Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Emissions/OBD2 Readiness

I will add to this with my experience. I had to get my smog test done and failed because the 02, evap, and catalyst monitors were not completed and high CO. I didn't even think of checking the monitors because it had been 6 months or so since I replaced the battery. So I tried all the info from this thread and nothing seemed to work for me. I found out that my upper 02 sensors were slow to respond when I took it to get diagnosed by a shop. There was no fault code when I checked the codes so they weren't total failure but were worn out enough to cause this problem. I replaced the upper 02 sensors and within a 20-30 minute drive all the monitors were complete. I have right at 125,000 miles on the car. So if you are having this problem there is another avenue to pursue.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Had no idea about this readiness test. My inspection is not due to next year, but I decided to buy a wireless OBD2 thing-a-magingy so I can use it on my new touch screen radio. I didn't know I had 3 things incomplete. After this morning, the only test now that is incomplete is the evap test. I'll try it again tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Had no idea about this readiness test. My inspection is not due to next year, but I decided to buy a wireless OBD2 thing-a-magingy so I can use it on my new touch screen radio. I didn't know I had 3 things incomplete. After this morning, the only test now that is incomplete is the evap test. I'll try it again tomorrow morning.
I have gotten two of these 3 codes to clear by following the suggestions in the OP. but I too have EVAP test that has yet to clear. I am very frustrated that I cannot seem to get this one cleared.

as suggested I accelerated to 65 as quick as possible. the cruised for a couple miles. pulled over to idle for 5 minutes. then did the same routine on the return trip. EVAP still won't set. any other suggestions?

·
Registered
122 Posts

Mine are all clear. All I did for the last one was take a long drive. My daily commute is 87 miles. Left it on cruise and let it go. When I got to my exit and checked it all was good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tibutrauma, I don't understand. Did you not use the Drive Cycle in the link Mitch provided?

Are you saying it just happen to work with a 15 min idle, and 8 to 10 min at a 55 mph speed? I am only having a problem with two monitors not being ready (Catalyst & Oxygen Sensor).

Mitch: what does ECU stand for? Did your car finally pass?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did EVERYTHING these threads said for o2 and cat monitors that wouldn't ready and this is what we learned.

I'm posting this in both threads to help anyone having this issues me and my friend dealt with it for 6 months and we had no error codes and NO ONE could figure it out, not smog shops, hyundai, private shops NO ONE. Then after hours we found the fix!

A) The computer has a update because the computer reads sensors slow.... This update will not show if they look up your vin ONLY if they hook it up to the computer that can flash and run updates from corporate. (When they install it make sure they re-flash and clear your computer!)

B) If that doesn't fix it the next problem might be one or both upper o2 sensors but before you pay for new ones try C!

C) Clear the computer and run the drive cycles a couple times on a dyno (small smog shops, gas stations have them like arco and you can get away cheap!)
If the drive cycle doesn't work try it again or do the famous 0 to 20, 0 to 40, 0-50, 0-60 short drives on it. (If this doesn't work then you will probably need new upper sensors.)

The update + the drive cycle on the dyno fixed what 5 shops, a dealership, 20+ drive cycles and new O2 couldn't do! (dyno drive cycle didn't work before the update)

Note: We replaced two upper O2 sensors and it still readies in one drive cycle via drive cycle on a dyno. (When we did it on public roads it took a couple drive cycles unlike ONE on a dyno.)

2004 V6 Hyundai Tiburon GT

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tibutrauma, I don't understand. Did you not use the Drive Cycle in the link Mitch provided?

Are you saying it just happen to work with a 15 min idle, and 8 to 10 min at a 55 mph speed? I am only having a problem with two monitors not being ready (Catalyst & Oxygen Sensor).

Mitch: what does ECU stand for? Did your car finally pass?
ECU stands for Electrical Control Unit or Engine Control Unit

If you just reset your computer try the drive cycles first, the part most people miss is you sit for 5 min from a cold start before you do ANYTHING (don't change the gear or push the brake). Then you do the first part of the drive cycle with some residential, then you sit again for 15 min (this was the hardest part of all the drive cycles because I got so bored) after that you drive some more of the drive cycle. From my experience if you have done the drive cycles a couple times and hit the 400 mile mark it's probably not going to ready.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A) The computer has a update because the computer reads sensors slow.... This update will not show if they look up your vin ONLY if they hook it up to the computer that can flash and run updates from corporate. (When they install it make sure they re-flash and clear your computer!)

B) If that doesn't fix it the next problem might be one or both upper o2 sensors but before you pay for new ones try C!

C) Clear the computer and run the drive cycles a couple times on a dyno (small smog shops, gas stations have them like arco and you can get away cheap!)
If the drive cycle doesn't work try it again or do the famous 0 to 20, 0 to 40, 0-50, 0-60 short drives on it. (If this doesn't work then you will probably need new upper sensors.)

The update + the drive cycle on the dyno fixed what 5 shops, a dealership, 20+ drive cycles and new O2 couldn't do! (dyno drive cycle didn't work before the update)

Note: We replaced two upper O2 sensors and it still readies in one drive cycle via drive cycle on a dyno. (When we did it on public roads it took a couple drive cycles unlike ONE on a dyno.)

2004 V6 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Thanks for this. I am at part A, with a software update and one day left on my tags. The dealer said there was a lean code in the history for my bank 2 oxygen sensor, but said that the sensors and my fuel trims checked fine. My scan tool never even showed pending codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After the software update, which didn't work, I replaced both upper o2 sensors and removed some pretty bad corrosion from inside the positive battery terminal. My O and C monitors set within 3-5 days, like they always used to. I also found out today that they no longer need to do the pipe test on 2000 and newer vehicles, which was a relief.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '03 Tiburon with the Tuscani badging and have the same issue. I live in CA and have driven multiple drive cycles and thousands of miles. Have read a possible vacum leak or fouled plugs can be an issue. I guess its time for a planned non-op. My issues have all been with the same monitors:
OH (Heated O2), C (Catalyst), EV (Evap). Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
9,107 Posts
I have an '03 Tiburon with the Tuscani badging and have the same issue. I live in CA and have driven multiple drive cycles and thousands of miles. Have read a possible vacum leak or fouled plugs can be an issue. I guess its time for a planned non-op. My issues have all been with the same monitors:
Any CEL codes? If you don't set the monitors soon, you will pop a CEL. Give us the CEL code, NOT a description.
Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Heated should be no problem start up from a cold overnight start, don't touch anything, don't have ac, radio or headlights on and sit for the 10ish minutes part of the drive cycle... it should ready no prob if not that's a flag it might be the sensor. If you've never replaced the o2s and over 100k you might have a slow response..

You might want to check your pcv valve to see if it's bad and have a place for free check your gas cap. For evap you gotta fill your tank up past 50%-75% I think it is for the system to even try. The cat I wouldn't even worry about... it won't even run till heated is in a pass state (from my experience). Our evap system is very basic and pretty easy to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
6 months ago, I had a bad MAF that caused me to fail emissions. Two MAF replacements later (faulty), I brought my car home, drove it for a few hundred miles over the course of a weekend or two and took it back in to retest...Fail...it was then that I learned that just because it wasn't throwing codes, there could be incomplete tests. I've driven, oh, 2000 miles or so since (all types of driving) and I was still seeing O2 (not heated) and Catalyst incomplete. I was starting to think I had a bad 02 sensor. Then I found this thread and one from a Hyundai tech in which he answered this similarly to what I found here. I did learn, however, that the Catalyst test won't even run until the 02 shows complete (same for Evap). So, tonight, for the umpteenth time, I went out for a drive cycle. Merging the suggestions from both threads...

Cold start (1 min idle first)
Accelerate to 55 MPH at 25% throttle. Set CC and drive 8-10 mins (I did 8.5 because that's where I found an offramp long enough for the next step)
Coast to 20mph (no brake or clutch), then stop and idle for 10 sec
Turn the key off and wait for 1 min

Viola! No incompletes! I thought I was going to have to do a second, modified, cycle per recommendations, but both completed during the same cycle! I was about to throw in the towel- 6 MONTHS!!! Sheesh! Thank you all!

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
6 months ago, I had a bad MAF that caused me to fail emissions. Two MAF replacements later (faulty), I brought my car home, drove it for a few hundred miles over the course of a weekend or two and took it back in to retest...Fail...it was then that I learned that just because it wasn't throwing codes, there could be incomplete tests. I've driven, oh, 2000 miles or so since (all types of driving) and I was still seeing O2 (not heated) and Catalyst incomplete. I was starting to think I had a bad 02 sensor. Then I found this thread and one from a Hyundai tech in which he answered this similarly to what I found here. I did learn, however, that the Catalyst test won't even run until the 02 shows complete (same for Evap). So, tonight, for the umpteenth time, I went out for a drive cycle. Merging the suggestions from both threads...

Cold start (1 min idle first)
Accelerate to 55 MPH at 25% throttle. Set CC and drive 8-10 mins (I did 8.5 because that's where I found an offramp long enough for the next step)
Coast to 20mph (no brake or clutch), then stop and idle for 10 sec
Turn the key off and wait for 1 min

Viola! No incompletes! I thought I was going to have to do a second, modified, cycle per recommendations, but both completed during the same cycle! I was about to throw in the towel- 6 MONTHS!!! Sheesh! Thank you all!
I followed your steps exactly and I was able to turn on the incomplete Drive Cycle monitors - O2 sensor and catalytic converter. Thx for sharing!! :grin2:

·
Administrator
9,107 Posts
I followed your steps exactly and I was able to turn on the incomplete Drive Cycle monitors - O2 sensor and catalytic converter. Thx for sharing!! :grin2:
Talk about a NT OG still getting good info from the site!!:grin2::wink2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the answer to the evap not ready problem. So I have an 03 and for 1-1/2 months of driving the supposed correct drive cycle I still couldn't ge all the readiness tivturn green. So last night I tried putting the front wheels off the floor set up on Jack stands and drove it in drive up to 55 mph and held it steady atcm 55 for 8+ minutes the stut it off waited 30 seconds. No engine lights no pending either. Bingo ny scanner said all readiness was done, finally get to go get it tested after 1-1/2months of driving the cycles time aftertime. So try it out for all the different systems to come ready it works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem with emissions, theres 2 specific readiness that only registers after driving for 10 min on the freeway at 65-75 mph. Just take it for a long ride on the freeway and you should be good. Check my post if your still having issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with emissions, theres 2 specific readiness that only registers after driving for 10 min on the freeway at 65-75 mph. Just take it for a long ride on the freeway and you should be good. Check my post if your still having issues.
I’ll check it out I’m also having the same issues.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts