Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I've been asked by a few members on here to post a DIY on how to convert a 2003-2006 center fascia to an FL2 style from a 2007-2008 sexy looking one, and more specifically how I got my “A/C” button to work (to ACTUALLY turn on and off the compressor).

Although I was not able to post this in the DIY section for some reason (I’m guessing post count) I will continue..

I was only able to write this DIY up with help from these other very helpful threads:

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/interior/187058-hvac-swap-03-07-a.html

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/diy-interior/235313-hvac-swap-03-06-07-08-a.html

And before we begin, let me just start out by saying that this is my first DIY, so please be kind in the comments, and help others as I try to do. Also, if anyone needs help or is having problems, ASK! We are modifying the electrical system, it's not very dangerous if you exercise a bit of caution, but stay safe, and ask questions before needing to buy new components!!

It is a pretty involved task, so you will need a lot of patience and the proper tools:

-Dikes (Wire Cutters)
-Wire Strippers
-Soldering Iron
-Solder (60/40 for electrical applications)
-Heat Gun
-Shrink Wrap Tubing
-12v Test Light
-Multimeter
-Patience
-Electrical Tape
-Small and large phillips screwdrivers
- Small and large flathead screwdrivers
-This (Hopefully Comprehensive) Guide
-A Standard 5-pin automotive relay (and wiring harness that goes with)
-Extra wire, some black, and some red (any you have laying around will work, but 18-20AWG will probably work best)

First thing is first, let's dive right in and remove your center fascia:
Open your ash tray, and get a grip on the bottom of the fascia and gently pull towards you.
Be careful not to break any of the 6 clips that hold the fascia to the dash.

(Pretend like this is the crappy looking 03-06 fascia you're getting rid of)

Remove all of the wiring harnesses:
AC harness, Blower control harness, Fog switch harness, Hazard harness, and Clock harness, and you might feel more comfortable by removing the radio as well (4 screws)

Take a look at the blower control wiring harness (The big 6-pin connector right in front of you), This is what we’ll be working with first.

(Keep in mind these pictures were taken AFTER the swap was complete)

I wasn't fast-thinking enough to take pictures before completion.

Using your smallest itty bitty screwdriver, unlock pin #2 (Orange w/ Black stripe) and remove from harness. (You'll be doing this several more times so get used to it).

Remove pin # 1 (Blue) and stick into # 2 slot until it clicks into place.
Remove pin # 3 (Black) and stick into pin # 1 slot.
Remove pin # 5 (Red) and stick into # 3 slot.
Remove pin # 6 (White) and stick into # 5 slot.
The wire in the # 4 spot (Brown) stays where it is.

We’ll be using that Orange w/ Black stripe wire in a few more steps. Don’t let me forget about it!!

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO KEEP AN EYE ON THE PRINTOUTS I HAVE FOR YOU TOWARDS THE END OF THIS POST. IT WILL MAKE THINGS INCREDIBLY EASY FOR YOU TO FOLLOW.

That wasn't so bad right??? It gets worse. =(

Now we're going to look at the 23-pin connector that also plugs into the same module (the AC switches)

This one is a little more tricky to get the pins unlocked, so BE CAREFUL, and USE CAUTION not to break any of the locking tabs.

Remove pins # 1 and # 2, and swap their locations. (Black w/ Red stripe, and Red)
Remove pins # 7 and # 8 and swap their placements as well. (Green w/ Black stripe, and Green)
Remove pin # 17 (Yellow) and stick into slot # 18.
Remove pin # 18 (Red w/ Black stripe) and stick into slot # 21.
Remove pin # 19 (Blue w/ Black Stripe) and stick into slot # 22.

Remember that Orange w/ Black stripe wire we removed from the 6-Pin connector??

Stick that into Slot # 23.

Now remove a pin and some length of wire (from another harness) and stick into slot # 20.

Splice this new length of wire (USING SOLDER) with the wire on pin # 3.

Now, the worst is over!! Grab a beer and watch Judge Judy for a half hour. (That's what I did).

Now I think it's safe to bring out the shiny new relay you bought, and attach it to the shiny new wiring harness it came with.

It's not mandatory to get the wiring harness, but it will make it a lot easier to follow along if the colors are the same.

Splice the Blue wire (Pin # 30 if you didn't get the harness) with the Black wire in slot # 1 of the 1st (6-Pin) connector.

Splice the Black wire (Pin # 86 on the relay harness) with the Orange w/ Black stripe wire in slot # 23 of the 23-Pin connector.

Check to see if Judge Judy is on again, if so, grab another beer. If not, move on to the next step.

Grab your 12v Test Light, and find a nice switched power source. (I tapped into my cigarette lighter because it was the easiest) It is important that you find a source that is only running power through it when the car is in the ON position (rather than ACC).

Grab some of your extra Red wire you have laying around. (18-20 gauge AWG preferably) and cut about a foot or so off. (Doesn't have to be red, but it's a good indicator that there's power running through it).

SOLDER the red wire to the White wire (Pin # 85 on the relay), and splice the other end to the 12v switched source you found.

This is the fun part. =)

Crawl down to the Pass. side floor boards, and carefully remove your glove box. It's been awhile since I've removed it, but from what I can recall its 6 or 8 phillips head screws, and the connector for the light. Be sure to take all of your stuff out first, or else it will all become a big pile on the floor.

Removing the glove box makes it easier to access the blower switch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
(Not my picture)

Below the blower motor assembly, you'll see 2 different connectors, a big one, and a small one) Remove them with the phillips head screw holding them in, to make it easier to get your multimeter into the Black wire on pin # 18 of the LARGE connector.

Try to keep it on there the best you can.

Now you can jump back into the driver's seat.

Looking past where your stereo should be, you should see 2 major grounding points, one to the left, and another to the right. Loosen the bolt that holds in the grounds to the right, and take each wire apart by twisting it apart. (It is fairly tedious to get them back together afterwards, but it is VERY important to get them snug with each other after this is done.

(Not my picture)

You guessed it! Were looking for the wires that connect to the wire near the glove box.

Set your multimeter to Ohms, and if you have the cheapest one from Radioshack like the one I have, you can make it beep when there's continuity.

One of these wires is the correct one. One of these wires is not the correct one….

GOOD LUCK!

Close your eyes and cut one.

If you cut the right one, than you can brag to everyone that you're better at working on cars than the guy that wrote this. shut up.

If you didn't cut the correct one, then the one you cut should be from the other black wire going to the same harness. All you have to do is swap them AT THE HARNESS and you're good to go.

Take that extra Black wire you have laying around, and SOLDER it to the freshly cut black wire. Oh, and put your glove box back together already.

Take the other end of your extra wire and SOLDER it together with the Yellow wire from the relay harness (Pin # 87) Did I remember to tell you to cover everything with heat shrink tubing? Well do it, and don't get electrocuted!! Naw, 12 volts won't kill you. Sorry to scare you.

Now you can plug into your NEW SEXY FL2 FASCIA and feel the warm/cold air of your choosing!!! (Hopefully. People do make mistakes, so now's the time to fix it or ask questions).

Tape everything up with electrical tape to make it look like you didn't make any mistakes.

Now that the hard part is over, you only have like 2 steps to go, Judge Judy time?? Naw, just beer.

Take a minute to admire its sexyness. NO, NOT JUDGE JUDY….sicko.

Take out your AC control unit from your fascia. (4 screws) and also take it more fully apart ( 2 more screws and some snap in things). Take it more fully apart (8 screws for the electrical board)

take out the electrical board, look to the top right and see a small transistor labeled Q12. (reference pictures)

Take some extra (Any Colored) wiring (maybe 6 inches or so (Or 15 cm to people that live in actual countries)), and solder one end to the bottom right leg. (This is, in fact, 1 of the only 2 places possible to tap into on this whole electrical board, and it is the one with the highest current traveling through it to trigger the relay) I know it's such a small connection to trigger the relay, but trust me, it's the ONLY WAY. =(

Were going to solder the other end straight to the pin itself. (less than ideal I know)

Find Pin # 18 (the one with the Yellow wire going to the connector) and solder the other end of the wire the the underside of the pin. (reference pictures) Just remember 6th pin from the top right.

That's It!! Now your AC compressor will turn on with the button!! That was way easy.

Now put everything back together and plug it in to make sure.

Now we need to work on the Fog/Hazard/clock switches, which you'll notice the connectors merge into 1 connector. No big deal. BUT the pins from your wiring harness won't fit into the pins from the new connector (believe me I've tried) so more soldering for you!

First off, Foglight switch:

SOLDER Wire from Pin # 1 from foglight switch (Grey) and connect it to Pin # 2 on new harness.
Connect Wire from Pin # 2 (Pink w/ Black stripe) to Pin # 1.
Connect Wire from Pin # 3 (Black) to Pin # 3.
Connect Wire from Pin # 4 (Orange) to Pin # 15.
Connect Wire from Pin # 5 (White w/ Orange stripe) to Pin # 16
Connect Wire from Pin # 6 (Black) to Pin # 4

Now, Hazard Switch:

Connect Wire from Pin # 6 (White) to Pin # 11.
That's the only one we're going to use from the hazard switch.

Clock:

Connect Wire from Pin # 2 (Red) to Pin # 13

Get an extra wire (w/ pin) and splice into Pin # 4 from clock harness. LEAVE ENOUGH SLACK. I recommend 3 at least inches (8 cm ugh) if you can manage.

Place resulting 2 pins in slot # 12 and slot # 14 respectively.

Tape everything up so it looks nice and pretty and hope you are done in time for the next Judge Judy!! =)!

I really hope this DIY helps some people, or at least give them the confidence to try something they weren't sure they were comfortable with. PLEASE let me know if you have any questions. I will always do my best to help you out. PM me if needed.

Good Luck!!

OH and as promised, PRINT THESE OUT!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Awesome diy with great pictures. Pinout is priceless. Another thing to add to my mod list this summer. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I take it there is additional steps to make the outside temp. gauge work properly too? Have you dug into that? ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF your car was equipped with an ambient air temperature sensor (which I believe started in 07) then you will have the wires to plug into the clock/hazard/fog harness..

If not, then it looks like you're going to have to buy the sensor, mount it, and run some wires through the engine bay to the dash. But at least now you know where to plug them in!!

That's one of the next things I'm looking to do., so if there's room in my original post, I will include it. =)

(and hopefully take pictures along the way!!!)

Thank you for the kind words everyone!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi my friend, first of all thank you for this helpful guide and thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I just order a complete 07 fascia.
I have a question: do you think that this guide will work for me? I ask this question because my a/c control is a bit different... actually my controls (the originally 04 and the new one that I bought 07) not have the "OFF scale" at the top but the blower switch have the 0 scale that stops the air. I'am adding some pictures of both controls.

PS.: so sorry for my bad English :(

Both of the fascias are from European car...

So what did you think, what is your suggestion my friend. Please help me :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't even know they had an 07-08 model that had an OFF selection on the blower. I'd prefer that!!

As for the new 07 fascia you purchased, I cant honestly say if I think it will work or not, because I cant find a wiring diagram for the European version of the new 07 controls that you bought.

If the new one comes with the wiring harness it will make it a lot easier for me to tell you if I think it will work or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didn't even know they had an 07-08 model that had an OFF selection on the blower. I'd prefer that!!

As for the new 07 fascia you purchased, I cant honestly say if I think it will work or not, because I cant find a wiring diagram for the European version of the new 07 controls that you bought.

If the new one comes with the wiring harness it will make it a lot easier for me to tell you if I think it will work or not.
No unfortunately it will come without wiring harness but the blower must have 5 pins and not 6 pins. I googled for a long time but can't find the schematic or electrical troubleshooting manual or something like this for the 07-08 model.

If someone reading this post and own 07-08 tiburon with "0 scale" blower (European model), maybe can hep us about the color of harness...

When I'll receive the fascia how must I'll try to connect the harness ? Is it possible to replace the new ones blower (only the blower) with the old one? So the 6 pin harness will not need changes... :|

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No unfortunately it will come without wiring harness but the blower must have 5 pins and not 6 pins. I googled for a long time but can't find the schematic or electrical troubleshooting manual or something like this for the 07-08 model.

If someone reading this post and own 07-08 tiburon with "0 scale" blower (European model), maybe can hep us about the color of harness...

When I'll receive the fascia how must I'll try to connect the harness ? Is it possible to replace the new ones blower (only the blower) with the old one? So the 6 pin harness will not need changes... :|
No, the 03-06 blower control wont physically fit in the 07-08 fascia... You're going to at least need the wiring harness for the 07-08 emergency flashers/clock/fog etc... The 2003 wiring harness wont fit at all.

You'll have to experiment with the wiring configuration.

I'd personally start out with following my DIY for everything and seeing if it works. If it doesn't, then start experimenting with the configuration of the wire that goes to "blower off"

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, the 03-06 blower control wont physically fit in the 07-08 fascia... You're going to at least need the wiring harness for the 07-08 emergency flashers/clock/fog etc... The 2003 wiring harness wont fit at all.

I'd personally start out with following my DIY for everything and seeing if it works. If it doesn't, then start experimenting with the configuration of the wire that goes to "blower off"
I found harness for the clock from ebay, but not for the climate controls... anyway I'll follow you your guide and then if something goes wrong I'll write here...
Again thank you for sharing your knowledge with us...

·
Registered
16 Posts

It didn't worked for me, the AC lamp is always on but the ac compressor not starts. Also I burned the Q12 transistor when I trying to desolder, now I must find a new resistor. Do you know the type or the name of the resistor ?

·
Super Moderator
8,684 Posts
It didn't worked for me, the AC lamp is always on but the ac compressor not starts. Also I burned the Q12 transistor when I trying to desolder, now I must find a new resistor. Do you know the type or the name of the resistor ?
If the pressure is low in the AC system, it won't allow the compressor to come on. So, you may have 2 issues.

As to "Q12", can't you read the numbers off it? If so, then search for it. I use Newark Electronics or Digikey for electronic parts. You can use them for a part search.
You would have to find a close vendor as international shipping would be expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the pressure is low in the AC system, it won't allow the compressor to come on. So, you may have 2 issues.

As to "Q12", can't you read the numbers off it? If so, then search for it. I use Newark Electronics or Digikey for electronic parts. You can use them for a part search.
You would have to find a close vendor as international shipping would be expensive.
Here is how its look like

Before I try this guide I followed this one http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/diy-interior/235313-hvac-swap-03-06-07-08-a.html
but the a/c didn't start and the a/c lamp was always off, then I tried this guide and then the A/C lamp is on but actually the compressor did not start and it was not possible to turn off the A/C button (led). Then I desolder the wire and tried the first guide again but noticed that the A/C lam is always on (It was not in the first try) but its not bright normal its dimmer and its look like flickering, when I press the button its been more bright but the compressor did not start. I asked for help from 2-3 electrician they test it with multi meter and they said maybe its working, but as I said when I connect it like the first guide again, the A/C lamp is always on (It was not in the first try) but not bright normal...

When I put my old fascia its working perfect

here is the connects from the new

and here is how its look like the transistor now

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I'm stuck after finishing the 6 pin connector,23 pin and relay. Pin 16. In your pics it's empty but on mine I have a orange with black stripe wire. When I put in off position it goes to defroster but other settings seem fine. Please help.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you can, send me a pic of your 6 and 23 pin connectors.
It looks like the Orange/Black wire goes straight to pin#23

Im tellin you, watch Judge Judy... Totally helps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts