Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was hit on the passenger side which pushed in the door and broke the handle. The door handle was replaced and the body work was done but the handle doesn’t retract when you open from the outside. I haven’t ruled out a defective door handle as I know it has a spring but I’m doubtful as it’s new. When looking in the door the large rod connected to the handle does appear to have a small bend in it but not sure if it’s normal. Anyone have any expertise as I’m hoping I don’t have to replace the whole actuator and maybe just the rod or even another new handle.
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The bend looks fairly normal to me. I could be wrong but is there a piece of sheet metal to the far right in your second pic that's bent out of place and catching on the rod assembly? Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, I know there's not much room up in there.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bend looks fairly normal to me. I could be wrong but is there a piece of sheet metal to the far right in your second pic that's bent out of place and catching on the rod assembly? Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, I know there's not much room up in there.
Here?
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

I’ll have to check that. If it’s not that I feel it has to be whatever the bottom of the rod is attached to as I’m assuming that is what is responsible for pulling the rod back down which would pull the handle in correctly. It wouldn’t be the spring on the handle that is responsible for pushing the rod down.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yes, where you circled. Seems like it's supposed to be in line with the metal behind it but has been pulled out.

The rod is attached to the door actuator and actually goes down when you pull the handle out. It just kind of "pops" a button inside the actuator to release the clasp. I believe the spring in the handle IS responsible for pulling it back up.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, where you circled. Seems like it's supposed to be in line with the metal behind it but has been pulled out.

The rod is attached to the door actuator and actually goes down when you pull the handle out. It just kind of "pops" a button inside the actuator to release the clasp. I believe the spring in the handle IS responsible for pulling it back up.
Ok I’ll check that spot for rubbing and pull the handle out and check the spring situation. I’m hoping there isn’t something going on with the actuator which is restricting the spring from pulling the rod back up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could always try and losing up the bolts that hold they door handle tight, try the door handle and see if it works better if so then something is binding and not letting it work correctly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts