Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone post a DIY on how to change sparks on a 06 gt? What plugs should a get and what tools are needed? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Alright I don't have a diy but I can tell you how to.... lol...
You have to remove the air intake manifold. The last three are under that.

I think they are 5/8's you will need a ratchet and extension and a spark plug gapper...

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
there is a DIY to remove the upper IM... from there it should be pretty intuitive.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I godda remove the manifold and I'm not looking forward to it lol! I was just wondering if there was a step by step out there. Thanks dude!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey! Thats jsut what I wanted! Thanks so much guys for helping me out! I'm gonna go ahead and get my lower and upper intake manifold powder coated while there off! Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
you only need to remove the upper for the plugs, but yes, to coat the lower that needs to come off too. haha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man. Damn the Koreans and their intake manifolds! :p Srsly, this is a retarded amount of effort for simply changing my plugs, man. I've never felt like going to a mechanic for a spark plug change before, but I'd rather he do it for 10 bucks that have to spend hours wrestling with this thing (I SUCK at doing this kind of thing fast, lol).

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Man. Damn the Koreans and their intake manifolds! :p Srsly, this is a retarded amount of effort for simply changing my plugs, man. I've never felt like going to a mechanic for a spark plug change before, but I'd rather he do it for 10 bucks that have to spend hours wrestling with this thing (I SUCK at doing this kind of thing fast, lol).
where are finding a mechanic that will change spark plugs for 10 bucks? i bet it would be closer to 150

Reactions: 08TiburonSE

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
lol $10 bucks it will cost more to walk thru the door of a shop, it's not hard at all to change the plugs 20 -25 minutes tops

·
Registered
61 Posts
so all i have to do is take off the top IM and then i can get to my spark plugs that are under it and put back the manifold with out worrying about taking off anything else?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was able to do my plugs in under a hour. you don't need to totally remove the IM to get at all the plugs. just loosen the bolts and leave the TB and all of it's attachments in place and just move it around. It really was pretty easy. just make sure you have new gaskets. and if you are using one of those intake spacers use a gasket on either side. Just make sure you have the gaskets. the spacers usually will never hold a seal.

·
Registered
820 Posts
its easy dont sweat it just make sure to put gasket on set manifold back and knock it into place really well while tightening each bolt slowly and rotate to get it to fit even and snug_ easy to break these bolts esp. on top (hand tools def!!!) no impacts or anything (just stating)
cause if this doesnt go on tight then u gotta undo it and get it all back straight in order to crank her up. trust me the bolt on passenger side back kept the manifold up a little when i did mine and it kept killing the engine when i started it so i gave it gas and heard a gun shot like sound and new ))))) i was a fvcking idiot lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
I replaced my own and I am no mechanic. Just try to remember the order you take things off. It's really not that bad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
3/8" Rachet
Extension for said rachet(i have/use 6 inch extension)
10mm socket
12mm socket
5/8" sparkplug socket

1. Remove top plastic(hint: Pop off the silver inserts and H sign to get to the other screws)
2. Remove intake hose between MAF sensor and throttle body
3. Remove Throttle body(DIY already posted)
4. Remove upper intake mainfold(DIY already posted)

Removing spark plugs(not trying to insult your intelligence, but you did ask for a DIY)

Measure and gap all your plugs. I do .044 i believe

1. Pull black boot off of spark plug and out of the plug well
2. Use 5/8" plug socket, extension, and ratchet to remove the spark plug(lefty loosey)
3. Press new spark plug into plug socket, using the extension carefully lower the new plug into position and use your hands NOT the ratchet to get the plug started in its threads. You do this because you don't want to cross thread it. If it doesn't go in relatively easy for the first few turns remove and try again.(righty tighty)
4. Use the ratchet to snug up(i don't use a torque wrench...meh....
5. replace spark plug boot onto spark plug

EDIT: I re-use the throttle body and intake gasket...never had a problem.

EDIT TWO: Just realized how old this thread is....wow, reviving the dead here folks

·
Administrator
9,007 Posts
How many spark plugs do our Tiburons use? Do V6 engines take 6 spark plugs?
In probably 99.9% of engines, it's one spark plug per cylinder, thus a Tib V6 has 6 cylinders and 6 plugs.

I do know of a fairly recent Jeep V8 with 2 plugs per cylinder, thus a total of 16 plugs. Oh, and they can be a PITA to change.

Reactions: 08TiburonSE
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.