day and everything was fine. No noises no starting issues was completely normal. Get out of work about 6 hours later and Tib won’t start. It just keeps cranking.

So I had another Crankshaft sensor and thought it could be that and since I have one I will try it. Got it in this morning, crossed my fingers and same thing.

I don’t hear the fuel pump priming so should I go there next? Could it be spark plugs? Battery seems fine but I could get that tested but it’s only two years old. I just need some guidance on what my next step should be without just throwing money at it. I’m at a loss and frustrated. I do not wanna go to a garage at all.

I’m not looking to dump a bunch of money into this car. I am honestly trying to get it back to running to sell it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Re: Cranking but won’t start

How long (time and miles) since last plug change?

Did you recently get gas?

Any recent work?

Do you have a DVM or test light? If so, check every fuse......looking does NOT count in all cases. I have been brought "dead cars" where it was stated fuses were good. Found a bad fuse, replace, done deal.....
Fuses are good or bad, not an intermittent.

Recent gas (last maybe 50 miles) could be bad/watered gas.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: Cranking but won’t start

I don’t hear the fuel pump priming so should I go there next?
Try spraying some starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it starts.
Check fuel pump relay. Swap out with similar known good relay.
Check for power at fuel pump assembly. there should be 12v at the power wire with key on engine ON position.
Could be a failed fuel pump. (most likely)

So I had another Crankshaft sensor and thought it could be that and since I have one I will try it.
If CKP sensor failed, you wouldn't get any spark so check for sparks if you suspect it failed. Also, any aftermarket sensor wouldn't work.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Cpk sensor failure should throw a code after a few seconds of cranking with no signal. (I don't remember exactly how many but something like 5 seconds)
It is one of the few sensors that will quickly set a check engine light.
Fuel pump is under the back seat, very easy to get to the connector to check for voltage, there are two black plastic tabs under the back seat, push them in while pulling the seat up. When you turn the key to ON, you should see 12v for about 2 seconds without cranking. If no voltage, check fuse and relay

·
Registered
2 Posts
my friend had this exact same problem took us a week to figure the damn thing out,we did exactly as you tried the crank sensor first,same symptoms,he left it overnight at his house and in the morning no start,the whole week all we ever got out of it was a hiccup.changed the spark plugs started right up and had no problems until it did it again like 6 months later

·
Registered
4 Posts
possibly the starter engaging and not kicking out the gear to turn over the engine or is the engine turning over ?
check fuel pressure and spark also a possibility is the ignition switch not making all the contacts it needs to start but still giving power to the starter relay the switch is about 30 on amazon and it held in with one philips screw and a single connector i just replaced mine including battery starter and the fuel pump and the clutch safety switch however if the clutch saftey switch was bad engine would not crank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts