Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NA v6 with intake+exhaust+headers coming soon, and I was curious about some home tuning solutions. I'm a cheap DIY kinda guy, and my car came with a performance chip, but those seem pretty sketchy. Does anyone have good recommendations for cheap DIY ecu tuning?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
455 Posts
Performance chips are snake oil. Nothing to them but a resistor and blinking light. If you link us to the make and model of that chip we'll identify whether it's anything serious.

Naturally aspirated with I/H/E will net you about 190WHP tops without a tune. You may be able to break the 200WHP barrier with a tune... but the DIY tuning options are severely limited and most tuning shops will turn you away unless you have a standalone ECM. I sent you a private message about some DIY tuning details.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Performance chips are snake oil. Nothing to them but a resistor and blinking light. If you link us to the make and model of that chip we'll identify whether it's anything serious.

Naturally aspirated with I/H/E will net you about 190WHP tops without a tune. You may be able to break the 200WHP barrier with a tune... but the DIY tuning options are severely limited and most tuning shops will turn you away unless you have a standalone ECM. I sent you a private message about some DIY tuning details.
I feel the same way about performance chips, but am also way too cheap to get a standalone ECU. I've been looking around like crazy, but I can't really find any tunes online, but I'm also nowhere near qualified to try and program my own.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If you're not going to do a standalone ECU it's pretty much not going to happen. Nobody has the tools to tune these ECUs. Back in the day people would ship them off to Korea to get a tune done. Not sure if that can even be done anymore.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
455 Posts
If you're not going to do a standalone ECU it's pretty much not going to happen. Nobody has the tools to tune these ECUs. Back in the day people would ship them off to Korea to get a tune done. Not sure if that can even be done anymore.
Tuning can be done on the OEM ECM without the Koreans... it's just not easy and nobody has a definition file they're willing to share. The Koreans especially don't want to share their knowledge with anybody from the USA. However, I have found and defined the fuel, ignition, idle speed and rev limiter maps... that's hardly enough to do a proper tune but it's a start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts