Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got the guts to do the night shade thing to my tail lights, but I wanted to do something different, as well as keep them semi functional. I didn't go straight black, but I let them get pretty dark. Let me know what you guys think. I will have pics when the sun is out; I ran out of daylight installing them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
hey man that looks awesome. get it installed and post pics again.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put them in, but there wasn't enough light for a pic. I was worried about how the black would look on a Tidal Wave Blue Tiburon, but i must say, I am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That looks pretty cool. I wish shaded taillights/headlights weren't illegal here. :(

Actually, I need to read up on that. I just heard it from a friend, but never got an official answer from law enforcement or anything. Anybody know where I can go to look up local laws like that, internet-wise?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for TN law, I am unsure. I grew up in VA and was stationed in MD. In both of those states, it is officer discretion. If the officer beleives that the lights are not visible from 1000 feet away (as per DOT regulations; all factory and aftermarket taillights adhere to this) a ticket can be issued and then debated in court. The light must be visible and be red in color for rear running lights and red or amber for turn signals. As long as you apply the coating in a responsible manner (i got the black look with just a hint of the red) it should be fine. I tested mine with the lighs on, and the running lights are visible from my apartment to the car no problem. But I am neither a lawyer or a state trooper, just got pulled in Baltimore multiple times for having blackout covers on my MX3 headlights after dark. I may be wrong. As for where to look, call the state police in TN and ask.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I should have asked tonight, since you said it was dark already, but I'd like to see pictures of them turned on if you don't mind, just to see how dark they are.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a night pic, but it is from a crappy camera. All the lights are on, including the turn signals. They look really red for some reason. In person, all you see is the lighted cavity where the bulbs are, the rest is jet black.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
take it during daylight and dont use your flash. If you use flash, it will come out looking like its barely nightshaded, as your picture above does

·
Registered
373 Posts
good idea... i might try it out with my F/Ls

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
didn't use my flash, just heavy traffic and headlight overspill from my apartment complex

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the mounted pics:

Like I said, I didn't go as dark as most people' I just wanted to make sure I would stay as legal as possible

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
Very nice. The blacked tails look great on blue Tibs.

·
Registered
468 Posts
that's exactly what i want.... tell me how you did it! Please! I have VHT niteshade, but I've just been too ***** to apply it. I'm afraid of ****ing up!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was easy. Take some regular masking tape, lay it down on something that will be easy to pull the tape off of. Place the nightshade can over the tape, and cut out the shape. Place the circle over the reverse light, and begin to nightshade.

·
Registered
468 Posts
ermm... thank you. That's not actually what I was talking about though.

I mean the actual niteshading process. How did you pain it so that it looks so smooth and glossy?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts