Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if different kinds of filters matter? like one from autozone or a knn or somthing? just wondering if theres a difference? on a cold air intake? just let me know n what kind i should look into
thanks!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
its a filter... i run one from PepBoys that is some knockoff called Mega Air ($20) or something like that and its works the same as the AEM that came with my intake and K&N that i have used before. Same amount of cleaning required, same noise is made so w/e. This is just like asking which intake or exhaust is better because everyone will say what they have is best and then some say dry betters vs oil and such

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
HKS For The WIN !!!

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
It's up to you how much difference it makes.

Consider the nature of a filter. It should "filter" out as much crap from the air as possible, while allowing the maximum amount of air to flow. A non-quality product will probably do the job but not as well or as consistently, with a shorter life-span, due to inferior products.

If you take care of your filter and recharge it every six months, there's no real need to replace it for quite awhile.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
what filters are you talking about? i assume air filters because of your CAI mention,

In short, paper filters are all the same, and the K&N style high-flow ones are basically all the same too,.

K&N's flow more than paper ones, but do let more dirt thru. You dont have to change them, only clean them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would not only consider how they "feel" and sound but rather how good they filter the air they let through. cuz you get what you pay for... and what you pay for is the thing that lets or lets not the dirt particles in your engine...

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
K&N all the way

·
Registered
914 Posts
dry paper for the win!!!
i have read many instances of the oiled K&N gunking up the MAF. more so on an SRI.
I htink if you have a sri you may not want oiled filter.
i use the mugen/apexi dry filter not the power the one from the xchange system.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
i have read many instances of the oiled K&N gunking up the MAF. more so on an SRI.
I htink if you have a sri you may not want oiled filter.
K&N FTW!
28K+ miles on an Injen SRI with a K&N and zero MAF problems.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Does the filter matter? Well, does protecting your engine matter? Yes you can use any knockoff brand or whatever and you will probably see the same performance, but over time it's probably letting in a lot more dirt. That dirt is going to cause problems with your engine through the long haul, so personally I wouldn't trust a no-name brand.

Same with an oil filter, for example. You want something that's going to protect your engine.

·
pass dat....
4,358 Posts
Always go with a name brand filter. After all that is the first thing the air passes through before it enters your engine.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i got no filter lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts