Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well first off, i want my headers to be carb legal so im guessing i should get the hotshot because it has a cat right? What about them DC sports? they come with a cat also? My friend said that headers w/ no cat will make ur car smell like sheeet but more power...which headers are a good price, with cat, and doesnt smell lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
i have dc headers and it sounds awesome with my ark dual exhaust. gain is pretty damn good too. but like u said no cat and it smells like go kart. hotshots have two types of headers. one with cat and one without. hotshot with cat will be carb legal but they are too expensive. its up to u. im in CA but i got the dc headers and i was happy with it. new cars dont smog test for 5 years so its not that bad. its up to u. good luck and let us know wat u got.

·
Registered
639 Posts
sahn said:
do the DC sport headers smell?

yes they do. like go kart.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
you can get a cat put on. thats what im gonna do, im buyin cobby's headers and gettin a cat welded in, it will not give quite as good hp (loose about 2whp) but it tones down the sound and gets rid of the smell.

and btw no headers are CARB legal, you will either have to find a shop that takes bribes or take them off when you finally gotta smog, which for me will be in 1 year i think.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
OK!

NO HEADERS for the Tib are Carb Legal. so get that outta your head.

Your car is brand new, so you don't have to smog for like 7 years or some crap... so you have plenty of time. You probably won't even have the car when it's time to smog it.

Secondly... get whichever headers you want and buy and $50 Magnaflow/Carsound catalytic converter off of eBay and have it installed.

The smell shouldn't be bag with a highflo cat.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
sahn said:
where is it at?? just give me a call
go see the SD forums, saturday mornin, 32nd street base, if you go with me i should be able to get you on base, you would have to drive your car, and probably get a visitor pass.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
You can get any header and install a hi-flo cat that's not restrictive. My hotshots have the hi-flo cat and it does clean the emmissions, not as effectively as the oem, but nonetheless it cleans, because my secondary O2 sensors are installed and no emmission CEL's. My hotshots and DC catback are one of the best sounding combos I've heard on tibs.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You should probably forget about Hotshot. I think that company is falling apart. My headers have been on backorder for 5 months.

You might want to consider SSA v2 + jethot ceramic coat + Magnaflow cat.

Or DC Sports, but I hear it's harder to toss a cat on those...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
DC headers and no cat. I just hit the button that recycles cabin air when A/c or heater on

·
Registered
939 Posts
TC from NextGen sells SSA headers and his own custom ones... as far as I know, they are not equal length. Hotshot was the only brand I know that were equal length.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My hotshots were on back order for 3 months when I got them almost 2 years ago. I hear that's pretty common. I believe hotshot just moved also which is causing a longer than normal delay. I waited 4 months for my DC catback. It sucked waiting, but I'm glad I have the setup I do.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so i heard that u lose bottom end power with headers because of backpressure...if we lose torque and gain hp wont we kinda even out? are headers high end mod?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
sahn said:
ok so i heard that u lose bottom end power with headers because of backpressure...if we lose torque and gain hp wont we kinda even out? are headers high end mod?
Yes you will lose low end torque with headers. Get a tune and you will bring most of it back.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hurdler5280 said:
Yes you will lose low end torque with headers. Get a tune and you will bring most of it back.
bingo... your opening up the exhaust system and taking away restrictions in the pipes so air flows faster and more of it. The tune does help alot. U want to gain back some low end kick after the tune the pulleys help and light weight rims.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts