Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had hids on the car for at least 13 years. Recently my driver side stopped working. So this is where it gets confusing. To test if it was the bulb or ballast I removed both headlight assemblies and swapped to the opposite side. Now the driver side(passenger headlight assembly) worked and the passenger side (driver headlight assembly) didn’t. So this confirmed to me that it was the bulb and not the ballast. Today I put a new bulb in the driver side. Now unless I’m blind when I turned everything on the driver side now worked but the passenger side didn’t. Now it gets weird. A few hours go by and I went back out and was going to check connections. I turned on my lights and now the passenger side works and the driver side doesn’t. I pulled both assemblies out and swapped bulbs from side to side. I plugged just the driver side back in and tested it and it worked. I plugged the passenger side back in and now the passenger side works and the driver side doesn’t. Even though 5 minutes earlier it did when just the driver side was plugged in. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Imo swap to LEDs I have had so many problems with hids + that hole in the back of your caps for the wires will fog up ur lights early. Once I went LED never had problems

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imo swap to LEDs I have had so many problems with hids + that hole in the back of your caps for the wires will fog up ur lights early. Once I went LED never had problems
Lucking no issues with fogging over 13 years. I thought leds were nowhere close to as bright as hids. Has the technology changed?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ive seen that happen on new intallations sometimes, generally from a weak battery. Usually I find the problem goes away while the vehicle is running for a few minutes.

9 times out of 10 its usually a voltage supply issue. You could possible try one of the relay kits for direct power.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive seen that happen on new intallations sometimes, generally from a weak battery. Usually I find the problem goes away while the vehicle is running for a few minutes.

9 times out of 10 its usually a voltage supply issue. You could possible try one of the relay kits for direct power.
Ya battery is only a year old. I’ve confirmed that both light bulbs work but now I can’t get the driver side headlamp to work. High beam lights so I’m assuming it’s not the headlamp itself. I ordered a new ballast for the driver side.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible for the headlamp assembly to go bad? I just took the driver side and flipped it upside down so I can plug into the passenger side and all lights work except the low beam.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have confirmed that the low beam portion of the driver side headlight is the problem. I don’t really want to buy new ones does anyone know anything about repair?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m a little inexperienced when it comes to electrical stuff. How would I go about testing things to get a 100% confirmation that it is the headlamp assembly itself? Would I use a multimeter?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I keep going back and re-reading your original post. Basically you are saying that independently, your lights work, but when you plug both in at the same time, one stops working. Am I understanding this correctly?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I keep going back and re-reading your original post. Basically you are saying that independently, your lights work, but when you plug both in at the same time, one stops working. Am I understanding this correctly?
Lol basically the short version is it appears to be my actual headlamp has an issue. I have confirmed by plugging my passenger assembly in and it works so I know it is not the ballast. I plugged my low beam hid on the driver side into the passenger headlamp and that works as well. So it appears to be the actual driver assembly unless something is loose. I have 2004 with 05 headlights that came prewired from SFR. No issues for 14 years.
Maybe something becomes loose. Check the plug connection.
Everything seems fine on inspection I just don’t know how to test electrical connections to see if it’s getting power or not.
Are you using a relay to power the HIDs or are you running them using the Hyundai harness to the ballast?
No relays. I was going to back in the day and I can’t remember which member confirmed this but he said the 04 wiring will have no problem without a relay. I’ve been running it this way since 2006.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lol basically the short version is it appears to be my actual headlamp has an issue. I have confirmed by plugging my passenger assembly in and it works so I know it is not the ballast. I plugged my low beam hid on the driver side into the passenger headlamp and that works as well. So it appears to be the actual driver assembly unless something is loose. I have 2004 with 05 headlights that came prewired from SFR. No issues for 14 years.
The headlamp assembly is nothing more than a housing. Its like getting into an argument with your wife, and blaming the house. So you and your wife move to a new house only to find out your wife still drives you up the wall.

In other words, you should be able to completely remove your headlight assemblies, put them in the trunk, leave your hid bulbs plugged into the harness, and they should still work when you turn your headlights on.

So lets start over from the beginning. Follow these instructions exactly. Make sure you start with the car running, fog light switch off, and lights manually controlled in the OFF position. Turn head lights back to OFF position in between each test.

Disconnect the driver side hid bulb from ballast. Turn headlights to ON position. Does the passenger side work?
-If NO, Repeat test by unplugging main harness from driver side ballast.

Try the same thing in reverse with the passenger side disconnected, and the driver side reconnected. Turn headlights to ON position. Does the driver side work?
-If NO, Repeat test by disconnecting main harness from passenger side ballast.

Reconnect both bulbs/ballasts, Turn headlights to ON position. do both bulbs work?

Swap bulbs from driver to passenger, and vice versa. Turn headlights to ON position. Do both bulbs work?
-If NO, Repeat test by swapping ballasts.

Lets see what these results are, and we'll move on to the next steps.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I’ll try everything again. The reason I’m asking about the headlamp is these are 05 headlights on an 04 and they came prewired by SFR. I’m wondering if one of the connections inside is loose/faulty etc. I’ll give everything a shot tonight.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i am so sorry..... I totally forgot these headlights were set up with a plug and everything was done internally in the housing.

OK, If you do the tests you should still discover the problem. BUT......

You very well may have had something come loose. So, the trigger wires for the HIDs are located right inside the cap. Pull that cap off by rotating it slightly. If you look at it closely it should tell you which direction to rotate to unlock. You should see two blade connectors coming from the HID harness that should connect to the blade connectors that normally go to the standard halogen lights. Make sure those are connected securely with each other. If that doesnt work, proceed with the tests.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Faulcun I have no idea how the rewiring works in this situation. I do see that there is a splice connector inside where the wiring from the high beams is yellow and pink and then the spliced in wiring is black and red. I have verified that it is the wiring in the driver side housing that is causing the problem as both the ballast and low beam bulb on the driver side work.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ok, you are going to have to take some pictures now. I think we've moved past text at this point. Take a picture of inside the low beam area. lets see whats going on there

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, you are going to have to take some pictures now. I think we've moved past text at this point. Take a picture of inside the low beam area. lets see whats going on there
There isn't a whole lot to see but the first two are of the high beam then one of the low beam and one of the splice connector that you can see down inside the low beam side.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts