Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home the other day and listening to the squeaks in my lowered suspension. anyway..... i was thinking about, if your gonna lower your car could you just modify the strutts thmselves to lower the car, instead of buying new springs. See, this is what i was thinking.......could you just take out your strutt and cut the mounting brackets off and just weld them an inch or 2 up from their stock location. now i know it sounds iffy but i think it could work......in theory if you did this it would save alot of your suspension parts from unneccisary wear and tear. because your struts would not be unnessisarily compressed and everything else would be just about in place...... i dont know... maybe im crazy.... tell me what yall think.... -chase
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Well boss, I’m pretty far from being a suspension expert, but my take on it is that cutting and shortening your struts wouldn’t affect ride height in any noticeable way, but it would seriously mess up your camber angle. I think that what you’re thinking of cutting is the shock absorber, which would indeed reduce ride height. However, I would think that this would be a very bad idea. If you cut the head, you seriously impact travel without actually altering the spring rate. So the car will still try to flex and move like it’s stock, but will keep bottoming out it’s suspension. Cutting the barrel would cause the damn thing to depressurize, and getting it resealed and properly pressurized would be well beyond the means of most casual folks. I think that the traditional poor-mans way of altering ride height on the cheap is cutting the springs for a reason, not that I particularly think that that’s a great idea either.

But hey, maybe I’m just misunderstanding how things work down there. I’m sure someone who knows better will come along and set things straight shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no no no.... im not talking about cutting anything, "Boss".... im talkting about moving the brackets up on the strutt set up..... just the brackets to where the whole set up is moved down, so thus the car is lowerd. ill post a pic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is what im talking about
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
I understand what you are getting at. By moving them up you will still be reducing your suspension travel and have the stock shocks more likely to bottom out. The best best would be to move the mounting points at the bottom where the strut connects to the control arm. This would keep the stock suspension movement, but let you drop it a bit.

Unfortunately this is VERY risky. You would be talking about cutting grinding on a pressurized shock, and then would have to weld the mounts back on (again, or a pressurized shock). I doubt you will find many places to do that, and even if you do it yourself, you still deserve a Darwin Award.

If suspension travel is your end goal, your best bet would be to send out a set of shocks to be shortened and revalved. If noise is your problem, then I don't know what to tell you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
Seeing the picture, I am talking about the same thing as you. Most coilovers have an adjustable lower mount that you can change the ride height with, without changing the amount of suspension travel. Good luck on finding someone to cut/weld on the stock shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brosky..... im not gonna do it....i was just wondering if it was possible ( in theory)...... i stil dont get why your suspension travel would be lowered.... wouldn't you be sitting the same way just lower.....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
just thinik about it this way:
your stock suspension travels a certain distance determined by spring rate and how stiff the shocks are, so if you shorten the distance between the wheel and the wheel well (body) while keeping the stock suspension TRAVEL, then the wheel will hit the body when you go over a big bump or something since it will still travel as much as stock but won't have the same amount of room/space to move in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
cchilders13 said:
brosky..... im not gonna do it....i was just wondering if it was possible ( in theory)...... i stil dont get why your suspension travel would be lowered.... wouldn't you be sitting the same way just lower.....?
Yes you would. I was talking that if you cut the lower spring perch (the cup the spring sits in) and moved it up you would effectively be lowering the car, but still losing suspension travel.

And if you weren't going to do it, why did you even ask the question. Thats like me asking if it's possible to go to vegas and have an orgy with 15 hookers who hang out by Circus Circus and not get an STD. I'm not gonna do it, but I am just wondering if in theory it's possible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
mcdwf398 said:
jebus patrick....you have such a way with words.....that **** is ****in funny
Besides, everyone knows no matter how cautious you are, any hooker you pick up down by Circus Circus in Vegas will definitely give you an STD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dude your an *** hole. what the hell is wrong with wondering..... it's just an idea.... yea, your right i wuold do it...yea... im gonna take out my tein springs and try something new, something based on a idea..... yea, great idea...... you are an idiot. why the hell are there ao many arrogant pricks on this website.... people just cant share ideas without being belittled......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
cchilders13 said:
dude your an *** hole. what the hell is wrong with wondering..... it's just an idea.... yea, your right i wuold do it...yea... im gonna take out my tein springs and try something new, something based on a idea..... yea, great idea...... you are an idiot. why the hell are there ao many arrogant pricks on this website.... people just cant share ideas without being belittled......
brosky....I am not an a-hole at all. I'm just saying, why post up something that your not even going to try. I guess now you stopped other people from cutting and welding on a pressurized object.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no you are
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
I know you are but what am I... WTF? act like grown men.

It was an Idea, good one aswell if it was functional afterwords but I don't think it will be unless you come up with some other mods to the suspension...

again, good idea... just not likely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Interesting idea, in theory it would work, but there's another issue aside from not beaing able to weld on a strut/shock (which is a huge no-no).

In doing what you're describing, you are placing the bottom of your strut closer to ground. It has no where to go below it! Directly below the strut is your axle (more accurately, your outer CV joint). There's not much clearance there as it is, and your suspension needs that clearance to handle odd suspension angles.

So it wouldn't work mechanically from this standpoint as well, not to mention just not being able to weld charged struts and throwing off alignment in a serious way.

Interesting idea, nonetheless.

-BRR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BestRedRide said:
Interesting idea, in theory it would work, but there's another issue aside from not beaing able to weld on a strut/shock (which is a huge no-no).

In doing what you're describing, you are placing the bottom of your strut closer to ground. It has no where to go below it! Directly below the strut is your axle (more accurately, your outer CV joint). There's not much clearance there as it is, and your suspension needs that clearance to handle odd suspension angles.

So it wouldn't work mechanically from this standpoint as well, not to mention just not being able to weld charged struts and throwing off alignment in a serious way.

Interesting idea, nonetheless.

-BRR

THANK YOU for a non- condescending response..... as simple answer..... see people can get along.....
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top