Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I blew a fuse for my amp. I go to replace it and I disconnect the neg side of the battery just to be safe. As I go to reconnect the neg I get a spark and I know a small spark is normal but this was big and blew the same fuse again. So basically I want to know how to get around this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
You are drawing to much amperage...as soon as you make the connection you get that arch, and in turn blow your fuse....

Do you have an inline fuse for your amp on the positive side?

and you can replace your fuse with out unhooking the battery

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
heh.. blowing fuses always stinks.

sparking once is always normal when reconnecting a battery with amps drawing power to their capacitors and what not...

try once more maybe

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
well is this fuse IN the amp? or are you talkin about in line fuses for the power wire?

if this is iN the amp i wouldnt go bigger..

if it's a power wire fuse then

250A for 1/0 gauge
150A for 4 gauge
50A for 8 gauge

·
Registered
77 Posts
If it's an inline fuse, (on the positive power wire going back to your amp), and it's blowing while the amp is turned off, then you have a dead short somewhere. Check your connections at the amp, make sure there aren't any stray strands of copper sticking out anywhere touching anything. If everything looks good there, then you probably have a cut/knick in your wire somewhere, and it's shorting against a piece of metal. Don't waste your time with a bigger fuse. If the amp is off, it's not drawing any current. It can only be a dead short. or, do you have a cap in your setup?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It sounds like the power wire to the amp has a direct short like mentioned above. Check the path of the wire from the battery to the amp and see if you can find a bad spot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.