Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around and saw that sharkracing has a ECU for the Tib, where u list all your mods. and they send you an ECU+core charge for yours. It raises the rev limiter and messes w/ the timing, wouldn't this be a good option for I/H/E and stg. 4, and possibly cams? I know that w/ the stg. 4 moving much more air at higher rpms, it could keep pulling for another couple 100 rpms... and definitely with hotter cams, a higher rev limit would be desired...
for NA tibs, slightly advanced timing would probably help too, and i think they could set it to retard the timing a little for nitrous and FI tibs...

and the Alpine unichip- people have discussed that more, but i don't think it raises the rev limiter...
I'm mostly interested in the ECU... Anybody heard anything about the sharkracing ECU, or anybody have it/thought about it or know more about it?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
pretty sure if u do the ECU u cant do the fuel tuner.. also everytime u did a new mod u would have to send it back to them

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Eh I would never trust Shark Racing with do anything on the ECU. Also last i heard about half the time they never send you the product.

A piggyback ECU will always be better than a reflash because every car is different. So go for the unichip, mafterburner, or safc. In your case the unichip since you want to control timing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how can the rev limiter be raised?? I'm tuning with a SAFCII, i was just thinking about different engine management options for the future if I stay NA... and i know that the stock rev limiter would be holding a set of hot cams back a little bit...

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Real ECU is the only other option available I believe. I think Malogus said he had a hard time tuning his N/A setup once he got that though.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well then... looks like after I/H/E, FI is the way to go... In the end, with cams+stg. 4, and some sort of ECU tuning, you would end-up spending more than with a sniper kit... and be making less power, especially "usable" power in the lower rpm band.

There should be a NA "kit" for the V6... I know seoulful has NA stages for the I4, with ECU and everything...

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
well then... looks like after I/H/E, FI is the way to go... In the end, with cams+stg. 4, and some sort of ECU tuning, you would end-up spending more than with a sniper kit... and be making less power, especially "usable" power in the lower rpm band.

There should be a NA "kit" for the V6... I know seoulful has NA stages for the I4, with ECU and everything...
Well depends I got my stg. 4, mb tuner, intake and exhaust for like 1200. New headers are like 250-400, crower cams-350 for regrinds. Then 120 to dyno/tune out here.

So about 2000 with some used items for that setup. However you can also argue on getting some used alpine kits for as low as 1500 now.

IMO though its a bit more satisfying to just go F/I, but N/A is more reliable

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
yeah i got my stg4 for $595... yeah im making less power than a base alpine or sniper but im making less power for $1000 or more under cost of slightly used SC kits. I drive my tib everday in bumper to bumper traffic and i plan to have this thing last me a very long time so performance wise not much more will be done other than a lightweight pulley from NGM. U wont see a "traded my tib" thread anytime soon for me. Having ur car paid off is awsome and it lasting long enough to enjoy being paid off is even better

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
If you do it right FI is extremely reliable too, I drive my car all the time with no problems.

I would be a little scared to tear the engine apart and install cams, etc. I think that is asking for trouble.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I agree with Lost on the Piggyback issue , it's much easier to change your fuel and timing issues with a good tuner than it is to have the ECU yanked every time ya do a mod, lord knows I've modded my car so many times I'd go apesh*t if I had to wait for my ECU everytime. and on the subject of cams, I would most definately recommend them , even if the have a moderately long duration you could split it with the adjustable cam gears and get monster gains.Vivabrasil if I was you I would get a mafterburner because it is VERY user freindly and Very easy to mod your fuel map with it and the hook up is amazingly easy. NGM did a very nice DIY video for the install and you cant go wrong with it .

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you do it right FI is extremely reliable too, I drive my car all the time with no problems.

I would be a little scared to tear the engine apart and install cams, etc. I think that is asking for trouble.
agree, i dont want to go that far with N/A. Cams is something i wouldnt dare mess with. I am in hopes to go well over 100K miles with this car. I want it to last awhile and im afraid even with a good FI set up it will shorten the life of the engine and i want this thing to last awhile

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
I agree with Lost on the Piggyback issue , it's much easier to change your fuel and timing issues with a good tuner than it is to have the ECU yanked every time ya do a mod, lord knows I've modded my car so many times I'd go apesh*t if I had to wait for my ECU everytime. and on the subject of cams, I would most definately recommend them , even if the have a moderately long duration you could split it with the adjustable cam gears and get monster gains.Vivabrasil if I was you I would get a mafterburner because it is VERY user freindly and Very easy to mod your fuel map with it and the hook up is amazingly easy. NGM did a very nice DIY video for the install and you cant go wrong with it .
Thats another thing also. Anyone with cams or yor unique setup, what make you think those companys actually have a base car to do a base tune off of ya know. There are some decent company that do this stuff right like dynocomp and subarus for example, but none really for the tib.

Off topic-I like the reflashes for the subarus. They just plug into the ecu, put in a downloaded tune, boom your done. Wish we had something like that

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
we've already got fuel tuners for our (and most other car's) we just need some way to tune the spark advance and we'll be set. sadly no one has such a product except alpines unichip and ya cant tune em yourself so i say that's worthless.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
supposedly the unichip adjusts to your mods... i'd still want to tune tho.
i think the assassin is overkill and will def. hurt reliability... cams are awesome, and if i go NA i would def. get cams... but only if there's a way to raise the rev limiter by then. if not i'll just stick with the base sniper.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Assassin is for people who are going to build their motors also. Just getting a base assassin is pointless IMO since the sniper is good for at least around 320whp.

You can already raise te rev limiter so cams are fine

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how can you raise the rev limiter? i know the REAL ecu (or whatever it is) does, but didn't they go out of business?
aside from REAL...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
seoulfulracing has these reflashes too(even better)...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Has anyone actually bought Alpines "Q" version of the Unichip? I've been trying to get info on it but they won't respond to any messages and it seems like their rep on this board left. It looks pretty interesting, especially with how it connects in the engine bay. I'm trying to get some kind of fuel tuner for my Stage 1 alpine and it looks like a good option.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i'd go with a kdmguys reflash or something like mafterburner

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Has anyone actually bought Alpines "Q" version of the Unichip? I've been trying to get info on it but they won't respond to any messages and it seems like their rep on this board left. It looks pretty interesting, especially with how it connects in the engine bay. I'm trying to get some kind of fuel tuner for my Stage 1 alpine and it looks like a good option.
It just came out recently so I dont think anyone really has it yet. You tried contacting dmdicks or whatever?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts