Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I put this up to my website after seeing many people having trouble installing our standard HID Relay harnesses. I'll post it here as well!

This is a guide on how to install a relay harness. You can purchase it from us for only $15 ( CLICK HERE! )

OR, purchase the HID Conversion Kit from us, ( CLICK HERE! )and add it to your order for only $10!

#5 is the plug in your harness that fits into the stock headlight wire plug. For H7 size, it is a red connector, for all other sizes, it is a black female connector.

1. Connect to Left Ballast input

2. Connect to Right Ballast input
NOTE: 1 & 2 may be reversed depending on where your battery is and how long the connector cable legs are.

3. Connect to the Positive + side of your battery.

4. Connect to the Negative - side of your battery.
Note: the negative power leg may also be connected to a solid chassis ground anywhere on the body of the vehicle.

5. Connect to your car's stock headlight power cable.
Note: This connection can be to either the right or left headlight power connector. The other headlight connector is no longer used.

How it works: The Headlight power connector (5) powers the relay (6) which provides power directly from the battery (3 & 4) through a fuse (7) to the HID ballasts (1 & 2).

Questions? Reply to this thread or PM, or shoot an email to [email protected] for help!

·
Registered
317 Posts
on the h7 how is the red connector suppsoed to fit into the headlight houseing if the cap is supposed to go on?

installed the low beams and they suddenly stopped working today.. i checked the fuse and its fine, i know because i switched the horn and the low beam fuses and they both work..i tried hooking the HIDS up to a relay but they still dont go on..im pretty sure i did it right but its unclear..do the connectors that hook up to the light that are supposed to plug in the ballast just hang freely? and do the wires that normally plug into the stock headlight wires just hang freee as well? very confused right now and have no lighting.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You put the red connector through the cap and right next to the grommet, it is still a pretty good seal. It must plug into the stock headlight bulb plug.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump due to a few questions!

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Paul, in your relay kit, is #5 the male version of connectors #1 and #2?

I got a HID relay kit from elsewhere (not from you), and the #5 connector is the kind that plugs into the power plug inside of the headlight (the one in which two spade lugs are inserted if one is not using a relay kit.

I have a choice of either not screwing on the dust cover so I can run that wire into the headlight (not acceptable), or cutting off one of the #1/#2 connectors coming out of the headlight and splicing the spade-lug style #5 connector to them (not my preference).

I would much rather just have the proper plug on the relay kit (which would be the male version of plugs #1 and #2 in your photo. If your relay kit has that, I will order it right now.

If it doesn't, please let me know and I will get to the splicing. :3_sadley:

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't cut up the relay kit... that would make it not work, if I'm understanding you correctly.

You should be running wires through the dust cap anyway, just run the #5 plug through the grommet along with the other wires from the kit.

Thanks!
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Don't cut up the relay kit... that would make it not work, if I'm understanding you correctly. You should be running wires through the dust cap anyway, just run the #5 plug through the grommet along with the other wires from the kit.
The power plug inside the headlight connects to two spade lugs, which connect to wires that go through the dust cap, and connect to a plug like your #1 and #2 wires in your photo.

As I said, my relay kit is not from DD. The HID kit I have has a plug that is a plug -- it looks like the plug on a lamp that you plug into the wall in your house. It's not a connector that plugs into that #1 style connector. It's not spade lugs that can go through a hole in the dust cap. It's a full-on plug size thing that plugs into the power plug inside the headlight. Right now, I have the dust cover hanging loose, and the plug from the relay plugged into the plug inside the headlight.

That's the kit that I have. If the #5 plug on your kit has a plug that will plug into the #1 style connector, then I will buy yours right now. Does it?

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Email is the most direct way to contact me- I am on over 20 forums and cannot always check them on a regular basis. [email protected]

The 1 connector plugs into the ballast. I'm guessing it's an H7 size kit? The spade "plug" does plug into the stock headlight power plug. You need to drill a hole in the dust cap, and put the plug through with the HID wires, using the grommet that came on the HID kit.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
The 1 connector plugs into the ballast. I'm guessing it's an H7 size kit? The spade "plug" does plug into the stock headlight power plug. You need to drill a hole in the dust cap, and put the plug through with the HID wires, using the grommet that came on the HID kit.
You say this like you think it makes sense. It doesn't. There is absolutely no way to do what you describe.

If the relay kit were properly designed, the #5 connector would be the same connector as on the ballast, since the purpose of the relay is to go in between the HID plug on the headlight (which would otherwise plug into the ballast), and the plug on the ballast.

The photo above looks like that might be the case in your kit, but it's hard to tell from the side.

I will make a new thread after I finish installing my headers, with photos of the various connectors. Maybe that will make it clearer.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The #5 plug does not plug into the ballast, it plugs into the stock headlight power source.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
The #5 plug does not plug into the ballast, it plugs into the stock headlight power source.
That's my point: it shouldn't. What it should do is plug into the ballast-style plug on the HIDs themselves, which then goes through the grommet into the headlight, and that attaches to the stock headlight power source.

Actually, it looks to me that the ballast connector is the same as a 9006 bulb connector. I will check that tomorrow. If that is the case, and if you sell a relay kit with a 9006 connector for connector #5, then that's exactly what I want.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I bought a kit off ebay and recieved it today... everything was the same except #5 the plug that fits into the stock headlight wire plug... price was almost the same, but this one looks cleaner. I should have bought it from you

on a side note.... I remember when I bought my first hid relay kit about 6 years ago from another sponsor here...it was nothing compare to the ones that ssell now. It was basically a relay harness with a fuse.... times change

·
Registered
113 Posts
mmmmk so last week or so i bought a low beam and fog light kit both with relays. one looked like this and one looked different which im assuming the one in OP is for the low beam and this one is for the fogs and guessing the 2 prongs here are grounds.

gonna install fogs tomorrow.

20120425_115855.jpg

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, that would be ground wires. Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
no sir, thank you! your reply is much appreciated. and when all done i will post pics and write a review for the products i bought on your webpage!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have the same issue that Bblackmoor had, but he never posted the solution so...
My setup: 06 Tib SE 2.7
HID H7 with Relay harness

Now, how is the red dual spade connector supposed to connect exactly? There are already power socket connectors (the split spade connectors inside the headlight, along side the HID bulbs) that runs out of the grommet and is attached to a male plug. So how is the male plug supposed to connect to the red dual spade connector?

Or did I recieve the wrong Relay Harness?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts