Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have had my tibby for almost 2 years now, and I have replaced like 700 different things on it.
One thing that always bothered me but I was too lazy to replace is my lower engine mount.
all the other 3 mounts looks fairly new, and in a good shape, so I concluded that my engine rocking problem must be from the lower mount.
Well, being a combination of fatherhood of 2, laziness, and it-is-good-enough-for-a-17-year-old-car. I never checked my lower engine mount until couple of days ago.
AND the surprise ... it is not even attached to the frame! (sorry for the blurry picture)

and I found out the reason why, is because all the holes are stripped, and the bolts wont stay there.
After trial and error procedure, I think the correct bolts are M10x1.5
I tried to get SAE 7/16 bolts since those will be equivalent to 11.1mm in diameter, but they wouldn't fit through the mount itself.

So, my idea is (haters be ready ...)
The car has ~175K miles, and the mount is in a good shape, and that is probably the last mount in its life.
I will get a J-B-Weld strongest formula (can withstand 5000+ PSI),
  • put some JBW on the bolts
  • install the bolts
  • put some more JBW between the mount and the subframe
  • keep it supporter with a jack for ~12 hours or so
  • go hang out with Hank Hill and brag about my rednickiness accomplishment

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I do not have a welder, and do not know how to weld.
Helicoil is a nice approach, but would that withstand the weight of the engine?

zipties?

·
Super Moderator
8,689 Posts
Well, I do not have a welder, and do not know how to weld.
Helicoil is a nice approach, but would that withstand the weight of the engine?
View attachment 135152

zipties?
Properly done, helicoil is as good as original in steel, likely better than original in aluminum or other soft materials.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then Helicoil it is, I will try to work on it this week and update you with the results.

·
Super Moderator
8,689 Posts
Just take your time drilling it out so you're straight.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Holy **** that sucks! I don't know much about Helicoils, thank god, but I would probably tap it to a slightly larger thread and get new bolts for that thread size.
Interested to see how the Helicoil works out, though!

·
Super Moderator
8,689 Posts
Holy **** that sucks! I don't know much about Helicoils, thank god, but I would probably tap it to a slightly larger thread and get new bolts for that thread size.
Bigger bolt will work, but also may need to drill out whatever is getting mounted to allow for a bigger bolt.
Some peeps may just install helicoils in soft material (like aluminum) that come apart often.
Really want a fix, "OMG" thread locker on the OD of a helicoil when assembling, then lube bolts prior to installing.
Helicoils are maybe steel or (more likely) SS.....lube limits thread galling..
Crooked helicoil install means crooked bolt install.....whole new set of issues.....sigh....BTDT.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as Charlie mentioned, the next bigger size is SAE 7-16, which is about 11.1mm in diameter, that does not fit through the mount.

Bigger bolt will work, but also may need to drill out whatever is getting mounted to allow for a bigger bolt.
Some peeps may just install helicoils in soft material (like aluminum) that come apart often.
Really want a fix, "OMG" thread locker on the OD of a helicoil when assembling, then lube bolts prior to installing.
Helicoils are maybe steel or (more likely) SS.....lube limits thread galling..
Crooked helicoil install means crooked bolt install.....whole new set of issues.....sigh....BTDT.....
I think I already missed up one of the holes with a not-so-straight coil!
So aborted the helicoil idea and went back to the JB Weld but with another addition now..
I put JBW in the bolt holes, between the mount and the frame, and on the edges of the mount after installing it.
THEN, I am getting some kind of metal band tie and wrapping it around the mount-frame assembly, there is enough space on top of the frame to get something around, I have already ran 3 long zipties across the mount-frame to hold it in place till the JBW fully cure.
So I will try to get some heavy duty metal tie thing and replace the zipties with it.

Worst case scenario, everything fall aparts, then I will take the car to a welding shop and ask them to weld the mount to the frame for me.

Will keep you guys updated on how everything goes.

·
Super Moderator
8,689 Posts
Sooo.......you loaded the stripped holes with JB weld? If so, did you clean the bolts, grease, then "thread in" before wrapping stuff together?

Welding stuff together and then sell is crude, you keeping it.....sigh....I see issues...

You're in the US, PM me and maybe we chat offline and followup here....not the first time I have done it.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sooo.......you loaded the stripped holes with JB weld? If so, did you clean the bolts, grease, then "thread in" before wrapping stuff together?

Welding stuff together and then sell is crude, you keeping it.....sigh....I see issues...

You're in the US, PM me and maybe we chat offline and followup here....not the first time I have done it.....
To be clear from the beginning, I am not thinking of selling my car any time soon. Fixing it to drive it till the wheels fall off.
So, I am not doing this as a cover-up to sell the car only.

What I did before putting any JBW, I cleaned the mount very very well with a wire brush + brake cleaner, wiped it, and let it dry.
and did the same thing with where the mount would go on the frame, cleaned it very well, holes and surface, and let it dry.
Then I filled the holes with JBW, spread some more on the surface between the holes (where the mount will rest), installed the mount, applied more JBW to the edges, then supported everything with the zipties to make sure nothing moves until the JBW filly cure.

Not my finest work, but take a look at the picture below.
I think anything beats what I had, which was driving the car for ~2 years without a lower mount at all !!
The one black bolt that is not all the way in, is because of the crooked coil, this is as far as I could get it in.

P.S. that white stuff in the mount is Polyurethane, wanted to experiment with some stiffer mounts :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
To be clear from the beginning, I am not thinking of selling my car any time soon. Fixing it to drive it till the wheels fall off.
So, I am not doing this as a cover-up to sell the car only.

What I did before putting any JBW, I cleaned the mount very very well with a wire brush + brake cleaner, wiped it, and let it dry.
and did the same thing with where the mount would go on the frame, cleaned it very well, holes and surface, and let it dry.
Then I filled the holes with JBW, spread some more on the surface between the holes (where the mount will rest), installed the mount, applied more JBW to the edges, then supported everything with the zipties to make sure nothing moves until the JBW filly cure.

Not my finest work, but take a look at the picture below.
I think anything beats what I had, which was driving the car for ~2 years without a lower mount at all !!
The one black bolt that is not all the way in, is because of the crooked coil, this is as far as I could get it in.

P.S. that white stuff in the mount is Polyurethane, wanted to experiment with some stiffer mounts :p

View attachment 135161
How broke are Tib owners? See picture. 😝
In all seriousness, I bet this can be fixed for cheap by a muffler shop. I love DIY too, but if u plan on keeping the Tib long, get it done right!

But thanks for risking the ‘what if’ scenario for us. 🍻

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How broke are Tib owners? See picture. 😝
In all seriousness, I bet this can be fixed for cheap by a muffler shop. I love DIY too, but if u plan on keeping the Tib long, get it done right!

But thanks for risking the ‘what if’ scenario for us. 🍻
LOL!!
Honestly it is down to 3 things:
1. the DIY aspect of it, since I have JBW laying around, and I wanted to see how strong it is.
2. one more thing to fix on my Tibby, and my wife will start her broken record again, (why won't you buy a normal car like normal people, buy a decent car!). It is not about the money, I make enough to buy whatever car I want, it is just that I love my Tiburon, and I like working on it.
3. and the most important part, no time! I get back from work at 6, and weekends are a no no! so whatever I can accomplish in the evening time is my best bet.

but ya .. Tiburon owners are broke 😂

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same issue but what i did is i drilled out the original threaded mount holes and had threaded studs welded in. Now to remove the mount you take off 3 locking nuts and slide it off the studs instead of pulling out the 3 bolts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts