1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
435 Posts
These are mostlikely the same size as oem unlike the stoptechs that are slightly larger when it comes to brakes i personaly wouldnt buy them just save up 100 more and buy the namebrand i have the stoptechs and there rated to over 6k psi these give no specs on burst pressure and the last thing you want when having to slam the brakes on in a emergency is the lines to explode

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response sewertib. I totally get your point on not cheaping out on something as important as brake lines. And thanks for the feedback on stoptechs. I know they are a well known name brand but is good to actually hear/read feedback from an actual person and better with the same car model.

I'm just looking at other options other than stoptech's not only to save $100 but to maybe stumble upon or try a brand that also offers a good product at a cheaper cost. So far I've seen Goodrich and Techna-Fit but still researching. At the end we all know that we are not paying 150$ worth of material. I'm currently on the original rubber lines that are aprox 8 years old. No trouble so far.

btw... stay away from those magnums SS lines. I found this on an Acura Forum (the post is from 2008 ):
couple months ago I purchase Magnum stainless steel brake lines on ebay from seller 'gforcebrakes.' I installed them about 2-3 weeks ago. They were installed properly. I test drove the car around the block and my foot went to the floor when braking. These lines were leaking fluid real bad from before the hose connection with the piece that connects to the caliper. They were also leaking from the top where they connect to the brake system. This could have been a MAJOR problem if I hadn't tested them at low speed before taking them out on the road. The two rear ones left a trail of fluid behind the car. The front passenger side was ok but still leaking slightly and the driverside front was the only good one. I ended up taking them all back off and putting on the stock ones. A painful and annoying process as you know if you've done it yourself.

I contacted seller 'gforcebrakes' about these lines and the seller continues to ignore my emails. The only email they sent me was one saying that these lines have a two year warranty against defects. That is all well and good but there is no way I will get a warranty replacement for these because the problems I had ith these. This deals directly with my life and the safety of my passengers. All I want is my money back and the seller refuses to talk to me. I will pursue this further with the manufacturer.

I wanted you guys/gals to know about this so you will beware if purchasing from this ebay vendor and or manufacturer MAGNUM.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
SS brake lines are made from a Teflon inner pressure tube with a SS protective braid on the outside.

A hydraulic line generally needs to be rated at >1.5x the working pressure, so pretty much any small diameter Teflon tube will be able to handle the <2k psi in the system easily.

I think it really comes down to the quality of the parts and assembly. I doubt you would notice any performance difference over these generics vs say StopTechs.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what I'm thinking... a bad assembly process = bad line and mayhem as stated on the review from the Acura guy...

I just called a local shop that makes hydraulic hoses (where I got my power steering hose rebuilt) and they don't do brake lines unfortunately...

I've been looking around and the goodrichs and technafits are only for 1998 -2001 Tiburons... (don't know if the GKs share brake lines with RDs). Not looking good for alternatives other than StopTech.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Just save up and get the StopTechs. It's worth the investment.

There's 2 things you don't cheap out on - tires, and brakes. Both are incredibly vital.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Let me search my computer later today I had some links to actual goodrichs but the price was like 40 bucks more per set came out to around 245 after shipping and that's more than my hawk pads cost me

·
Registered
373 Posts
It took me a while to find the Goodrich ones for a later tib, but I eventually did from some Hong Kong based ebay seller.

Install went great, except the locator mount thingy on the rear ones were too wide, so I had to Dremel them down a bit so they would fit. No problems since though.

I did mine at the same time I upgraded to larger front brakes, so the install wasn't too bad really. took about 4 hours to do all 4 wheels, including doing the brake upgrade.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It took me a while to find the Goodrich ones for a later tib, but I eventually did from some Hong Kong based ebay seller.

Install went great, except the locator mount thingy on the rear ones were too wide, so I had to Dremel them down a bit so they would fit. No problems since though.

I did mine at the same time I upgraded to larger front brakes, so the install wasn't too bad really. feel about 4 hours to do all 4 wheels, including doing the brake upgrade.
That's is what I've been wanting to do. Upgrade the front brakes to Santa Fe's dual piston calipers/ 11.6" rotors (I think they are the same size as the XG350's unless the XG350's are +12") and while at that upgrade brake lines.

EDIT: Something like this? Still doesn't say for what year of Tiburons... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goodridge-Brake-Line-Kit-Hyundai-Tiburon-/270686340136?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0629c428
It is starting to look like a useless effort. Either stoptechs or nothing...

There's 2 things you don't cheap out on - tires, and brakes. Both are incredibly vital.
Totally Agree! Without those... you'll be playing russian roulette every time you drive.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts

3 things you dont cheap out on-tires, brakes, and toilet paper :welcome:

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3 things you dont cheap out on-tires, brakes, and toilet paper :welcome:
Indeed! :plusone:

I found a place locally that can build the braided SS lines but will require a sample. Hopefully special_fx has his old OEMs so I can get a quote and compare costs to Stoptechs. This may also allow me to select higher quality material (don't know if it's really needed).

The final cost of the stoptechs for me would be about $200 because of freight forwarding them from Miami to Panama.

I'll keep you posted on how this goes! Hopefully not with my car resting in the bottom of the Panama Canal...:facepalm:

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Might be worth it to just get the StopTechs to be honest. $200 is a great price.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Indeed! :plusone:

I found a place locally that can build the braided SS lines but will require a sample. Hopefully special_fx has his old OEMs so I can get a quote and compare costs to Stoptechs. This may also allow me to select higher quality material (don't know if it's really needed).

The final cost of the stoptechs for me would be about $200 because of freight forwarding them from Miami to Panama.

I'll keep you posted on how this goes! Hopefully not with my car resting in the bottom of the Panama Canal...:facepalm:
Just go with the Goodridge set that I linked above.

Mine are great, All the fittings were really nice quality, you get a new set of crush washers, and the price is great for what you get. Quality should at least be on par with the Stoptechs, and undoubtedly better than ebay rubbish. Plus they are pretty good value.

Not made in China either ;)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the input! before going with the goodridges I'll try to get a quote from the local shop and specs but....I've been having a hard time finding someone around here with spare brakelines (front and rears) to measure them and take pictures of the fittings.

Could any one provide these photos and measurements?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Here are links to some very good information.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/stainless-steel-brake-lines

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bleeding-brakes

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bleeding-abs-brake-systems

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/stainless-steel-brake-lines-q-a

By the way, you can use those cheap stainless steel brake lines with the zinc plated fittings and unprotected fitting to protective coating joint. Stoptech lines are the only way to go. They are also a registered brake line manufacturer with the US DOT.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts