Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am going to have the setup up. I was initially planning on throwing the headers on my car today, but I pulled my back at work and I don't want to be screwing around my garage with the aches that I have.

Borla has a deep quiet sound, some drone around town though, so I figure with straight DC Sport headers, there is going to be A LOT of drone coming into the cab. However, with the Borla being deep and quiet, I am sure that this is going to be an extremely good combo.

I love the Borla cat-back system and I can't wait to get this setup in the works.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i love the sound of the borla on stock headers, i am a bit worried bout gettin aftermarket ones, but i think if i put a highflow cat on it it should be good. the drone in the cabin really doesnt bother me either

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be running the same setup in a few months... I have an Injen CAI stock headers and borla catback right now....

Anyone know how difficult it is to put on DC Sports headers yourself???

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nicjr said:
I will be running the same setup in a few months... I have an Injen CAI stock headers and borla catback right now....

you really have to be up to the challenge of an all day install, obviously depending on how mechanically inclinded you are it will be faster or slower. It really is a PITA to do though.

oh and as for adding headers, as long as you dont mind the drone, you'll love the headers.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Nicjr said:

To bad you dont live near me. Id give you a hand. Its a PITA and time consumeing but you can do it. Lildragon42182, Omega, and myself installed the SSA's on Omegas tib. The hardest and most time consuming part is getting the stock ones off since they take up so much damn space. Putting the others on was a piece of cake and took no time

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im actually havin a shop do it, they can do it in about 3 hours, and i dont get much time off from work, and i have a mafterburner and springs to install too, so i want to get it all done in a weekend, easiest thing for me is to just have the shop do the headers and i will install the mafterburner (if it ever gets here) and springs

·
Registered
10 Posts
around here... the shops are damn theives... I worked all weekend and didnt really have time to do my catback... i took it to mieneke or however u spell it... they tried to charge me 200$ to bolt it on... i got one of the mechanics to do it at the ford dealership i work at... took him 45 minutes solo and charged me 30 bucks.....

Only reason i considered doing the headers myself...

·
Registered
621 Posts
i thought about having a shop do it, but thats just more money down the tubes. doing it myself was worth every penny i saved by not going to a shop.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
if you are going to do headers but are worried about getting it done, I highly recommend you have a full day devoted to the install, preferably with another mode of transportation for the next day in case anything goes wrong. Always better to be prepared.

·
Registered
735 Posts
xFloggingkylex said:
if you are going to do headers but are worried about getting it done, I highly recommend you have a full day devoted to the install, preferably with another mode of transportation for the next day in case anything goes wrong. Always better to be prepared.
I would recommend having a second day (With stores open so you can purchase parts) that you can work on your car as well as a secondary mode of transportation when doing ANY mod that could affect the drivability of your car. This goes for changing springs, brakes and what not. You never know when a bolt is going to break or a seal is going to tear.

I did a front and rear speaker install on my Tib and figured that I would hang up the gloves for the night and finish putting in the interior plastics after work the next day. Luckily for me, I attempted to start the car with the door panels off and realized that the car won't start with out them... Only 20 mins or so of work, but I would have missed work the next day had I not tried it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
NicEdwards said:
I did a similar install and drove without my door panels for a day.....what year do you have??? if you have an 06 i dunno if it was ur door panels or what
I have an 03. And the car wouldn't start, put the panels back on and away she went. Door panels being the ONLY difference between not running and running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 05 GT and have this combination of DC Headers/Borla with an AEM CAI. After a few months I can hardly notice the drone at all. At first I was damn sure I'd get pulled over especially when I really gassed it. It only threw its first CEL after .... 4 months, but I installed 18mm sparkplug nonfoulers for the bank 1, 2nd sensor and bank 2 second sensor and all is good.
I installed the borla first to the stock headers and that sounded nice. I also felt a noticable power increase, however, after putting on the headers it got really loud and took a while for everything to get some carbon buildup to dampen the drone. As with the headers you'll lose a little low end, but you'll notice some good power, especially in about 60F weather.

The install on the exhuast was about 45 minutes, while the install on the headers took me more like a week, but that was because the manifolds mounting bracket that bolts up to the engine block was actually welded on backwards and it had to sit while I had a new one shipped. AEM was good about swapping it once I sent them pictures of the problem.

This combo is pretty nice in my opinion. You can really turn some heads when you gas it. It also improved my highway gas milage from about 280 miles/tank to about 380 miles/tank, but dont be surprised if your city milage stays the same, or more likely goes down.

Contact me if you have any questions on the installation, etc.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NicEdwards said:
god that is damn awesome....did you add a high flow cat or you kept it pipe and mufflers??
no cat yet, but imma order one on ebay and get it put in, i love the sound, but its too loud, since headers arent legal in CA, i dont wanna attract too much attention to myself

·
Registered
13 Posts
Over time you'll notice the noise will subside once you have sufficient carbon build up to help dampen the resonation. For the first month or so I got really good at driving under very little throttle. I actually had a county sherrif get out of his car and walk out into the middle of a 3 lane road listening for me to nail it. I thought I was done, but just throttled lightly until I was out of sight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts