Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a problem. ok its either my transmission, clutch, or pressure plate. i can start the car up but there is this rattling noise comming from the engin bay. when i press in the clutch the rattling stops, but i cant put it in any gear. the only way i can get the car to move is if i put the car in gear first then start it up, but doing that makes it jump a couple of times then it catches and starts to drive. but while drivin i still cant shift without forcing it in to the next gear. i wana know whats wrong with it before i go and get a new part. please help

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Throw out bearing.....

New clutch setup cause you may as well since the teardown is all the way.

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
And before you ask, mine did the exact same thing. Opened up bellhousing and bunch of little balls came out, TOB totally exploded. Clutch was ok but worn so I put in VHR from SFR, comes with new TOB.

110% its your TOB

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
i have a problem. ok its either my transmission, clutch, or pressure plate. i can start the car up but there is this rattling noise comming from the engin bay. when i press in the clutch the rattling stops, but i cant put it in any gear. the only way i can get the car to move is if i put the car in gear first then start it up, but doing that makes it jump a couple of times then it catches and starts to drive. but while drivin i still cant shift without forcing it in to the next gear. i wana know whats wrong with it before i go and get a new part. please help
hey no joke if she really did bust your window what side did she bust because i have a brand new window for passenger side door window.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Throw out bearing.....

New clutch setup cause you may as well since the teardown is all the way.
ok would that make it not shift into gear when the car is on. itll shift when the cars off but when i turn itll like jump a couple of times then start up.

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
ok would that make it not shift into gear when the car is on. itll shift when the cars off but when i turn itll like jump a couple of times then start up.
Thats what mine did, I had to put it in second (damn modded 6 speeds, 1st is trash) start it and ride it out to the shop. Luckily it happened at work so I just had to go around the building like that. It blew when I was sitting in first, clutch in. So it was all good, then it lurched like I dropped it but still had my foot on the firewall.

Without the TOB your clutch is useless, thats why you cant shift unless its off aka flywheel not spinning.

Research what a TOB does and you will see exactly what is happening and why.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what mine did, I had to put it in second (damn modded 6 speeds, 1st is trash) start it and ride it out to the shop. Luckily it happened at work so I just had to go around the building like that. It blew when I was sitting in first, clutch in. So it was all good, then it lurched like I dropped it but still had my foot on the firewall.

Without the TOB your clutch is useless, thats why you cant shift unless its off aka flywheel not spinning.

Research what a TOB does and you will see exactly what is happening and why.
a thanks alot.

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
No problem, I feel sorry for you...... That fvcking TOB started a hellacious tear down and rebuild, it was hell.

Best of luck

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
it got farther than the engine?
Ha ha, yeah you could say that.

Just getting the tranny out means basically pulling the engine whether going up or down. I held the engine with forklift and dropped tranny with hoist. Mating them together was bad cuz I didnt prefit the input shaft on the clutch beforehand..... had to file it a little to fit. Putting it back I screwed my steering and alignment cuz I had an idiot helping me and putting the subframe back was the last place I needed an idiot.

Stripped a few bolts, including the one holding the control arm so I had to cut into subframe and weld nut still so bolt would run in...

ETC ETC ETC

Just chasing problems, and Im pretty good with sh!t like that, or I thought I was until this car ha ha.

·
Registered
740 Posts
yeah its definitely your TOB.
anyways, may as well use it as an excuse to upgrade to a better clutch and f/w

1 - 13 of 13 Posts