Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think that an engine block heater is worth it? I live is Mass and the winter isnt too bad, i just didnt know if it was really benificial on cold days.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
5W-30 has a lower temp range of -54 degrees. 10w-30 has a lower temp of -45. if it is going to get colder than -40 then sure go for it. if not, dont waste your money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The weather in Mass isn't cold enough to require a block heater. I live in Québec city and some nights it gets to -40°C. If you have a good battery no need for a block heater. Block heaters at the dealership over here costs $28 Cdn. (+ tax = $75 lol)

·
Registered
2 Posts
guys the importance of a bock heater beyond assured starting in sub zero temperatures is listed in your owners manual.,that is how important manufacturers feel about cold starts. Anyone familiar with equipment and cold weather already knows this..cold starts hurt the engines longevity. Cranking up a frozen engine to start and the first few minutes of running in -20 degrees, does damage (however small) to the internals of the engine and adds up over a period of time to shorten engine life. That is also rhe reason engines in the equitorial zones as in southern US it is not unusual to have a 250,000 Mile (400,000 km) life span. installing a block heater Is a no brainer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts