Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you're having this issue, scroll down for the answer!

For the past few days, I've been struggling to pass emissions. It appears that three of my monitors (Catalyst, Evaporative System, and Oxygen Sensor) refuse to enable/ready themselves. Everything else is fine & passing.

A bit of information about my car -

I'm the second owner with only 30,000 miles on my 2006 Hyundai Tiburon GT (V6, 2.7L). My car is very close to stock, with the only performance mods being a Borla Cat-Back Exhaust & an Injen CAI. I don't even have headers installed yet, and it still won't pass emissions! Also - I have never seen or witnessed a CEL come on, so I'm a bit perplexed about this entire situation.

I've been researching this problem for 3 days now, and the only information I seem to come up with is performing the ~infamous~ "drive-cycle" - which can be found here. I've traveled over 300+ miles (this week) on the interstate performing this drive cycle very late at night/early in the morning - and to be honest; i'm sick and tired of it. There's no reason I should have to even attempt this when the last time my battery was disconnected was AGES ago...to top that off - I drive my car everyday on the interstate and street.

Can someone please provide me with some advise...or a sense of direction? I don't know what else to do. I'm lost for words because it feels like i've tried everything at this point.

Thanks
-Mitch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update 4/18/12

• OH (Heated O2) - Confirmed by Tibutrauma
    + Start Vehicle, Idle for 15 mins.
  • C (Catalyst) - Confirmed by Tibutrauma
    + On the freeway, set cruise control for 55 mph, hold at 55mph for 8-10mins.
  • EV (Evap) - Confirmed by Tibutrauma
    + With 3/4 full fuel tank, accelerate at wide open throttle (W.O.T.) to 65 mph and hold (via cruise control) for 1-2 mins.

Note: Some of these may need to be done on 2 drive cycles.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Re: I'm in dire need of help - Emissions/OBD2 Readiness

The Delphi EMS Drive Cycle OBD2 Readiness Procedure is as follows:

X1-
Idle for 5m
Accelerate to 50mph within 15 seconds
Hold for 2min. 30secs.
Decelerate to 0 within 15secs.
Idle for 90 secs.

X2-
Accelerate to 55mph within 15 seconds
Hold for 1min.
Idle for 1min.

X1-
Hold for 30secs.
Idle for 1 min.
Shut off car for 1 min
Start car and idle for 4 mins.

X4-
Hold for 30secs.
Idle for 90 secs.

Shut off car.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, I plugged in my friend's OBD2 Reader, and there's nothing wrong. No pending codes or anything - minus the monitors stated in the OP.

I reset my ECU, went out for another drive-cycle, and those three monitors are still flagged...

Thanks for posting Tibutrauma, but it doesn't seem to work :(

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Thanks for posting Tibutrauma, but it doesn't seem to work :(
Oh, you tried it? I was going to do it to get my Evap and Heated O2 monitors ready.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Oh, you tried it? I was going to do it to get my Evap and Heated O2 monitors ready.
Yeah, I posted a link to the drive-cycle in the OP. I believe to get your Heated 02 Monitor enabled, you need to let your car idle 15 minutes after start. Best of luck man

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Yeah, I posted a link to the drive-cycle in the OP. I believe to get your Heated 02 Monitor enabled, you need to let your car idle 15 minutes after start. Best of luck man
Ah, is there somewhere I can find how to ready each of the monitors?

Edit: I meant the O2 monitor not heated O2. My Catalyst and Evap monitor are flashing too. How do you ready them?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ah, is there somewhere I can find how to ready each of the monitors?

Edit: I meant the O2 monitor not heated O2. My Catalyst and Evap monitor are flashing too. How do you ready them?
I just remember finding that solution for only that monitor unfortunately.

Ah, so you're in the same boat as me. I'm trying to figure out how to ready them as well :3_sadley:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

I didn't even read the OP. After reading it I realized we own the same car. I have an 06 V6 Limited. I've had CEL come on a few times but it was of my own doing from installing a Pepboys SRI. Did you try calling Hyundai? Maybe you could ask a tech what the parameters are for those monitors. Let me know if you figure it out, I didn't even realize you had the same monitors missing I did lol.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

I didn't even read the OP. After reading it I realized we own the same car. I have an 06 V6 Limited. I've had CEL come on a few times but it was of my own doing from installing a Pepboys SRI. Did you try calling Hyundai? Maybe you could ask a tech what the parameters are for those monitors. Let me know if you figure it out, I didn't even realize you had the same monitors missing I did lol.
If they tell me to go drive my car, i'm going to enrage lol

I suppose it has come down to this though. I'll just take the car up to Hyundai and find out exactly what needs to be done

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts

Have you visited Hyundai yet? Curious about the outcome and hope you get this fixed asap.

·
Registered
450 Posts

If no o2s are throwing codes or anything i would give it another 1000 miles before checking again. if by then the monitors still haven't run then you have a problem.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Have you visited Hyundai yet? Curious about the outcome and hope you get this fixed asap.
Thanks optimummind. I haven't scheduled an appointment yet because I just reset the ECU yesterday. This situation is really frustrating because I only need 1 of these monitors to pass! Sort of unfortunate, but I have hope it isn't anything serious.

If no o2s are throwing codes or anything i would give it another 1000 miles before checking again. if by then the monitors still haven't run then you have a problem.
Hopefully it isn't a serious problem, but I recently discovered the below post from a very similar thread...

• The Hyundai drive cycles are very wierd.. I had mine take almost 1500 miles to go ready - keep driving... in town and on freeway all speeds and don't forget to let it idle in the drive way for a while

~ I'm going to keep updating this thread with my upcoming progress. Hopefully others experiencing the same or similar problem(s) will have this to reference in the future.

Thanks everyone :3_nosthum

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Retrieved from a HHOP post - Not sure if valid, but worth mentioning.

"On the drive cycle:
02Htr readies during 15 minute idle period
EVAP readies with fuel level between 15% and 85% (measures gas tank pressure)
Catalyst during 8 minute 55mph period"

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Retrieved from a HHOP post - Not sure if valid, but worth mentioning.

"On the drive cycle:
02Htr readies during 15 minute idle period
EVAP readies with fuel level between 15% and 85% (measures gas tank pressure)
Catalyst during 8 minute 55mph period"
OH (Heated O2) - Confirmed. Did it yesterday on my friends Acura.

C (Catalyst) - I'm gonna test that today using Cruise Control and my GPS mph feature. I will post results.

EV (Evap) - I wasn't aware the fuel tank had any considerable pressure. I know the fuel lines are pressurized, but the tank? How does one measre the tank pressure?

·
Registered
153 Posts

I've been struggling with Cat/Evap/O2 monitors since January. Same scenario no CEL's. I eventually discovered some moron decided to omit my Wheel Speed Sensor and run a jumper from the Vehicle Speed Sensor into the plug for my WSS. Which gave it a rogue speed signal to prevent a CEL but not the correct information to ready the monitors. (my assumption because now I have a CEL P0501)

At this point I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. Either the WSS I bought and installed is faulty or the ECU on my car is an ABS ECU (car is non ABS). ABS ECU's read the WSS out of pin 22 on the ECU where as non-ABS use pins 38 & 39.

Your symptoms are all to similar, It's a long shot but...

As for hyundai, they couldn't tell me squat.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

OH (Heated O2) - Confirmed. Did it yesterday on my friends Acura.

C (Catalyst) - I'm gonna test that today using Cruise Control and my GPS mph feature. I will post results.

EV (Evap) - I wasn't aware the fuel tank had any considerable pressure. I know the fuel lines are pressurized, but the tank? How does one measre the tank pressure?
Awesome, i'm glad that worked on your friend's Acura. Do you think (for the Catalyst) it matters what gear, or whether or not cruise control is on? I believe on these monitors it takes 2 drive-cycles to ready them. Thanks for attempting this!

As for the Evaporative System, I'm confused as well.

I've been struggling with Cat/Evap/O2 monitors since January. Same scenario no CEL's. I eventually discovered some moron decided to omit my Wheel Speed Sensor and run a jumper from the Vehicle Speed Sensor into the plug for my WSS. Which gave it a rogue speed signal to prevent a CEL but not the correct information to ready the monitors. (my assumption because now I have a CEL P0501)

At this point I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. Either the WSS I bought and installed is faulty or the ECU on my car is an ABS ECU (car is non ABS). ABS ECU's read the WSS out of pin 22 on the ECU where as non-ABS use pins 38 & 39.

Your symptoms are all to similar, It's a long shot but...

As for hyundai, they couldn't tell me squat.
Thanks for posting Twitch. Yeah, Hyundai can sometimes be a hit or miss

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Good News!

Took the tib out on the highway and set the cruise control to 55mph for 8 mins (I timed it). Just to be safe I did it for 9 or 10 mins. I pulled over and checked the OBD monitors. IT PASSED! the "C" wasn't flashing. After checking I noted that my "OH" and "EV" were still flashing. I figured the only other style of driving I haven't done yet was to go WOT from an idle. So, with about 3/4 of a tank of fuel, I took it out on the highway, pulled over put on the hazards and waited till I didn't see any traffic behind me for a good 1/2 mile or so. I pressed the pedal to the floor and let the tranny shift gears till I hit 65mph, at that point I set cruise control to 65mph and held that for about a minute or so. After I got off the highway I pulled into a gas station and checked the codes. The "EV" passed! All I have left is my "OH". :3_nosthum:3_nosthum:3_nosthum

I think we need to sticky this thread or make a Definitive OBD2 Monitor Readiness Thread.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Good News!

Took the tib out on the highway and set the cruise control to 55mph for 8 mins (I timed it). Just to be safe I did it for 9 or 10 mins. I pulled over and checked the OBD monitors. IT PASSED! the "C" wasn't flashing. After checking I noted that my "OH" and "EV" were still flashing. I figured the only other style of driving I haven't done yet was to go WOT from an idle. So, with about 3/4 of a tank of fuel, I took it out on the highway, pulled over put on the hazards and waited till I didn't see any traffic behind me for a good 1/2 mile or so. I pressed the pedal to the floor and let the tranny shift gears till I hit 65mph, at that point I set cruise control to 65mph and held that for about a minute or so. After I got off the highway I pulled into a gas station and checked the codes. The "EV" passed! All I have left is my "OH". :3_nosthum:3_nosthum:3_nosthum

I think we need to sticky this thread or make a Definitive OBD2 Monitor Readiness Thread.
WOW! That's amazing news man! I'm going to try this today :3_nosthum

Thanks for posting this. +Rep to you when I'm able to give more out!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts