Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wondering if anyone else has had the issue of their compressor seizing up and causing their belt to get hot enough to the point it was smoking.

Is this a common issue with the tiburon? I use the car as my daily and cannot afford a new vehicle if this one breaks down.

It started smoking while it was idling while the A/C was on, my system has a leak in the lines so there's little to no freon left. I shut the car off looked under the hood and saw smoke rising from the belt near the compressor.

I turned the car to accessory, turned my heating and cooling system completely off, waited for the smoke to stop, and started my car back up. It didn't start smoking again.

I get the inner pulley system, which is the one that actually makes the A/C kick on, is seized while the outer ring is working perfectly fine. I am just wondering what could cause that to be the case.

I get that debris or clogs in the system could be it, but could it be it was running with no freon so the inside of the compressor wasn't properly lubed up?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the cause and what was done to fix it/ what ended up happening?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what's caused your compressor to seize, but chances are you have a clutched ac compressor, so when the ac is turned off, the clutch isn't engaging whatever is seized inside of the compressor. As long as you leave the AC off, you should probably be ok for the time being. If you plan to fix your AC, it'll probably require a new compressor, AC line/fix your leaks, refrigerant, and a serpentine belt wouldn't be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the insight, my question though is that I know it could be a little tricky knowing exactly what happened to seize it up but I now remember that a (small chickadee-sized) bird ended up landing on the road.

I couldn't swerve to miss it and I couldn't slow down to give it time to fly away so I went over it. didn't hit it with my tire but it started flying before I went over it. Could it possibly be that it hit my car underneath and got stuck in the clutch and caused problems?

I didn't see it after I tried going over it, as to not run it over. Checked to see if it was in my grill or underbody /engine. Couldn't find it, so thought nothing of it until now.

I know it's a little absurd but I was wondering if something as small as that bird could cause my A/C to stop working?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you for the insight, my question though is that I know it could be a little tricky knowing exactly what happened to seize it up but I now remember that a (small chickadee-sized) bird ended up landing on the road.

I couldn't swerve to miss it and I couldn't slow down to give it time to fly away so I went over it. didn't hit it with my tire but it started flying before I went over it. Could it possibly be that it hit my car underneath and got stuck in the clutch and caused problems?

I didn't see it after I tried going over it, as to not run it over. Checked to see if it was in my grill or underbody /engine. Couldn't find it, so thought nothing of it until now.

I know it's a little absurd but I was wondering if something as small as that bird could cause my A/C to stop working?
It's theoretically possible, but it seems unlikely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts