Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
NewTiburon.com Legend
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started off with a dual airhorn from autozone ($29.00), a free afternoon, and my hatred of the stock horns.
Tools:
Needle nose pliers
Socket wrench and sockets (11mm-14mm)
14 or 16 gauge wire
Splicing device (optional)
Electrical tape
Drill or dremel.
First pop the hood and disconnect the two horns behind the grill and beside the headlights. (I have my grill removed at all times so it was easier for me.)

Take off the top bolt holding the horn and bracket onto the frame and turn the horn over.

Disconnect the smaller bolt holding the horn to the bracket and set the bracket, nut, and locking washer aside. Do this to both horns.

^^^Drill a third hole in one stock horn bracket (in the middle) large enough for one of the screws to be slotted into it. Once this is done connect the brackets in an upside down T using the center hole that was just created.
Set the horns side by side with the old bracket from one of the stock horns laying across the two, use the mounting hardware supplied and the locking washers from the stock horns to hook both horns to the bracket. the two horns should be hanging down with the one bracket sticking straight into the air. reconnect to the frame using the stock (black) bolt.

Now take the wiring for the stock horn, and strip back the tape and the plastic cover so you can see a red and black wire.

Splice into the red and black wires (I used T taps that you can buy at autozone) and run enough wire to your compressor.

I mounted mine in front of the battery. there is an empty threaded whole (which convineintly fits the other top black bolt from the stock horn bracket.

To do so, take the given silver bracket....

(you must drill or dremel out the holes to fit the larger bolts.)
Attach the bracket to the compressor first

then attach to the open hole infront of the battery. Attach your power and ground wires before you bolt it down.

now cut the clear tube give and connect from the compressor to the Y adapter, and then to each horn. Use as little tubing as needed, this will make your horns work more efficiently and quicker.

Test your horn and enjoy! I put some electrical tape over both of the now useless stock horn hookups and ziptied them inside the frame so the would be out of the way.
This will only work for the dual air horn setup. The instructions say to mount the compressor upright but mine works on its side.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: Dual Airhorn DIY

It gets attention. Much better than the stock horns. (Yay my first DIY! That's my thumb in the compressor pic, I'm famous....)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

sound clip!

·
Registered
479 Posts

sound
^^Go to this website and click on Products, then click on the little picture of a car in the bottom left hand corner, click on the "GP/GPA Series" and it is the first one. It gives sounds for all of their horns....enjoy!

·
Registered
479 Posts

I love the horns personally, might be a matter of taste, pm me if there are any questions but I think it's pretty straight forward. It was the only install I've done so far were I didn't end up bleeding!

·
Registered
336 Posts

yeah train horns FTW, are those illegal? id get them if i had the cash to spend...but if i use it in traffic, and a cop is around, would i get a ticket?

·
Registered
479 Posts

No clue on if they are legal or not. I'm no cop....haha

·
Banned
5,790 Posts

lol i gotta do this. i just dont have room there b/c of my icebox...id have to do it elsewhere

·
Registered
479 Posts

Mines Better, how bout under the passenger side healight, or on the other side of the grill, there has got to be some place. It just shouldn't be too close to something really hot. I just found this was an easy place to mount everything in close proximity to eachother.

·
Banned
5,790 Posts

im sure i could find somewhere if i had to...under the passenger headlight wouldnt work b/c of the tranny cooler....and where urs is wouldnt bc of the icebox...lol.

i'll figure somethin out...gotta buy the horns n stuff first tho :)

·
Banned
5,790 Posts

YellowTuscRcr said:
on your roof :D
HOOOONK HOOOOOOOOOOOONK

·
Registered
479 Posts

Best of luck. its a sweet mod. haha, I see it peeking out at me everytime I go to drive my tib.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

you guys will have a blast with your air horns. Half the time when you use them around other cars no one can figure out where it came from since they would never suspect it out of a import, lol.

·
Banned
5,790 Posts

bwahahahahahahahahhahahaha

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

MrPhotoman said:
you guys will have a blast with your air horns. Half the time when you use them around other cars no one can figure out where it came from since they would never suspect it out of a import, lol.
what horns did you buy for yours again? they were electric with no extra compressor correct?

Also is there a way to wire this up to another switch, because I'd like to keep my stock horn too. As it is I have the XG horn.

I always laugh at this

1 - 20 of 61 Posts