Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 months ago i picked up my tiburon with no brakes (rotted rear lines), seized rotors/calipers, Snapped E-Brake Cables on both sides and tons and tons of rust. Since then all parts have been replaced and installed without hoist. I ran the car for about 3 weeks without E-Brake cables (its a 4spd so parking wasn’t an issue) but once ordered, i made sure they were the exact cables needed for the car. I even measured the length along side the old cables and they matched. I thought it would be a no brainer, hook them up to the calipers, route them back as the oem once were, feed them through the two holes to meet with the equalizer and plop them into there selected hole. Once lined up, they were so tight and unable to budge a bit and by a hair wouldn’t set in the caliper, brackets installed and everything.....long story short after vigorous effort i got all cables hooked up in calipers and equalizer...BUT the driver side grips like a mf’er and the passenger side engages but spins freely...ALSO this is with the e brake cranked up about 7 clicks. Car doesnt move in idle, tap the gas and she moves no problem.....the equalizer is pulling severely to the driver side and the passenger side has so much play but the equalizer will not move, nor is there any play on the driver side. Ive tightened the equalizer and tried adjusting still no luck....Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
With the rear jacked up, E-brake off, have a helper SLOWLY press the brake pedal while yo spin each rear wheel.
Do they stop turning at about the same time? They should.....
Of not, adjust them so same brake pedal movement makes each stop at same time...
Then check how the E-brake works.....gotta get the brakes working evenly first though...

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
Most GK Tibs have integrated rear brakes with E-brake....thus, if a brake issue, there WILL be an E-brake issue....get brakes sorted before, then adjust E-brake as needed.
For 2004's, there was a mid year design change for E-brake cable to caliper arm....check which design you have (rectangular punched flat plate or barrel end.....yes, you can swap arms on the caliper to match cable....don't ask how I know....LOL....).
I did info in another thread...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts