Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

This thread is intended to inform you about installing and configuring the Haltech Elite 2500 Series Standalone into an 03 V6 Supercharged Tiburon.

First a little intro to some of the features of the Elite 2500 taken from Haltech's site here.

FEATURES:
• Waterproof Case (IP67)
• 8 x Fuel Injection Outputs
• 8 x Ignition Outputs
• 28 x Digital Outputs
• 10 x Analogue Voltage Inputs
• USB laptop communications
• Drive By Wire (DBW) Throttle Control
• 6 x Engine Position Inputs with extensive trigger type support
• Programmable Injector Peak and Hold Currents
• OBDII Capable – set and clear diagnostics trouble codes
• New “ESP” calibration software – More intuitive and easier to use than ever
• Dual CAN Bus communications for OEM and Haltech CAN expansion
• User definable 5D Tuning – Tune by Gear, Cam Angle or any channel for ultimate tuning flexibility
• Variable Cam Control – Independently Control up to 4 camshafts
• Dual Channel Knock Control – With FFT analysis for accurate detection
• Auto Tune Capabilities – Short and Long term fuel, ignition & boost learning
• Staged Fuelling – Up to four stages of injectors
• Multi-fuel Support- Support for Petrol (Gasoline), Methanol and Ethanol
• E85 Flex Fuel Ready – With additional boost tables
• Closed Loop Boost Control – Multiple Modes – Tune by gear, wheel speed or time
• Closed Loop Idle Control – With learning for consistent idle stability
• Closed Loop 02 Control – Dual bank control for precise tuning
• Anti-Lag and Launch Control – Drag and Rally modes
• Data logging – Internal memory & external laptop logging
• Multi Level Engine Protection – Set limits for sensors and protect your engine
• ECU comes fully enabled, no additional charges for advanced features

If you read closely you'll see that the Elite 2500 is OBDII compliant!! What that means for those of us that need to pass a Vehicle Scan to pass an Emission test is now we can with a Standalone!! :) AND being OBDII compliant means you can use all your favorite OBD scan tools, including Torque, to read and log sensor data as well as clear CEL codes!! How cool is that!!

On to how I chose to install it. I took a junkyard ECU and hacked it up to fabricate an adapter harness for the Elite 2500 and Hyundai interface plugs. On top of that since the 2500 does not have internal coil igniters I hacked off a section of the spare ECU and am using OE coil igniters with the 2500. Pretty cool huh? :)

Here's a pic of the completed apdater box:

Here's a pic of the Haltech installed in the OEM ECU location:

And finally here's a pic of the completed glove box install. ECU on left is stock and Haltech adapter box is on the right. It literally takes me 30 seconds to switch between the two. :) Sorry for blurry pic. I'll fix when I can.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wanted to add the mod I did to utilize OEM Coil Igniters with the Haltech. Its all nice and contained in an OEM ECU box and works perfectly!

Other than that I've been driving around doing some street tuning. I can already feel more power when compared to the OEM ECU. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Awesome work bro!
I have been contemplating to switch to a stand alone and evaluating the pros and cons( haltech/ Mega/ hydra/ etc) but im afraid of losing other car functions like my dashboard or my AC.

What did you lose with the haltech?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just have a little update. Haven't made it to the dyno to fine tune things but the Tib is running AWESOME. I just installed a 2nd Bosch LSU 4.9 wideband over the weekend so I can have the Haltech auto tune each bank individually. Let me just say this feature rocks! I now can just plug in a desired AFR and the Haltech will use short and long term fuel trims to meet that target.

People may say big deal the OEM ECU already does this. True BUT, and its a very BIG BUTT!! ;) The OE ECU only does closed loop tuning at below 50% throttle and I believe 4k RPM. The Haltech will tune closed loop for the full throttle and RPM sweep! Couple this with the stupid fast LSU 4.9 sensors and tuning couldn't be easier. Plug in a desired AFR, then drive a let the Haltech do the rest!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am curious if you can carry parts of this over to the PS2000... I need a base tune for it this winter and need to just finish up the wiring for it to get it in the car. Awesome to see it working and running! Kind of wish I just bought the Elite over the PS... Oh well both nice ECU's

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think you can downgrade an elite map to a Plat Sport but you can try? PM me your email and I can send you my current map. If the downgrade fails you can always copy/past my map values into yours.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah it is [email protected]

And yeah I figure worst case I can move all the values over but biggest thing will be being able to have something to get my car to maybe start on and get it tuned from there. That has been my biggest worry is starting from scratch.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll get that map to you today. Other thing to note is I'm running 370Z injectors which are about 360cc and I'm running E85 so I've got all sorts of flex fuel compensation sh1t going on. Luckily I data logged my stock ECU's timing curve and just plugged that into the Elite map to get me started. Right now I'm struggling to get closed loop idle control to work as well as getting the transient throttle response dialed in. What a PITA that thing is. lol

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Damn, I'm really jealous. Good work as always man, you're always top dogg.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't dyno'd the Tib yet but she's running AWESOME! I'm pushing 6psi at 7k rpm on 91 octane currently.

If anyone wants an Elite 91 octane base map running R35 GT-R injectors hit me up. Free for All! :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Are things like the ABS controlled by the Haltech or it's own thing? I'm curious of what all the ECU interfaces with when it comes to ABS, ESC, SRS etc. -snip-
Edit: TCM = Transmission Control Module, your previous post didn't click till I looked that up, herp derp removing already answered question...
I'm curious of what else could be problematic with a standalone ECU.

I really want to see some Dino numbers!

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
Are things like the ABS controlled by the Haltech or it's own thing? I'm curious of what all the ECU interfaces with when it comes to ABS, ESC, SRS etc. -snip-
Edit: TCM = Transmission Control Module, your previous post didn't click till I looked that up, herp derp removing already answered question...
I'm curious of what else could be problematic with a standalone ECU.

I really want to see some Dino numbers!
Lots of alternate systems are controlled by their own "black box".
ESC and ABS are usually together but may also have a tie into the ECU to reduce power.

Thus, not an issue when going to a full standalone, but also means you may not have control of that system.

PS, you also want "dyno numbers", not "Dino numbers" I believe..... ;-)

Reactions: The_Evenger
1 - 20 of 28 Posts