Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Tiburon SE and since I purchased it the cruise control has not worked. I have checked the brake lights and they aren't LED and the horn still works so i dont believe it's the clock spring. Went to O'Reily's and no one there has heard of this issue. Thank you for all information!

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
The light illuminates on the dashboard and stays on? I would look into whether your cruise control module is still there and that the cruise control cable is attached to the throttle body. There is a separate black box mounted near the passenger strut tower and has a separate throttle cable that attaches to the throttle body. If it's there and attached, it may be malfunctioning.

If the light illuminates only momentarily and turns off, I would check to make sure you have the correct taillight bulbs. Some filament type bulbs may draw too much or too little current that tricks the BCM into thinking you're riding the brakes. Check that the smaller corner tail bulbs are intact as they could cause this issue as well. Otherwise your clutch safety switch may be shorted because the previous owner installed a remote start system. Try starting the car with out pressing on the clutch and If the engine starts, your clutch safety switch is shorted or malfunctioning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The light illuminates on the dashboard and stays on? I would look into whether your cruise control module is still there and that the cruise control cable is attached to the throttle body. There is a separate black box mounted near the passenger strut tower and has a separate throttle cable that attaches to the throttle body. If it's there and attached, it may be malfunctioning.

If the light illuminates only momentarily and turns off, I would check to make sure you have the correct taillight bulbs. Some filament type bulbs may draw too much or too little current that tricks the BCM into thinking you're riding the brakes. Check that the smaller corner tail bulbs are intact as they could cause this issue as well. Otherwise your clutch safety switch may be shorted because the previous owner installed a remote start system. Try starting the car with out pressing on the clutch and If the engine starts, your clutch safety switch is shorted or malfunctioning.
I've never turned it on long term because it doesn't work, so could you specify what you mean by " momentarily". It will stay on for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
There are 2 lights. One that says "cruise" (which means the system is on) and another that says "set" after you set the speed. If the cruise one comes on but not the set one it could be the switch on the steering wheel, the brake switch, brake light problems, clutch switch, or just a general voltage problem.

On my previous Tib (05 SE) I had the same problem intermittently after I installed a cold air intake and HID headlights. I even had the HIDs on a relay and still had issues. Once I put the car back to mostly stock to sell it the problem went away. Never did really figure out what the issue was.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
By momentarily I mean if the cruise control light turns itself off within a second or two. If it stays illuminated for more than a few seconds then it's not an issue of the brake or clutch switch disable trigger. I would look into the cruise module/cable under the hood or the BCM being at fault.

Perhaps the electrical troubleshooting guide will give you some insight on what is involved in the cruise control circuit:

Do you have a check engine light active at the moment? There are a few CELs that may prevent cruise control from functioning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By momentarily I mean if the cruise control light turns itself off within a second or two. If it stays illuminated for more than a few seconds then it's not an issue of the brake or clutch switch disable trigger. I would look into the cruise module/cable under the hood or the BCM being at fault.

Perhaps the electrical troubleshooting guide will give you some insight on what is involved in the cruise control circuit:

Do you have a check engine light active at the moment? There are a few CELs that may prevent cruise control from functioning.
I have after market parts in my car so my dad had the check engine light permanently turned off. Could that cause an issue?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
I have after market parts in my car so my dad had the check engine light permanently turned off. Could that cause an issue?
You don't "turn off" the CEL. Did your father remove the CEL bulb? That is real dumb. There is never a good reason to disable the check engine light. You can work around CELs even with aftermarket parts.

Read the codes with an OBD2 reader and come back with a list of codes. Please provide the actual codes... don't just say "there's an O2 code" because there's a dozen different codes relating to O2 sensors etc etc. I bet at least one is preventing your cruise control from working. Also if you list your aftermarket parts we can provide you with options for fixing the CELs they cause.

Reactions: vrod1123

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't "turn off" the CEL. Did your father remove the CEL bulb? That is real dumb. There is never a good reason to disable the check engine light. You can work around CELs even with aftermarket parts.

Read the codes with an OBD2 reader and come back with a list of codes. Please provide the actual codes... don't just say "there's an O2 code" because there's a dozen different codes relating to O2 sensors etc etc. I bet at least one is preventing your cruise control from working. Also if you list your aftermarket parts we can provide you with options for fixing the CELs they cause.
So I bought my car from a dealer in Lakeland. When my dad and I took it for a test drive the dealer informed us that after market parts were used but never gave us a list of what was done. He said that they could just turn off the check engine light so that it’s permanently off instead of permanently on. The only thing I know is aftermarket is my intake.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
You are probably experiencing a lean condition code due to the aftermarket intake. Very common problem on 05-08 cars. That could definitely keep your cruise control from setting.

The check engine light was likely disabled by pulling a fuse. Replace that fuse and it will come back on. In the meantime you can still read out your diagnostic trouble codes over OBD2. If you list your DTCs and show us a pic of your engine bay we can help you determine what was modified and what you can do to work around it. If you have headers show us a picture of the downstream O2 sensor locations and whether they have an extension/defouler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are probably experiencing a lean condition code due to the aftermarket intake. Very common problem on 05-08 cars. That could definitely keep your cruise control from setting.

The check engine light was likely disabled by pulling a fuse. Replace that fuse and it will come back on. In the meantime you can still read out your diagnostic trouble codes over OBD2. If you list your DTCs and show us a pic of your engine bay we can help you determine what was modified and what you can do to work around it. If you have headers show us a picture of the downstream O2 sensor locations and whether they have an extension/defouler.
Do you happen to know which fuse they would've pulled? I just looked at the diagrams for it and cant find which fuse is for the check engine light.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
Sorry I don't which it is. It's not really important. It's shady as hell that a dealership would disable it though. You can still read your trouble codes without the CEL/DTC indicator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry I don't which it is. It's not really important. It's shady as hell that a dealership would disable it though. You can still read your trouble codes without the CEL/DTC indicator.
Hey guys, since I saw you active, I wanted to ask for help with my cruise, as you can see in my post here, I have same problem but I want to mention, that my car doesnt have a "SET" light, only cruise control with green light, not set for me. Only thing I dont have is break switch, but I tried to simulate it with relays and it shouldnt be the issue. I am so close and yet so far. Need help.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had this with an ‘05 SE I bought. Cruise lights up but would never set.

SE’s are 6 sp manuals. AFAIK they only made SE’s with 6 sp manual trans.

in my case, quite simple to test and fix. On a manual there are TWO momentary contact switches under there. One on the brake pedal that triggers when you press the brake for tail lights, and will disengage cruise as well if pressed.

The second is on the clutch. If you press the clutch, cruise is also disengaged…. Clutch also must be pressed just to start the car. But that only shows the switch is breaking the circuit. Not if it’s completing the circuit when released.

multitester time! Just continuity mode.

visually, both looked fine and a click was heard on each with a pedal press and release. And obvious if it’s the brake, your brake lights wouldn’t light on and off when you press and release the brake.

But! Even though the contact switch clicked and looked fine and clutch play was to spec. Continuity test showed the switch only completed the circuit if I pulled back on the clutch pedal and wiggled it slightly. Old cars, old switches! $8 switch at AutoZone, common part and a stocked item. Identical to the OEM switch as well.

replaced the contact switch on the clutch. Cruise was fully restored and reliable.

My takeaway. If it’s electrical, always test with a meter…. Hearing the “click” was not a valid test and if you assume it’s good from that. Might be hunting that issue forever as you missed the true fault. Hope yours might be as easy as that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts