Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my question is, what would it take to convert our cars to handle E85? There is an abundance of this here and Colorado and they are planning to have all gas station to carry it, and im am trying to find out what would have to be done to handle this type of fuel.

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I thought that was something that was already "built-in" a car when you buy it ?
E85 is that gas that's made from vegetable oil right ?
I wouldn't think you could "convert" a car to that type of fuel just yet.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
ViolentB said:
I thought that was something that was already "built-in" a car when you buy it ?
E85 is that gas that's made from vegetable oil right ?
I wouldn't think you could "convert" a car to that type of fuel just yet.
I am pretty sure your right, because it is illegal to change the engine to handle different fuels, and can be subject to penalties.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/conversion.php

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ethanol from cellulose costs around 5$ a US gallon in 2001, it is now around 1.50 to 2.50$ a us gallon now. New break throughts tin the past month have made it possible to lower prices to almost 80-90 cents within the next year. The laws are subject to change very soon too, regarding propane and ethanol.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bryce said:
Ethanol from cellulose costs around 5$ a US gallon in 2001, it is now around 1.50 to 2.50$ a us gallon now. New break throughts tin the past month have made it possible to lower prices to almost 80-90 cents within the next year. The laws are subject to change very soon too, regarding propane and ethanol.
What laws?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bryce said:
The government(US) is adopting new rules and regulations to allow convcersion kits, cars, etc. to be made.
Those laws... does ethenol really eat through rubber?

Now i was talking to someone and they said that you would need to go with 35% bigger injectors and a piggy back system to control what you need to change. of course the timing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts