Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2.7L V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I have had a look at the pages (and pages) of issues regarding the door locks however could not locate an issue quite similar to mine.

My 2004 Tiburon does not have the central locking turned on as after doing so (& allowing car to sit overnight): it stops working, causes my car alarm to go off after I use the key to enter the car followed by the car refusing to start.
But that is a problem for another time..

Instead, I use the key in the door lock(s) to lock and unlock the car.
However, I have a problem with the lock on the driver side door refusing to lock.
It will unlock externally from the driver side, however refuse to lock. The key will not move to the right (to lock) and feels like the mechanism is stuck. The internal door lock will also not move with force.

HOWEVER, both sides will lock and unlock with ease from the passenger side (using both the external lock as well as moving the internal door lock). Doing so from the passenger side will unlock the driver side with ease as well as freely turns the internal lock on the driver side that refuses to move otherwise. I can hear a sound from the driver side however when door is forced to lock via passenger side.
Also, when the car is locked via the passenger side and I go to the driver side, the key will freely turn right - into the lock position - however as mentioned above, it feels like it is stuck when I try locking when the car is unlocked.

This occurs intermittently so I will go through periods where there is no problem locking via driver side door and it seems like this only occurs after there has been heavy rain. Very recently, I had to replace my window motor in the drivers side and noticed that the waterproof sheet had been torn prior to this so could this be allowing the water to enter?

Now my question is whether it sounds likely that this is being caused due to water entering into the internal door panel? And if so, what mechanism would the water be affecting as it does not sound like it is the actuator from what I have read due to the door still unlocking/locking, just from the passenger side.

Any help, experience or insight very appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
Almost sounds like the lock itself. Get some graphite or LockEze and lube the lock from the outside.

·
Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0
191 Posts
That sounds very strange. Only thing I can think of is that the whole lock unit is seizing. The actuator and lock unit is all one unit. I just did my passenger side and it’s not very hard to do. The part was ~ $35 on eBay genuine Hyundai part. My advice would be to just replace it.

As for the rain thing, I’m not sure what’s going on there. Maybe water is getting down into your wiring and causing your actuator to screw with the lock. Do you have a sunroof? They are prone to leaking and can cause big problems if you don’t fix it. It’s a cheap and easy fix, unfortunately you have to take out all of the interior trim to do it which takes hours. It’s well worth the work for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2.7L V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does seem very likely that it is the lock itself.
I will try and lubricate the lock from the outside however as mentioned above, the lock does turn towards the locking direction when the car is locked.
As the actuator and lock unit is all one unit, I may have to look into replacing the entire mechanism. It's just strange as the problem does come and go.

Car does have a sunroof and I have heard they are prone to leaking however there does not seem to be any leaks from the sunroof, it seems as if the water is in fact getting down into the wiring and affecting the actuator/lock. I may have to try and inspect this prior to replacing the actuator to confirm whether this is the cause.

Thanks for the information provided!

·
Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0
191 Posts
Yeah, if your just a little bit mechanically inclined, you can do the lock actuator/mechanism pretty easily. You may have trouble getting the screws out that hold the whole assembly to the door. I had to use an impact driver to get them out. It’s a useful tool (I would have stripped them trying to hand torque them out).

Also, if your sunroof is leaking like most Tiburons do, you won’t see it. It will leak behind your interior trim and down to your wiring. And you won’t see anything in your door where the lock is either. It is either running down the A, B, or C pillar. My guess for you it’s atleast running down the A pillar because that’s where the door wiring goes to.

It’s also possible you have a non sunroof related leak getting into your door or something. I don’t want to rule that out, but it’s not a common Tiburon issue to my knowledge.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts