Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Driveshaft access?

402 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hollabackgirl 
#1 ·
Is it possible to access the driveshft in an auto tib? Second, now this is going to sound stupid / really stupid, but would it be possible and/or dangerous to piggy-back it's turning power for a turbo? It's where all of our torque comes from right? I was thinking less torque, more horsepower... :3_confuse

#5 ·
I think you usually you would want it to be pretty even... you need to torque to get you going in the first place. i wouldnt mess with that...

#6 ·
The Tib (and all FWD cars) doesn't have a driveshaft. It has 2 half-shafts. The setup you are thinking about isn't a great idea because the half-shafts have to move up and down with the suspension so it wouldn't work. Also, they aren't spinning fast enough for a turbo and in reality, by definition, a turbo is exhaust driver. This would be a centrifugal supercharger. That still wouldn't work because the half-shafts spin at vehicle speed, not engine speed.

#7 · (Edited)
MAKING A NEW THREAD.....

I didn't know that about the half shafts. Good point about the vehicle speed. I did kind of visulized the centrifugal supercharger after I drew out the ms paint mockup. I was thinking about a boost chamber however that wouldn't need alot of speed to charge. Simply enough physical force to create a vacuum. here is another diagram. LOL

Basically, Air comes in through either a secondary or oversized Air Intake.
In phase 1 of the pressure system the air sac is pulled open via something like the driveshaft (equiped with a release when phase 2 kicks in).

Phase 1.5 air continues past the pressure system like normal.

Phase 2 the pressure system slow releases the compressed air directly in to the engine intake.

Phase 2.5 the secondary pressure system repeats same actions as Phase 1 and 1.5.

Phase 3 secondary pressure system release it's charge while primary pressure system restarts cycle.

(I know it sounds crazy but it kind of make sense doen't it?)

#8 ·
You still have to take into account the fact that the half-shafts move up and down with the suspension. How will you keep a belt tensioned between a stationary supercharger and a moving suspension?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.