Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the same issue im having....

I have a 06 auto V6 tib... /w DC sports headers and borla catback exhaust.... no cats...

there is a rattling becuase something sounds as if it is hitting the underbody of the car... the resonater is directly under the center console and it sounds like it shakes pretty heavily....

you cannot hear anything hitting from underneath the car or shaking abnormally for that matter... just a bit of normal movement of the pipes and the resonater moves around a little bit... maybe it is the rubber brackets allowing it to jiggle around???

Should i get a weld in place of the rubber brackets that the resonater is attatched to???

i started it up... and pulled slightly a little on the resonater and it deadened the rattling noise but as soon as i let go... there it goes jiggling again

i will post a sound clip from underneath the car idling... and from inside the car moving when the rattling gets annoying as hell

·
Registered
735 Posts
You might have installed the resonator on the borla upside down or your rear pipes are knock on your bumper. You just have to adjust them so they are centered in the exhaust holes at the rear. I had the same prob with the borla... luckily on this exhaust you can adjust it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exhaust is centered... everything has been retightened... resonator is right side up....

when you slide the resonator into the rubber brackets... i noticed there is a further down hole on the brackets... almost looks as if there would be two heights you could mount the resonator... i did not put on the exhaust myself...

anyone know if you can use either of the holes on the rubber mounting bracket for the resonator???

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
you can always get some polyeurethane hangers like I did. Mine wasn't close to the underbody but the poly hangers keep it tucked nicely and allows only 1mm movement or so in either direction. Very sturdy. I have an ARK exhaust BTW and if you install the resonator upside down, you get annoying little issues also: alignment, crooked, hanging too low, but I don't think I've never heard of one rattling like yours. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I have a 06 auto V6 tib... /w DC sports headers and borla catback exhaust.... no cats...

there is a rattling becuase something sounds as if it is hitting the underbody of the car... the resonater is directly under the center console and it sounds like it shakes pretty heavily....

you cannot hear anything hitting from underneath the car or shaking abnormally for that matter... just a bit of normal movement of the pipes and the resonater moves around a little bit... maybe it is the rubber brackets allowing it to jiggle around???

Should i get a weld in place of the rubber brackets that the resonater is attatched to???

i started it up... and pulled slightly a little on the resonater and it deadened the rattling noise but as soon as i let go... there it goes jiggling again

i will post a sound clip from underneath the car idling... and from inside the car moving when the rattling gets annoying as hell
when i finished my exhaust i had 2 problems, 1 was that the resinator was upside down and 2 was that the hangers on each muffler was hitting the spot where my spare tire went. i eventually shaved off some of the hanger and it doesnt hit anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whre do you get the polyurethane hangers?? and how can you hang your resonator upside down???

i need to take some pictures tomorrow so you can tell me if it is on upside down or not... i had someone install my exhaust while i was at work ( i work at a car dealershop and the shop did it)

·
Registered
45 Posts
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83343&page=2

That will tell you about the hangers. As for hanging your resonator upside down, it happens. There are a lot of people guilty of doing that. It's just easy to do. Depending on what brand you got, the instructions should show how it goes on correctly. Pics will show us also.
my dc exhaust came with no instructions nor gaskets. i felt gipped when i paid ten bucks for for 3 gaskets....

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My ARK came with no gaskets either. Unless you have a lot of miles, you can just use your existing gaskets. I wish I would have splurged and paid the extra cash for new gaskets. I think you did the right thing by purchasing new gaskets......so you really shouldn't feel "jipped" at all.

·
Registered
486 Posts
lol, my "cheap ***" ssa came with all the gaskets. ironic.
just messin btw...

My ssa actually rubbed on the trunk lining under the car... check that out and see if your borla is doing that. it rattled the WHOLE hatch, and it was the most annoying thing in teh world. Then one day it just stopped, lol. I tried a bunch of things (putting rubber between, pulling the pipe over to readjust) but nothing worked! if anything it worked for a day, and then the rattle was back.
It just stopped one day... and never came back. really weird.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I've heard SSA exhaust did that.......well maybe it stopped cuz it either wore the spot out or loosen up and exhaust and dropped.

·
Registered
486 Posts
didn't wear the spot down, i checked it out... and the weird thing is that it came back for a weekend, and then stopped again... hasn't come back since then.
might have something to do with the temperature/humidity, i.e. the hangers expanding just enough so that the pipe doesn't rub/touch.

o well, just thought it was funny that my cat-back from an e-bay company came with all the gaskets... i wouldn't trust them with headers tho, even w/ such a tempting price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My ARK came with no gaskets either. Unless you have a lot of miles, you can just use your existing gaskets. I wish I would have splurged and paid the extra cash for new gaskets. I think you did the right thing by purchasing new gaskets......so you really shouldn't feel "jipped" at all.
the stock cat back exhaust was one big part. i think my dc exhaust cam in like 5 parts. so even if i wanted to use the old gaskets i wouldnt of had enough

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i have the ssa exhaust. it bumps underneath the car at the right edge of the spare tire well. My mechanic tried denting in the edge but that only made it worse. Try wedging something inbetween and find a clever way to hold it into place.

·
Registered
10 Posts

i just installed my dc headers and borla exhaust, mine only makes noise if i hit a bump, sounds like one of the tips or mufflers are shaking from the bump, i don't think it is anything to worry about.
Jon

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have the ssa exhaust. it bumps underneath the car at the right edge of the spare tire well. My mechanic tried denting in the edge but that only made it worse. Try wedging something inbetween and find a clever way to hold it into place.
ive done mechanics wire or rebar wire. it gets rid of the loud knocking on the spare tire area. but instead you get a little rattle from the wire. the shaking of the exhaust system makes it loose and rattle. the entire situation is a PITA.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
ive done mechanics wire or rebar wire. it gets rid of the loud knocking on the spare tire area. but instead you get a little rattle from the wire. the shaking of the exhaust system makes it loose and rattle. the entire situation is a PITA.
well i had my car up on a lift for shop class and i noticed that the rubber isolator bushings are a factor on the distance the exhaust hangs from the under-chassis. I'm going to see if i can find blocks of rubber, cut it slightly bigger than the existing isolators drill in two holes (for the hangars) and spread them so that distance between them are further than stock so that it hangs further from the chassis.

now... does anyone have any idea where i can get a block of rubber? =P

·
Registered
29 Posts
i had the same problem and i did go under the car to check where the sound is coming from, even if i go into a closed tunnel i heat it around 3.5 rpm so i found out its the headers and its exactly in the middle so both units was a bit lose and i had to use co2 to tight them up and its all good now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts