Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine started knocking below 1200 rpm which also means at idle. Weird thing is that above 1200rpm the sound goes away. Warm or cold it makes the sound below 1200 still so im lost on what the problem is. I do have enough full synthetic oil in there. 156k miles 2003 tiburon with no engine mods

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
its a 5 speed manual. knocking whenever the rps is below 1200rpm.

after doing some research people kept saying bad lifters or bad oil pump. i have no clue on it and my oil light never came on. After hearing the knocking sound for a few mins i shut off the engine and never cranked it again afterwards

when i rev pass 1200 the noise goes away and i have no lose in power either. Its like i can drive perfectly fine but the noise is so annoying

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hate to use caps >_< CHECK YOUR TIMING BELT NOW!!!!!
I didn't cuz the knock would go away when driving, It was bad bearings and then it siezed and my timing belt snapped and broke a whole bunch of **** and it cost me 2 grand to fix it all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If its ticking, search the forum for "So your engine is ticking." Mine was ticking even though I was using the right o filter. For real engine knock, like loud knock, I can't help you. But it sounds like ticking, since mine disappeared with throttle. If you close your hood and hear that "pen clicking" near the passenger front, even with the hood down, it's ticking. But a vid would be nice

·
Registered
2 Posts
its a 5 speed manual. knocking whenever the rps is below 1200rpm.

after doing some research people kept saying bad lifters or bad oil pump. i have no clue on it and my oil light never came on. After hearing the knocking sound for a few mins i shut off the engine and never cranked it again afterwards

when i rev pass 1200 the noise goes away and i have no lose in power either. Its like i can drive perfectly fine but the noise is so annoying
I have the same problem, was hoping it is just a thing woth the V6, i have a GTSE with the 2.7 V6, and have an odd idle knock, kinda sounds almost like a timing chain.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
The 2.7 doesn't have a timing chain per se. It does have a chain that connects the camshafts together. Those have a rubber spacer thing that keeps them under tension. If that is worn out then its possible the chain could be noisy. Low oil pressure at low rpms could also be a non oem oil filter. ONLY use oem filters on these cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts