Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post, I've been surfing on the site for a while. I'm looking to "tune" my ecu. What would the best way to do that now a days. I've been looking into AFR tuning and all that and have been considering an APEXI Neo. im not sure the best way I should go about this. I think that im looking for a Piggy back tuner. or would it be better for a standalone ECU? what piggyback should I go with? im just wanting to modify the ecu aspect of the car for some added performance to get the best out of my mods.

Mod List- I/H/E, Lightweight solid mass flywheel conversion. (08 V6 SE)

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
Piggybacks are intended for boosted applications. They can adjust fuel pretty well but can only retard ignition. The Apexi NEO can't retard ignition if I remember correctly. It can only add or subtract fuel.

Since you are naturally aspirated what you are looking for is either a standalone or a canned reflash with significantly advanced ignition for 93 octane and the WOT AFR leaned out to 12.5:1 with the WOT TPS trigger point lowered to 50% throttle. A piggyback is not suitable for a N/A car unfortunately.

I am one of the few people currently reflashing ECMs. If you can find yourself a junkyard 2003-2006 4mbit ECM with either 5WY17 or 5WY18 on the main label I can help you out. Send me a PM for more details.

Reactions: CodyTRX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thank you. I’m pretty sure that no one tunes/flashes our stock ecu’s anymore from what I’ve seen, besides what you are doing of course. So most likely I would be going with a stand-alone ecu. Could you recommend a standalone? I’ve herd of mega squirt as a good platform.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
If you intend to stay naturally aspirated the cost doesn't seem worth it for how little you gain. You're only looking at a maximum of 200WHP with I/H/E and ported intakes. Add some cams, trick port work on your heads and some decent tuning you might hit 230-250WHP but that's a stretch without higher compression. If you go forced induction and are looking at 300-350WHP I highly recommend a standalone with the really good knock control and the option for meth/eth injection safeguards.

I would recommend buying a standalone that your local tuner shop knows best. It doesn't help you to buy a megasquirt if your local shop only tunes AEM systems. If it were me and I am street tuning, my first go-to would be a megasquirt because it's open source and will be supported forever.

Reactions: DRomanRoad
1 - 4 of 4 Posts