Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I finally got my car fixed and in the little bit of driving I have done I noticed the clutch is VERY light and grabs almost immediately making it really hard to drive in stop and go traffic does this get better once the clutch is broken in?

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
Not much better. lol Just let the person in front of you get ahead a ways then go... try not to smash into them. lol Remember, it's actually bad for a Stage 4 to be babied...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much better. lol Just let the person in front of you get ahead a ways then go... try not to smash into them. lol Remember, it's actually bad for a Stage 4 to be babied...
lol i didnt know that im glad you told me. Does that also apply to the break in time or should i baby it then?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
lol i didnt know that im glad you told me. Does that also apply to the break in time or should i baby it then?

It is very bad to slip the more aggressive clutches in order to get a smooth start. During the break-in, just don't go around dumping the clutch, and you'll be fine.

I know my old stage 3 was grabby. I can't even imagine what the new stage 4 is gonna be like.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Great. Everyone said I needed the stage 4 for my setup, and it was stiffer, but not a big difference between it and the stage 1as afr as shifting. I was hoping there'd be some cushion in there with the 6 puck sprung so I'm not putting constant impact on the trx during normal driving.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great. Everyone said I needed the stage 4 for my setup, and it was stiffer, but not a big difference between it and the stage 1as afr as shifting. I was hoping there'd be some cushion in there with the 6 puck sprung so I'm not putting constant impact on the trx during normal driving.
I dont know what the stage 1 is like but this thing is a ***** to drive ive stalled it out like 5 times (i havnt stalled a car out in like 8 years) and if im not stalling out im burning out. I still havnt figured out a good way to get going. I thought i was a good driver but i guess not lol

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
I've had mine for about a year... once you come to terms with it being an on/off clutch and adjust your driving style accordingly it's not so bad. It's not very practical for stop and go traffic, but it's great when you're having fun. lol

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I dont know what the stage 1 is like but this thing is a ***** to drive ive stalled it out like 5 times (i havnt stalled a car out in like 8 years) and if im not stalling out im burning out. I still havnt figured out a good way to get going. I thought i was a good driver but i guess not lol

OMG, what have I done?
:bigDuhard

·
Registered
464 Posts
LMAO dude...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
A buddy of mine put a 3 puck solid center disk into his tibby with the stock flywheel (99 or 01 tibby) and it was absolutely brutal when he first started breaking it in. he said he had to rev it, pop it, then put the clutch in, then rev it, pop it, clutch in rev it pop it just to get moving. reguardless its worn in now and it still bite's like a freakin beast. I got a chance to drive it and it's really not that much worse than a stocker now. perhaps it's the lightweight flywheel that's causing most of the driviability issues???

·
Banned
642 Posts
LOL, i got a question for you, Have you tried to feather your clutch yet ? if so did it feel like the front of your car was going to rip off or shake off ?

Also i rev my car to like 1800 rpm and let it slide in quick and it feel alot better. I have a stage 4 solid disc which is the most aggressive. :)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Ok I finally got my car fixed and in the little bit of driving I have done I noticed the clutch is VERY light and grabs almost immediately making it really hard to drive in stop and go traffic does this get better once the clutch is broken in?
Did you get the 4 or 6 puck, and sprung or unsprung. Cause if you have the 6 puck sprung, I gotta' go beat my head through some drywall for a coping mechanism.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hope you have a seriously aggressive engine that justifies the set-up... if you replaced the stock clutch with some insane stage 4 just because you were angry the stocker sucked... you are crazy!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I hope you have a seriously aggressive engine that justifies the set-up... if you replaced the stock clutch with some insane stage 4 just because you were angry the stocker sucked... you are crazy!
ME? I'm at 251whp, and thinking about adding a 6.5 and alky. Nextgen and Ultrarev both recommended I get a stage 4.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Sorry officer, I know I burned out 5 times getting through the intersection, but it's not my fault. It's my new $1,000 clutch & flyweel setup. It's either hauls @ss, or sits still".

LOL. Ya i tried to drive quints car right before the north west toy run and i think hes got a CM stage 4 clutch and well i was trying to back his up next to mine and about 5 stalls later i did it. I am planning on getting my stage 4 and fidanza flywheel next, Hopfully i wont look like to big of a newbie when i get it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you get the 4 or 6 puck, and sprung or unsprung. Cause if you have the 6 puck sprung, I gotta' go beat my head through some drywall for a coping mechanism.
I'm going to finish mine up tomorrow I've got the trx and sub-frame and wheels back on. Got about 3 hours of work left tomorrow, and I'm gonna fire it up. If it's a bad as you say, I'm really dreading it.
Im getting used to it now it does take a while thought the best way to do it as posted above is rev to about 1800/2000 then let the clutch out. It still sends you off the line fast but you wont burn out or stall

1 - 20 of 37 Posts