Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to do it, other than just wait it out? There's no water or anything in them, just the inside of the lenses fogged up when I was washing it today. I just painted the bezels a few days ago, and today was the first day I've driven it with them back in the car. I sealed them back the best I could using the "heat-and-squeeze" method, and then added some sealant around the edges and let that dry over night before reinstalling them. I figured I'd be good to go, but I guess not. They sat out in the rain for a night, and they were fine, so I don't know why they got fogged up when I was washing my car. They had been exposed to water before. One of the lenses has already de-fogged itself, but the other one doesn't want to. I REALLY don't want to pull them back out, heat them back up, pull them back apart, clean the lenses, put them back together, re-seal them, let them dry overnight, etc. all over again. Since the one de-fogged itself, I imagine the other one will too, eventually. So once that happens, what do you guys recommend I do to keep them sealed up?

P.S. I'm ****ing pissed. I was all excited that I finally got my headlights done, and now they look even worse than they did originally. :3_saai:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and for some reason, the one that de-fogged itself already looks extremely dirty. I just PlastX'd them the night I put them back in, and they were looking pretty good. Now they look like total **** again.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
scftw said:
Is there any way to do it, other than just wait it out? There's no water or anything in them, just the inside of the lenses fogged up when I was washing it today. I just painted the bezels a few days ago, and today was the first day I've driven it with them back in the car. I sealed them back the best I could using the "heat-and-squeeze" method, and then added some sealant around the edges and let that dry over night before reinstalling them. I figured I'd be good to go, but I guess not. They sat out in the rain for a night, and they were fine, so I don't know why they got fogged up when I was washing my car. They had been exposed to water before. One of the lenses has already de-fogged itself, but the other one doesn't want to. I REALLY don't want to pull them back out, heat them back up, pull them back apart, clean the lenses, put them back together, re-seal them, let them dry overnight, etc. all over again. Since the one de-fogged itself, I imagine the other one will too, eventually. So once that happens, what do you guys recommend I do to keep them sealed up?

P.S. I'm ****ing pissed. I was all excited that I finally got my headlights done, and now they look even worse than they did originally. :3_saai:
My stockers kinda fog up when I was the car, but it doesn't last that long. Is there constant moisture inside yours?

·
Registered
981 Posts
i get mad to when my whole car looks shiny and clean, and then BAM, i got those fugly headlights that look like i had them on there since the 80's cus there all faded and shet

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
05GT said:
My stockers kinda fog up when I was the car, but it doesn't last that long. Is there constant moisture inside yours?
Well, like I said, there's no water or anything in there. They just fogged up. And one of them already de-fogged itself. This is the first time it's ever happened.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tiburon628 said:
hair dryer is the easy but temp way out.
Well, what if I just add a bunch more sealant to them once they're back to normal? Would that solve the problem, do you think? My brother suggested I do that, then put strips of 3M tape over the top of them (the part hidden under the hood), just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went out and checked, and the one still hasn't de-fogged. It doesn't even look like it's starting to. It's been about 2 hours since I washed my car now. :(

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I used a hair dryer on the one, and applied a shitload more sealant to both of them. Last time, I went kind of easy, using about 1/5 of the tube of sealant at most. Now the tube is almost empty. If this doesn't work, I'm throwing them away and buying 05s. :p

·
Registered
735 Posts
Here is a really good idea for you. It worked for me quite well. When I first did my Angel Eyess I put the lights back together and they fogged. I had to take the AEs back out because when I got them they weren't soldered and the wires came apart in the head light and only 2 of my 4 AEs worked. One in each HL and it wasn't the same one on each side. Lol.

Anyways, take your HLs off the car again and throw one in the oven at 100 degrees for 5 - 10 minutes. (Real low temp, just enough to heat the sealant up) then pull the first headlight out and stick the second in. While the first headlight is still warm and the second is roasting squeeze the lense and the housing together. (Tightening the seal) Do this until you can't feel it shifting anymore. Then wait the remainder of the 10 mins for the second headlight, switch the first one back in and squeeze the second together. Rotate them 2 or 3 times or until you don't have anymore "shifting" after they have been heated. That should save you a lot of extra sealant, and most likely seal the headlights up as it is.

For the fogginess after the Plastix.. the plastix has some sort of polish in it that will wash/rinse off after a while. It puts a shiny coating on the headlight to make them LOOK clear. You will have to polish with the plastix after every wash/rain and once or twice a week maybe more depending. The stuff is a micro abrasive compound with a polish/wax in it. It is not made to coat your head lights for brand new shine and protection. You need to buy new headlights for that.
To add to that, that hazing that you are getting on your headlights and the flaking, scabby, flecks (Don't know how to describe it) Is the clear coating/UV protectant that came factory on the headlights. Over time it just wears off. The plastix removes the rest of it. So, now your headlights don't have it anymore.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, when I put the headlights back together, I heated them up and squeezed. Then heated them some more and squeezed. I did this until they wouldn't move anymore. Then I applied the extra sealant to them.

As for the PlastX... What will happen now that the clear coat is gone from my headlights, if anything?

·
Registered
735 Posts
scftw said:
Well, when I put the headlights back together, I heated them up and squeezed. Then heated them some more and squeezed. I did this until they wouldn't move anymore. Then I applied the extra sealant to them.

As for the PlastX... What will happen now that the clear coat is gone from my headlights, if anything?
Nothing will happen, you just need to apply the plastix often to keep them looking all clean, polished and shiny!

The stuff doesn't make the headlights brand new, it makes the headlights LOOK brand new.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BigCarl said:
Nothing will happen, you just need to apply the plastix often to keep them looking all clean, polished and shiny!

The stuff doesn't make the headlights brand new, it makes the headlights LOOK brand new.
Yeah... I'm going to try the wet sanding-PlastX method thing I've been hearing about lately this weekend probably.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
If your headlights are fogged, just pop one of the caps off from the back of your headlight to let the moisture escape.

Easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts