Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Thanks to Bradman from Supraforums.com for the great write up.

Brad's Engine Detail Secrets
1) Go to Auto Zone. Get 2 cans of GUNK Foamy Engine Brite engine cleaner.

2) Get 2 cans of CD2 Engine Detail Spray-If you can't find it at Auto Zone.

3) Get a plastic shopping bag (Assuming all of you have a aftermarket intake.)

4) Let the engine get totally cool and dry. Cover the intake with the plastic bag and apply the GUNK Foamy Engine Brite. I prefer to do this step at the power washer, because the power washer will REALLY get rid of all the dirt in the hard to get spots.

5) Let the GUNK sit for 5 minutes, and then if you have a REAL dirty engine bay, use a brush and scrub the most dirty areas with the brush.

6) Spray off engine compartment. Use power washer at this step if you really want a clean engine compartment.

7) Repeat this process again without the brush. This will assure all the dirt has been washed away.

8) Let the engine completely dry.

9) Apply the CD-2 Engine Detailer. Let it soak on the engine for 20 minutes. Wipe down the entire engine, although the instructions do not say this. This will make the shine much better and remove the excess detail spray.

10) Run the engine for 20 minutes with the hood open then drive it for 10 minutes. This will seal the coatings.

11) Use Mothers Metal polish on any polished surfaces to bring out the shine.

That's it, and the motor will stay looking new for about a month, then you need to repeat the process.

Enjoy

Before and After

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've always used the CD2..and it works great...
the only thing is, lately I've only seen
the CD2 Engine detailer by itself...not the two can kit.
My engine is always clean...so it works great without the
cleaner.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Exactly what I use...like Etropal said, most of the time the kit comes with the degreaser/cleaner and prep so I use that rather than buying the GUNK and cleaner by itself. But I used the GUNK on an ambulance engine bay and it worked great with the CD-2... I always cover up all the electrical components though...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yup... I used to use GUNK & CD2. Best combo ever. The 2 can CD2 pack is unnecessary----GUNK rules. I only cover up my cone filter, and don't worry about anything else. Either way, a much-needed DIY.

·
Registered
869 Posts
niubob21 said:
Yup... I used to use GUNK & CD2. Best combo ever. The 2 can CD2 pack is unnecessary----GUNK rules. I only cover up my cone filter, and don't worry about anything else. Either way, a much-needed DIY.
And don't forget to take the bag off your filter before you restart the car! LOL
*I know sounds stupid, but I clean my engine bay first then close the hood and wash the outside. After that I roll her back in the garage to wax. Well you can see how you can forget.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice Diy..

So you dont have to cover alternator and sensors at all?
and the CD2 clearner & prep doesnt need at all?

just want to make sure..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I did this today. Just cover your cone air filter if you have one. Don't worry about the alternator. If you have any frayed wires----take care of them!!

Additional tips:
- Get 2 cans of the GUNK stuff, but just 1of the CD2. 2 of CD2 is overkill.
- Cover the sides and windshield with towels to prevent overspray and possible damage of the paint.
- Wash the exterior of the car after cleaning the engine just in case of any overspray!

Here are some "during the process" pics:
With GUNK foam on:

WIth CD2 on and not embedded (no soaking in yet): (Looks pretty damn shiney eh?)

Simple positioning of towels:

And to show you the effectiveness of the GUNK degreaser, look at my intake manifold before and after!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
1) Should I disconnect the battery when I do this?
2) Other than the cone air filter is there anything else that needs to be covered (elecronics)?
3) Will that gunk stuff work on chrome rims? (I want to clean the interior area of the rims that gets all dirty
and you cant reach easilly wihout taking off the rim)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Solo2Tib said:
Thanks to Bradman from Supraforums.com for the great write up.

Brad's Engine Detail Secrets
1) Go to Auto Zone. Get 2 cans of GUNK Foamy Engine Brite engine cleaner.

2) Get 2 cans of CD2 Engine Detail Spray-If you can't find it at Auto Zone get it here.
http://midwayautosupply.com/detaile...iption.asp?1079

3) Get a plastic shopping bag (Assuming all of you have a aftermarket intake.)

4) Let the engine get totally cool and dry. Cover the intake with the plastic bag and apply the GUNK Foamy Engine Brite. I prefer to do this step at the power washer, because the power washer will REALLY get rid of all the dirt in the hard to get spots.

5) Let the GUNK sit for 5 minutes, and then if you have a REAL dirty engine bay, use a brush and scrub the most dirty areas with the brush.

6) Spray off engine compartment. Use power washer at this step if you really want a clean engine compartment.

7) Repeat this process again without the brush. This will assure all the dirt has been washed away.

8) Let the engine completely dry.

9) Apply the CD-2 Engine Detailer. Let it soak on the engine for 20 minutes. Wipe down the entire engine, although the instructions do not say this. This will make the shine much better and remove the excess detail spray.

10) Run the engine for 20 minutes with the hood open then drive it for 10 minutes. This will seal the coatings.

11) Use Mothers Metal polish on any polished surfaces to bring out the shine.

That's it, and the motor will stay looking new for about a month, then you need to repeat the process.

Enjoy

Before and After

whoever that is, seems to live on a dirt road. it does look real nice cleaned up though. we just have the problem of sand here in Florida. Unless of course, you live in a trailer on a dirt road. Florida has plenty of those. LMAO!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

2) Other than the cone air filter is there anything else that needs to be covered (elecronics)?
3) Will that gunk stuff work on chrome rims? (I want to clean the interior area of the rims that gets all dirty

·
Registered
124 Posts
So basically if you have a CAI and the filter is out of the way of spraying anyways, theres nothing you need to cover besides the exterior paint and the windshield?

I'm not good with cars so I'm hesitant to just start spraying and stuff. I keep getting told newer engines you have to be real careful where you spray. This is just a myth? Since I have a CAI I just put towels around the exterior and go to town?

Thanks for this info!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It looks to me like armorall was used because if you look toward the lower left hand corner only the top of that is clean not the side and if it was a spray it would have got that

·
Registered
541 Posts
Jason0785 said:
It looks to me like armorall was used because if you look toward the lower left hand corner only the top of that is clean not the side and if it was a spray it would have got that
Perhaps he missed a spot? :3_yes:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Uneek said:

1. nope
2. i covered the alternator just in case... kinda hard to get to. i just layed a plastic bag on top of it
3. no clue. but i wouldnt try it. thats just me though. take the rims off one by one and clean em and polish them with a chrome polish or somethin.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts