Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2004 hyundai elantra 2.0 beta2. So when i have my car running And i disconnect my MAF while running and keeps running the same does that mean its a bad MAF? Shouldnt it get a rough idle?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You definitely need a MAF, but it idling fine isn't that surprising. The main point of a MAF is to predict changes in the amount of air entering the engine. At idle you're probably seeing a constant amount, but if you tried driving around like that it wouldn't end well. If it is running fine with no codes, why mess with it, anyways?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You definitely need a MAF, but it idling fine isn't that surprising. The main point of a MAF is to predict changes in the amount of air entering the engine. At idle you're probably seeing a constant amount, but if you tried driving around like that it wouldn't end well. If it is running fine with no codes, why mess with it, anyways?
I was messing with it because i would get a pending code p1166, just a pending code. when i would drive after a while. Like enter the freeway i press the gas pedal all they way, rpms will go up but the car wouldnt accelerate as if its boggin out thos doesnt happen right away.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Usually when the MAF sensor gets crappy you'll see P0171/P0174. I guess P1166 could be caused by a bad MAF but I think a vacuum/exhaust leak or an 02 sensor issue is also likely. Either way it's definitely worth getting a can of MAF cleaner and seeing if it helps. Even if that isn't the source of the problem our MAF sensors are kinda crap, the last thing they need is dirt making them even less accurate.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Usually when the MAF sensor gets crappy you'll see P0171/P0174. I guess P1166 could be caused by a bad MAF but I think a vacuum/exhaust leak or an 02 sensor issue is also likely. Either way it's definitely worth getting a can of MAF cleaner and seeing if it helps. Even if that isn't the source of the problem our MAF sensors are kinda crap, the last thing they need is dirt making them even less accurate.
Yeah so i did remove it and cleaned with a proper MAF cleaner and would that be bank1 sensor1 oxygen sensor? Maybe not functioning right? As of now it has gotten no codes and its been driving fine. But i was concern when removing maf connection would that be making the car idle rough or maybe die because it it idle normal.

Do you have any modifications on your car? How many miles?
I just have lightweight PS & water pump pulleys and short ram intake. And the motor should have around 130,000 miles, car has 245,000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts