Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Re: I'm in dire need of help - Emissions/OBD2 Readiness

Ok, so from what I've learned so far....

OH (Heated O2) - Confirmed.
Start Vehicle, Idle for 15 mins.

C (Catalyst) - Confirmed.
On the freeway, set cruise control for 55 mph, hold at 55mph for 8-10mins.

EV (Evap) - Confirmed.
With 3/4 full fuel tank, accelerate at wide open throttle (W.O.T.) to 65 mph and hold (via cruise control) for 1-2 mins.

Note: Some of these may need to be done on 2 drive cycles.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Ok, so from what I've learned so far....

OH (Heated O2) - Confirmed.
Start Vehicle, Idle for 15 mins.

C (Catalyst) - Confirmed.
On the freeway, set cruise control for 55 mph, hold at 55mph for 8-10mins.

EV (Evap) - Confirmed.
With 3/4 full fuel tank, accelerate at wide open throttle (W.O.T.) to 65 mph and hold (via cruise control) for 1-2 mins.

Note: Some of these may need to be done on 2 drive cycles.
Just got done with my drive cycles today! I'm going to test my emissions tomorrow, and i'll post up my results.

A quick question - you have an automatic right? If I go W.O.T. I have to manually change gears, so I have to temporarily lift off the gas.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Just got done with my drive cycles today! I'm going to test my emissions tomorrow, and i'll post up my results.

A quick question - you have an automatic right? If I go W.O.T. I have to manually change gears, so I have to temporarily lift off the gas.
Yea I have auto, I would say just haul @ss. Maybe take it to 4k rpms before shifting through all gears; then progress up to 5k for another set until you go for the gold and hit your rev limit. So in other words, get the engine use to the heat and friction before you start dealing with insane temps. when you atempt topass that monitors test. Thats just my opinion. I can drive a manual but I don't do it daily. Just remember to stay off the clutch as much as possible. If anybody wants to chime in and tell me I'm an idiot, please do so lol.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Finished my fourth out of probably 30 emissions tests in total today (once you fail the initial one, you are rewarded with unlimited re-tests for 90 days).

And guess what? I failed :)

I took it up to Hyundai and they reset my ECU and they told me everything is working and the monitors should ready themselves in a few days. I hope I pass next time...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

I don't understand. Did you ready all of the monitors before you took the test?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

I don't understand. Did you ready all of the monitors before you took the test?
I don't have an OBD2 Scanner. The monitors (evap, catalyst, o2) are just refusing to ready themselves no matter what driving conditions I put them under.

I'll be trying again this week though, wish me luck. :3_sadley:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

How many times did you try to drive the 3 cycles. I'd say for the OH let the car idle till it gets to operational temp let start the 15 mins clock. If the systems are not running theres something wrong. If you don't have an OBD2 scanner you might be able to rent one. You can't not drive around without current inspections. Maybe try asking the ElantraXD forums they might know or lurk on google for OBD2 readiness. I'll see what I can dig up from a buddy of mine in Washington. He works on subs for the navy and is a car guru.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)

How many times did you try to drive the 3 cycles. I'd say for the OH let the car idle till it gets to operational temp let start the 15 mins clock. If the systems are not running theres something wrong. If you don't have an OBD2 scanner you might be able to rent one. You can't not drive around without current inspections. Maybe try asking the ElantraXD forums they might know or lurk on google for OBD2 readiness. I'll see what I can dig up from a buddy of mine in Washington. He works on subs for the navy and is a car guru.
I honestly lost count on how many time I tried the official drive-cycle, variations of it, and what you posted. I always let it idle for 15 minutes before I go out to try one.

It's sad because Hyundai can't fix it

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Ok so this is what I've come up with:

It's possible your monitors are runing, failing the tests, but not throwing a code or a CEL. Why? because lets say you have a faulty purge valve soleniod (located behind the upper surge tank, or UIM). And lets say the computer is looking for a resistance of 24.5 - 27.5 ohms. Lets also say that the computer will throw a code IF it shows more than 30 ohms or less than 22 ohms . If your sensor is hovering at 28.5 ohms and it needs to be at least 30 ohms to throw a code, then your riding around with a faulty senosr. It's also possible the computer is getting an intermittent signal with the right reading but not seeing it as a problem. You could try checking to see if the senosrs harness fell out or if it is loose and try the drive cycle again if you find a problem.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)

4/15/12 -

Update!! Well, the monitors still aren't passing, but I have a few more ideas before I give up entirely.

- Next time I "reset" the ECU, i'm going to unplug the battery and press the brake pedal instead of just pulling the fuse. Actually, now that I think about it - I'll just do both, lol.

- My friend told me to tell Hyundai to reset the "adaptations". I'm not sure what that meant, but it sounds similar to resetting the ECU.

- Going to give it another 1000 miles or so, with many more drive-cycles to come!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Thought I would update this thread. Looks like i'm still failing, so I might just call it and trade it in. No point in keeping the car anymore if it can't pass a required emissions test.

Looks like i'm not alone though : http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215250

·
Registered
3,213 Posts

Mitch how many miles on the car and is the MAF original?

Like I mentioned earlier I was having a tough time getting mine to ready with a bogus MAF even though I had no CEL's. Once I got a good MAF in all sensors readied in record time.

And constantly resetting the ECU isn't going to change anything other than making you start the whole process over again.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Mitch how many miles on the car and is the MAF original?

Like I mentioned earlier I was having a tough time getting mine to ready with a bogus MAF even though I had no CEL's. Once I got a good MAF in all sensors readied in record time.

And constantly resetting the ECU isn't going to change anything other than making you start the whole process over again.

23,000 miles on the car when I bought it, passed emissions no problem.

32,000 miles on her right now, and as far as I know; the MAF is original.

I have some good news, maybe a blessing from the NT gods - I was able to renew my registration online and somehow they *skipped* the emissions section. I have another year to figure this out, so it looks like i'll be ordering some DC headers to have some fun in the meantime :3_nosthum

+Rep by the way

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Emissions/OBD2 Readiness

I had the same three that the codes wouldn't come back for so after putting 1000 miles on it running multiple drive cycles and still nothing I took it to a electrical shop and they installed a new mass air flow censor and got the o2 to pass

·
Registered
3 Posts

What if you have tried the things numerous times and still cant get CAT and
EVAP to go off.? Do you just keep driving or is there another problem? No CEL and ive drove
Over 550 miles

·
Registered
722 Posts

Have you tried driving 55 mph with the emergency lights on for around 20 miles on a half tank of gas?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Have you tried driving 55 mph with the emergency lights on for around 20 miles on a half tank of gas?
Im gonna try that tomorrow. I have drove 55mph for ten minutes numerous times. I vhanged th.maf sensor. Im over eight hundered miles now. If driving for twenty minutes doesnt work then what is thenext step

21 - 40 of 60 Posts