Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently stuck at a friend's house, I did some work to my car here (valve cover gaskets, heater hoses) I finished the work and started the car, bled the cooling system and everything was great, but to start the car I had to jump it, never had any sign before that the battery was bad and it was 12 volts but I figured "hey it's gotta be that" so I replaced it

Now after replacing the battery as soon as I connect the terminals the horn stays on, the wipers always wipe, the car won't start and the only part of the dash that comes on is the CEL and the oil light, I cannot attempt to unlock my car with my fob (just in case it's a theft thing) because my fob is t programmed to my car

Please help! My car after I did the work was running perfectly, I've been checking wiring and everything looks fine

· Registered
581 Posts
Update I can get the car turning over now but its like free spinning, no spark or fuel I'm assuming
1. Using OBD2 scanner, ccan for codes, post the pending and stored codes.
2. When you try to crank, does it sound healthy crank?
3. Remove upper timing belt cover and check condition of the belt? When was the timing belt and water pump last replaced?
4. Important: Check crankshaft position sensor (especially the wires). There could be P0335 code (doesn't always throw) there's also a fuse that gets blown i think ECU fuse when the CPS wires are melted and short.

You mentioned you did valve cover gasket replacement, any visible leaks around the valve cover?
check for all wires (especially the ground wires). There are few connectors that look same(iacv and tps), check them.

Refer to pictures from this post : Changed real valve cover, spark plugs, and wires - now...

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update, after a while of looking over everything i went back at looked at the battery again, as i stated above I was at a friends house and he was helping me on my car, during the installation of the battery he had the battery flipped the wrong way, I am very lucky like The_Evenger said and I only popped my overhead light fuse and my main fuse, everything else is fine (most likely due to the alternator night being run by the ECU)

lesson learned... never let your drunk friend touch anything

· Registered
934 Posts
Having modules get fried seems to be more of a car-specific thing, I'm not sure how well the tib handles it. I've seen a few cars get towed away from getting the battery terminals backwards, others just blew fuses. This happened often enough when I worked at a parts store that it was somewhat expected to happen when they refuse to let use install the battery for them.

But, it can get the best of us, and even one of our senior employees did that once (and luckily it just blew a fuse). Although, he wasn't entirely to blame. The customer just gave us a part # & wouldn't let us look it up on the system, and that battery had one little detail that was very important to fitment, the "R" in the group number. That means the terminals were reversed & our guy didn't notice this since the batteries look identical. Turns out the "R" version was about $20 cheaper, so that's likely why the customer gave us a part# instead of letting us luck up the proper battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts