Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
i just bought a 1995 Hyundai Accent. i was wondering if anyone could tell me what engines are compatible with it because lets face it, 92hp is no fun at all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hey guys, i been reading all of the posts on this tread but it comes to my cueosity is that i have dug a little info and reserch my self but you guys dont mention anything about the head

ive read on a differnt form someone said that the beta 2 got like i think but not too sur 3 different heads on just the I4

i recently got a used assembly from a junk yard and the motor is out of a 2003 elantra

the head off that motor is compleatly different to the one from the GK 2003 tiburon I4 beta 2

now tell me if u guys can answer this for me

do you know for a fact at all if i deside to not return this junkyard motor and throw it into the 2003 tiburon that it will fire up and not give any issues with the different head

the iffy part about engen swaping is the ECU and the diffent heads, they litterly dont look the same and the numbers on them dont even match up at all

ALSO is the head BETTER from the GK 2003 tiburon or is there no differances, ive also seen the numbers stamped on the cams, they dont even match up

sereusly i think the elantra motor(block is the same on both elantra and tiburon for sure both r the XD20 block cast iron) BUT like i said what about the head?

now THATS and inportant question ied like answered =D

·
Registered
60 Posts
hey guys, i been reading all of the posts on this tread but it comes to my cueosity is that i have dug a little info and reserch my self but you guys dont mention anything about the head

ive read on a differnt form someone said that the beta 2 got like i think but not too sur 3 different heads on just the I4

i recently got a used assembly from a junk yard and the motor is out of a 2003 elantra

the head off that motor is compleatly different to the one from the GK 2003 tiburon I4 beta 2

now tell me if u guys can answer this for me

do you know for a fact at all if i deside to not return this junkyard motor and throw it into the 2003 tiburon that it will fire up and not give any issues with the different head

the iffy part about engen swaping is the ECU and the diffent heads, they litterly dont look the same and the numbers on them dont even match up at all

ALSO is the head BETTER from the GK 2003 tiburon or is there no differances, ive also seen the numbers stamped on the cams, they dont even match up

sereusly i think the elantra motor(block is the same on both elantra and tiburon for sure both r the XD20 block cast iron) BUT like i said what about the head?

now THATS and inportant question ied like answered =D

Did you do the swap? how'd it turn out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, sorry for this question somebody can help me and tell me if i can do this??
I blew my engine tib 2003 2.7 manual six speed and i found another engine a 2.7 automatic 2004 tib. I can swap this engine 2.7 automatic 04 on my 2.7 six speed manual??

Best Regards!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Hi, sorry for this question somebody can help me and tell me if i can do this??
I blew my engine tib 2003 2.7 manual six speed and i found another engine a 2.7 automatic 2004 tib. I can swap this engine 2.7 automatic 04 on my 2.7 six speed manual??

Best Regards!!!
I'm not 100% sure, but reasonably sure. Biggest difference is to remove the flexplate off the "new engine" and then install the flywheel & clutch from the "old engine".
I believe the engine harnesses are the same between the '03 & '04.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On a side note, as far as engines that fit into the Tiburon:

The 1.6L i4 Alpha engine used in Non-USA markets, should be a factory drop-in
The 2.0L i4 Beta II eninge Factory drop-in
The 2.7L v6 Delta engine Factory drop-in
The 3.3L v6 Lambda engine (can be made to fit with modification)
The 3.5L v6 Sigma engine (can be made to fit with modification)

So I can swap a Lambda or a Sigma in my 2001 Tiburon?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I'd check first to see what it takes to switch to the beta 2 engine to the RD, if that's a direct bolt in, then these would work as they say here as well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This may come across a stupid question, with all the info on this thread. need to change the 2.0L engine in my 2003, and am looking for a used one, so the question is what years and models can I pull from ? Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lambda II GDi

This engine series includes Dual CVVT and GDI.

Applications:
2012- Hyundai Azera

The 3.3 L G6DH version was introduced with the 2012 Azera. The engine produces 290–294 hp (216–219 kW; 294–298 PS) at 6,400 rpm and 252–255 lb·ft (342–346 N·m) of torque at 5,200 rpm.

The Azera is a front wheel drive car or it use to be. The problem though is I think the engine only comes in an automatic. My 01 Tiburon is a 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what my question is. Will the 3.3l engine work with a 5 speed or 6 speed manual transmission because it only came in automatic versions in the sonata

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! I am looking for information on the engine internals for the beta 1 motor and if they're compatible with the engine internals for the Beta II, meaning are the engine internals for the beta 1 motor able to be used and run in the beta II.

I am specifically looking for the possibility of putting in a Camshaft and valves, retainers, and locators designed for the beta 1 motor into the beta II

any help is appreciated! Thanks so much!

:grin2:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wait wait wait, so Tiburons can undergo a suitable engine swap? I thought we were either limited to N/A or F/I.. Any idea how much a 3.3L V6 swap would cost?

Good post Gary, thanks.
Empire Enterprises corporation are located in Miami FL, they just quoted me with shipping to NC $1,595.00 on the 3.3 Also for the 3.5 the same price with shipping included. I just need to know before I purchase cause I just got a Tiburon yesterday, will it bolt on the 6speed tranny and if the mounts bolts on or what do I need to do???? HEEEEELP!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stumbled across this (OLD) thread looking for possible swaps... Wondering if a 3.3 from a newer Sante Fe/Sorento would swap in. Obviously there would be more complexity with the GDI stuff, but I'm thinking if I can find one that's wrecked I could scavange whatever I needed... Then there's the question of transmission compatibility... I'll do some digging - actually going to look at a 2008 3.8 from a Sorento tomorrow, but the newer GDI engines make more power. Decisions decisions....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Alright im new to this forum and i wanna know if you can put pieces of the beta 1 and beta 2 engine together like you can with the b series??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Many pieces of the beta-1 and beta-2 are interchangeable. I have put a mechanical lifter beta 2 cylinder head on a beta 1 engine block. I had to swap out all the sensors cam position sensor all that kind of stuff. But it works and ran, until I over revved it and blow it up my missing third gear shift in a drag race. The beta one has hydraulic lifters and powdered metal rods it is by far superior despite what everybody else we'll say about it. Does anybody have a 6-speed manual for the beta four-cylinder engine? They were only released in Korea. Last year a Korean man that could barely speak English quoted me over $1,000 for one and I still had to figure out how to get it to America.

·
Registered
0 Posts
bump

New info here.. I'm a mitsubishi guy. You know Kia and Hyundai licensed their V6 engine designs from Mitsubishi! (for the Delta and the Sigma).

The Mitsubishi Diamante has either a 3.0 or a 3.5 Engine which matches the orientation of the Hyundai 2.7 V6. I can not tell you specifics.. but I would not be surprised if the Diamante 3.5 is VERY close to the Sigma 3.5 you guys know, maybe different cam etc. It is 210hp SOHC (230-ish? TQ) in U.S. Diamante.. search Mitsubishi 6G74 to learn more.

Myself, I have a full 6-speed manual swap for a Tiburon GT, and I'm going to attempt a manual trans swap in my current Diamante (from 4 speed auto).

21 - 38 of 38 Posts