Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am considering installing a custom exhaust. I want something that sounds great idling, and can hear the downshifts, but not something that's so loud its ridiculous (straight piped). I have an 03 Tiburon with stock exhaust and I4 engine, so I want a nice purr but again, not too loud. What kind of exhaust do you guys suggest? Also I don't want anything really expensive (no more than ($500).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I assume you'll want to keep the header, primary catalytic converter, and secondary cat intact so you don't need to mess with O2 sensors and check engine lights. Considering that you should be able to find a nice catback system for $500. Since the OEM exhaust manifold/header are very thick, that will help keep noise down, plus the primary and secondary catalytic converter will muffle a lot of sound. If you keep the OEM resonator that will help as well, but most catback systems will replace the resonator. In that case you WILL want to get a replacement resonator, or else you risk having more rasp/noise. Keeping the OEM resonator or finding an aftermarket one to put in with ensure you keep a nice deep tone. Mufflers are really your choice, but do think about whether you want an over-axle or under-axle design. If you plan to lower your car a lot, over-axle will keep that section of pipe out of harms way.

Another thing to think about while you're replacing exhaust parts is that eventually the primary catalytic converter will fail depending on your mileage. It may clog, or the catalyst may break lose, but no cat will last forever. Replacing your catalytic converter though will open a whole new can of worms concerning O2 sensors and such, so if you think yours is ok for now and the near future you may want to avoid messing with it.

I replaced my entire exhaust, header, catalytic converter, resonator and two mufflers. Brand new sensors, hangars, the ENTIRE system was replaced, and it took me literally over a year to plan everything out and make sure it will all fit together properly. Of course, I pieced mine together by each separate component so that was necessary, but a good exhaust is not decided on or put together over night.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions personally if you wish :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much this helps a lot. I have to replace my o2 sensors anyway so that will be thrown in with the upgrade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts