Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or both im going to boost in the spring i have most of my stuff just wondering if which direction to go in

·
Registered
694 Posts
you know im in the same situation. I wanna get both but if i reflash and alpine sends me the piggyback ecu, which is probably programmed to work with stock ecu, things might get a lil hectic.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
awww n00bs how cute.

1. the alpine unit is NOT a piggyback "ecu". it is a piggy back unit that installs in the engine bay, unlike the mafterburner and safcII which taps in behind the ecu.

2. there is no such thing as an ecu flash out for our cars that is affordable

3. by flash i think you meant power chip which is not the same thing as a fuel tuner

4. fuel tuners give you the ability to add and subtract fuel at certain rpm points to prevent you from going rich or lean

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
bms231 said:
Airborne and KDMGuy both do stock ECU reflashes for boost applications. I can't remember how much, but I know it was as much as (if not cheaper than) buying a fuel tuner.

dvanderk is using Airborne's retuned ECU.

NadaV6 said:
so for the tune i should go for the safc2
If you're going to get a fuel tuner, I would recommend the Apexi Neo

·
Registered
694 Posts
bms231 said:
awww n00bs how cute.

1. the alpine unit is NOT a piggyback "ecu". it is a piggy back unit that installs in the engine bay, unlike the mafterburner and safcII which taps in behind the ecu.

3. by flash i think you meant power chip which is not the same thing as a fuel tuner

4. fuel tuners give you the ability to add and subtract fuel at certain rpm points to prevent you from going rich or lean
thanx man, my noobness will never be cured lol. Live and learn i guess.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
My setup was reflashed and my SAFC-2 allows me to make just minor adjustments. Overall my tune, timing, fuel is perfect! Drives as if it came turbo'd. Also my gas mileage is incredible (that is of course if I dont step on it...)

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
bms231 said:
awww n00bs how cute.

1. the alpine unit is NOT a piggyback "ecu". it is a piggy back unit that installs in the engine bay, unlike the mafterburner and safcII which taps in behind the ecu. Wrong, the Unichip is a fully functional Engine Control Unit, even more so when compared with the MAFterburner and S-AFC. Mounting location does not have anything to do with it. Alpine choses to mount the Unichip in the engine bay because its the easiest location to mount it.

2. there is no such thing as an ecu flash out for our cars that is affordable. Wrong again. The companies that actually offer the reflash are actually very inexpensive when compared to other brands like Subaru or Mitsubishi flashes which can cost upwards of 600USD.

3. by flash i think you meant power chip which is not the same thing as a fuel tuner. An ECU flash and Powerchip are vastly different things. A flash is just a rewrite of the stock ECU program. A Powerchip is a complete replacement ECU EPROM.

4. fuel tuners give you the ability to add and subtract fuel at certain rpm points to prevent you from going rich or lean. Well, you got this one right at least. To expand a little. Most fuel tuners are just that. The add or subtract MAF/MAP voltage going to the OEM ECU. What this does is trick the OEM ECU into thinking there is more or less load on the engine so it supplies more or less fuel via the fuel injectors. The problem with fuel tuners is that most modern OBDII ECUs add or subtract ignition timing based on Engine Load. So if you install larger injectors and have to pull MAF/MAP voltage to get the engine to run, the OEM ECU will be adding timing thinking that the engine is under less load than it actually is. Not the best way to tune a engine.

Answers are above.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
agreed with dmdicks..

ps> Dave, answer please my last pm, with three quesions concerning prs2

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
dmdicks said:
Answers are above.

Wrong, the Unichip is a fully functional Engine Control Unit, even more so when compared with the MAFterburner and S-AFC. Mounting location does not have anything to do with it. Alpine choses to mount the Unichip in the engine bay because its the easiest location to mount it.

bms231: we will agree to disagree on what our definitions of "ecu" are.

2. there is no such thing as an ecu flash out for our cars that is affordable.

Wrong again. The companies that actually offer the reflash are actually very inexpensive when compared to other brands like Subaru or Mitsubishi flashes which can cost upwards of 600USD.

bms231: Show me a company other than power chips that can "flash" your ecu w/o desoldering the chip that is under 500 bux.

3. by flash i think you meant power chip which is not the same thing as a fuel tuner.

An ECU flash and Powerchip are vastly different things. A flash is just a rewrite of the stock ECU program. A Powerchip is a complete replacement ECU EPROM.

bms231: yes, i know

4. fuel tuners give you the ability to add and subtract fuel at certain rpm points to prevent you from going rich or lean.

Well, you got this one right at least. To expand a little. Most fuel tuners are just that. The add or subtract MAF/MAP voltage going to the OEM ECU. What this does is trick the OEM ECU into thinking there is more or less load on the engine so it supplies more or less fuel via the fuel injectors. The problem with fuel tuners is that most modern OBDII ECUs add or subtract ignition timing based on Engine Load. So if you install larger injectors and have to pull MAF/MAP voltage to get the engine to run, the OEM ECU will be adding timing thinking that the engine is under less load than it actually is. Not the best way to tune a engine.

May I remind you, personal attacks against members are not tolerated. While I appreciate your input, you could have gone about it in a different manor. Do not be upset because I pissed in your cherios by saying something negative, but true, about alpine in a different thread.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
bms231 said:
May I remind you, personal attacks against members are not tolerated. While I appreciate your input, you could have gone about it in a different manor. Do not be upset because I pissed in your cherios by saying something negative, but true, about alpine in a different thread.
WTF are you talking about? dmdicks didn't make a personal attack on you. Just cause he corrected (or provided his opinion, rather), doesn't mean he called you a dickhead/*******/mother****er, etc... which would be personal attacks.

Anyway, good info in here.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
Gamz said:
WTF are you talking about? dmdicks didn't make a personal attack on you. Just cause he corrected (or provided his opinion, rather), doesn't mean he called you a dickhead/*******/mother****er, etc... which would be personal attacks.

Anyway, good info in here.

it is against site rules to follow someone around and post keep making posts against theirs.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
bms231 said:
awww n00bs how cute.

I think he means the Unichip?

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
ahh.... very well could be. i was talkin about the newest piece they have out, not quite yet on the market as far as i know, that splices into the engine bay sensors. whatever they call that thing.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Ya i prefer the reflash of the ecu's.... I spent 450 with mine, plus 100 returned for mailing my old ecu. Im sure either way is fine depending on funds. I've had good experiences with reflashes.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
caledonian said:
Damn dude, are you gonna tell on him?? haha. It's the internet, relax.
i think hes just trying to stop flamming from occuring. I dont blame him for that, this site used to be extremely bad with ppl insaulting one another left and right. Sadly this site grew repuation for that, and I hope it go's back to the way it used to be. Floridatibs.com is very friendly, the way NT used to be. Hopefully it will be that way again.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
I apologize if you felt like I was attacking you personally. I was attacking your answers. I'm fed up with the amount of disinformation on this and other boards around the net. I do not claim to have all the answers but the ones I do have will be 100% accurate because I have done years of research to make sure they are accurate. So if my corrections affend you then maybe you need to do more research before you post up misinformation. (steps off soapbox)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i don't know where disappeared my last post to dvanderk, maybe i forgot to push "post" button. in short, the 1 and 2.5 bar map sensors have different scales, both indicate let's say from 0.5v to 5v. 2.5 bar will just mess up everything in the ecu's vision and feeling.. he just needs to clamp the voltage at about 4.5volts(i think at 4.52v the ecu throws a map cel)...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts